Rough Riders!

For Collectors & Users of Rough Rider Brand Knives.
Ivoryman

Re: Rough Riders!

Post by Ivoryman »

I'm not into RR and don't own any, but do have some ivory handled knives. Saw these at my usual ivory dealer. He used to rehandle Frost, now it's RR. At least it's a better knife. My question to all you RR fans out there is who's got one in ivory? How about thousands and thousands of years old Mammoth? How about telling me who among you would pay $85-95 for blems and $145 for full price RRs? Anyone? Ever? Maybe? I thought the whole appeal was price point, and never have seen exotic scales on one. Of course this is aftermarket, but would love to hear thoughts on this. Check them out at least, you don't see this at your RR dealers. No way. Can't believe.

https://www.boonetrading.com/collection ... g-knife-21

https://www.boonetrading.com/collection ... g-knife-08

https://www.boonetrading.com/collection ... g-knife-15
Attachments
Mammoth_Ivory_Handled_Folding_Knife_21 (1).jpg
"It's what people know about themselves inside that makes them afraid." -No Name, High Plains Drifter
TwoFlowersLuggage
Location: Stuck in traffic on a highway in Southern California

Post by TwoFlowersLuggage »

It is perhaps a more interesting question than at first blush. My first question might be: what does a "quality" production knife (eg. GEC, or even Case), handled in ivory sell for? If the answer to that question is $500+, then YES, I would buy a RR in ivory for $100, because the reality is that otherwise I will never own a knife in ivory. OTOH, if I can get a better quality knife in ivory for ~$200, then I would probably not be interested in the RR.

Personally, I think that reseller would be better off using a Case or Buck and increasing the price by $30-$50.
"The Luggage had a straightforward way of dealing with things between it and its intended destination: it ignored them." -Terry Pratchett
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

I have a Camillus 1047 (Scout version of the 72) that Wallace Rockwell rehandled for me in pre-ban elephant ivory. I bought the ivory, provided the knife and Wallace did the work. I don't recall specifically but I think I have appx. $100 or so tied up in the project. All that to say this, "No, even though I have several Rough Ryders, I would not pay more than ~$30 for one". Geez, I used to get them from Kyknives on ebay for under $10 but they're now $10-$20 and some over $20.
Attachments
Camillus_1047_Scout_Elephant_Ivory - Labeled.JPG
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
TwoFlowersLuggage
Location: Stuck in traffic on a highway in Southern California

Post by TwoFlowersLuggage »

Gorgeous scout Jerry! I suspect you would get a lot more than $100 for that sweet thang... ::tu::
"The Luggage had a straightforward way of dealing with things between it and its intended destination: it ignored them." -Terry Pratchett
dlr110
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by dlr110 »

jerryd6818 wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 8:10 am I have a Camillus 1047 (Scout version of the 72) that Wallace Rockwell rehandled for me in pre-ban elephant ivory. I bought the ivory, provided the knife and Wallace did the work. I don't recall specifically but I think I have appx. $100 or so tied up in the project. All that to say this, "No, even though I have several Rough Ryders, I would not pay more than ~$30 for one". Geez, I used to get them from Kyknives on ebay for under $10 but they're now $10-$20 and some over $20.
Jerry that is a splendid knife, I wish it was in my collection, but if I were you I wouldn't let it go for just about any price.
David R (United States Navy Retired)
Don't just count your many blessings, be the blessing others count on!
Visit my website: Woodburning Art by David https://www.wdbydavid.com/
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Thanks gents. I went through a phase and had several rehandled by various knife mechanics. I think my favorite is a tie between 6 of them. The ivory by Wallace Rockwell, a stag handle by Herman Williams, another stag handle by Elvis (Bob Picklesimer), a ram's horn by I've forgotten who, a gold lip pearl handle by Wallace Rockwell and PCB (printed circuit board) by Glen.

The Camillus 72 and it's clones are not a one trick pony.
Attachments
Camillus 72 Gold Lip Pearl - Labeled.JPG
Schrade 863 H Willliiams - Labeled.JPG
Stag Handles by Bob Picklesimer (Elvis) - Labeled.JPG
Ckt Board Stanley Custom by Glenn Trowbridge (Glennbad) (10-28-18) Labeled.JPG
PowrKraft Ram's Horn - Labeled.JPG
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
Ivoryman

Post by Ivoryman »

jerryd6818 wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 8:10 am I have a Camillus 1047 (Scout version of the 72) that Wallace Rockwell rehandled for me in pre-ban elephant ivory. I bought the ivory, provided the knife and Wallace did the work. I don't recall specifically but I think I have appx. $100 or so tied up in the project. All that to say this, "No, even though I have several Rough Ryders, I would not pay more than ~$30 for one". Geez, I used to get them from Kyknives on ebay for under $10 but they're now $10-$20 and some over $20.
Beauty Jerry, fabulous piece of tusk, that makes a one of a kind. Never seen one in ivory and was worth the look. Wow.
"It's what people know about themselves inside that makes them afraid." -No Name, High Plains Drifter
cody6268

Post by cody6268 »

Colonel26 wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 2:28 am I got my first ever RR. I was bombed tonight. I must admit, it’s a well made knife. And unique too. I like it.

30FBC39A-268D-4372-BAA5-F04876211B7D.jpegF3E915A8-8355-40BF-B49F-1FDA33619214.jpegED676A44-37A4-4190-8E21-A34802EC562A.jpeg
Nice! Are there some RRs that are exclusive to Blue Ridge associated dealers? As, SMKW had none, but both the Half Hawk and Trapper from this series were on eBay, from the same sellers I often buy RR from and who dropship through Blue Ridge. And this one isn't the first I've never found on SMKW, but found through Blue Ridge.

I'd love to see the Linerlock Trapper get this same treatment of green bone and a clip, which to me is especially sensible in that it is a one-hand opening lockblade knife already. Strange the Boker and Case they combined to create the design both have pocket clips, but theirs does not.
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Colonel26 »

cody6268 wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 6:58 pm
Colonel26 wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 2:28 am I got my first ever RR. I was bombed tonight. I must admit, it’s a well made knife. And unique too. I like it.

30FBC39A-268D-4372-BAA5-F04876211B7D.jpegF3E915A8-8355-40BF-B49F-1FDA33619214.jpegED676A44-37A4-4190-8E21-A34802EC562A.jpeg
Nice! Are there some RRs that are exclusive to Blue Ridge associated dealers? As, SMKW had none, but both the Half Hawk and Trapper from this series were on eBay, from the same sellers I often buy RR from and who dropship through Blue Ridge. And this one isn't the first I've never found on SMKW, but found through Blue Ridge.

I'd love to see the Linerlock Trapper get this same treatment of green bone and a clip, which to me is especially sensible in that it is a one-hand opening lockblade knife already. Strange the Boker and Case they combined to create the design both have pocket clips, but theirs does not.
This one came from Chicago Knife Works.
“There are things in the old Book which I may not be able to explain, but I fully accept it as the infallible word of God, and receive its teachings as inspired by the Holy Spirit.”
Robert E. Lee
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Quote Jerry: " I used to get them from Kyknives on ebay for under $10"
KYknives used to have a different name but it is the same ebay seller that i bought a great many RR's from (over 100) beginning in 2007. Every knife he sent me was 'right on'. None had any issues.
But i would read posts from people who said their RR knives arrived with some sort of problem. Made me wonder if some dealers buy/sell 'seconds', if RR actually sells 'seconds' ?
Somehow Kyknives always had 'the best' quality RR knives.
kj
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Here are 2 nice RR bone Trappers.
kj
Attachments
IMGP9733.JPG
IMGP9734.JPG
dlr110
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by dlr110 »

Those are very nice kj. Did you just get them and where? :D
treefarmer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by treefarmer »

David, I agree, KJ's two RR trappers are mighty nice. I especially like the one with the big whitetail and the acorn!
I may have shown this little prize earlier, it was included in my birthday gifts:
RR knife pick, it's as handy as a pocket on a shirt!
RR knife pick, it's as handy as a pocket on a shirt!
I have a pick on my key ring, a Remington, shaped like a rifle cartridge. It is very handy but this lil' dude is on my on the desk and is ready at all times!
Treefarmer

A GUN IN THE HAND IS BETTER THAN A COP ON THE PHONE.
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

dlr110 wrote: Mon Oct 05, 2020 12:03 pm Those are very nice kj. Did you just get them and where? :D
I bought them about 10 ? years ago on ebay. The seller was a silversmith whose work was reasonably well known. He would put one or two up each week for auction. They rarely went over $30 and i felt badly that he was getting so little money for his excellent work. I emailed him and offered more money which he accepted and suggested he sell them at a fixed price instead of auction.
kj
Attachments
IMGP9735.JPG
IMGP9736.JPG
Old Folder
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Old Folder »

Those are very nice kj. ::groove::
Appears as if the maker had to sand down the bone jigging in order to perform his inlay? Excellent work.
It's always important to know what you don't know.
Dan
Old Folder
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Old Folder »

I received the below "Rough Ryders Heavy Forge" knives a couple weeks ago from SMKW. Very pleased with them. Excellent workmanship.
These guys are heavy duty, with thick individual back springs, all blades have half stops.
The Trapper #RR 1976 and the Trapper #RR 1977 are $14.99 each at SMKW. Beautiful smooth brown bone, the Trapper could pass for "Appaloosa"
If you are a RR collector, don't pass these up. As of this posting...still in stock.

IMG_0013.JPG
IMG_0014.JPG
IMG_0015.JPG
IMG_0012.JPG
IMG_0016.JPG
Dan
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Old Folder wrote: Mon Oct 05, 2020 6:14 pm Those are very nice kj. ::groove::
Appears as if the maker had to sand down the bone jigging in order to perform his inlay? Excellent work.
Dan i don't know how he managed to get such perfect inlays but they are flush with the bone so likely the sanding was done after the inlay was inserted.
I wish i had kept his name. He was an older gent whose son was also a silversmith. I'm sure if he could be located he would do inlay work on knives you sent him.
kj
Attachments
IMGP9738.JPG
IMGP9739.JPG
IMGP9737.JPG
Ripster
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Ripster »

kootenay joe wrote: Mon Oct 05, 2020 11:24 pm
Old Folder wrote: Mon Oct 05, 2020 6:14 pm Those are very nice kj. ::groove::
Dan i don't know how he managed to get such perfect inlays but they are flush with the bone so likely the sanding was done after the inlay was inserted.
I wish i had kept his name. He was an older gent whose son was also a silversmith. I'm sure if he could be located he would do inlay work on knives you sent him.
kj
Beautiful knifes Sir, that Colt in the middle with Bear paw is stunning. Thanks for posting the RR knives.
JP
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Thanks Rip. I had a few more but gifted them to friends, who were very grateful.
kj
jwwood

Post by jwwood »

Nice work on the Colts. Enjoyed looking at these knives. ::tu::
dlr110
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by dlr110 »

Very impressive knives and the inlay work too, thanks for sharing everyone. ::tu::
marinaio61

Post by marinaio61 »

I gave RR a chance with a High Carbon Canoe pattern and was never more disappointed in the workmanship of a knife. The G-10 scale ends were so far above the bolsters I think I could have cut myself holding the knife, the gaps between springs and liners started out acceptably small but actually widened over a period of about a month. Sorry to say they had their chance and blew it, shame too because they are about the only one making those great vintage patterns affordable.
Old Folder
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Old Folder »

marinaio61 wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 8:08 pm I gave RR a chance with a High Carbon Canoe pattern and was never more disappointed in the workmanship of a knife. The G-10 scale ends were so far above the bolsters I think I could have cut myself holding the knife, the gaps between springs and liners started out acceptably small but actually widened over a period of about a month. Sorry to say they had their chance and blew it, shame too because they are about the only one making those great vintage patterns affordable.
Welcome to AAPK marinaio61. ::handshake::
I have never noticed any of the imperfections you stated above with any RR I have. ::shrug::
Perhaps you received a "Lemon RR?" Give them one more chance, may change your mind?
I suggest one of two Rough Ryder Heavy Forge Knives. The RR1977 Stockman, or the RR1976 Trapper.
Both are available at smkw.com $14.99 each.
I posted the pics in a above post, however, I will repost three of the pics again here.

IMG_0012.JPG
IMG_0013.JPG
IMG_0014.JPG
Dan
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

Marianaio, Sorry to learn of your disappointment with the RR. Tho not a big collector of RRs I do have a small handful and each of them is decently made. I know that a bad experience is a big turn off yet I would second the thoughts of Old Folder. If you are willing, try one more time buying from a different seller and see what turns up.
marinaio61

Post by marinaio61 »

Quick Steel, Old Folder; I could use a replacement for my old 34OT, it has earned its retirement. Maybe I will try RR one more time since it's a "disposable" priced item.

Return to “Rough Rider Knife Forum”