RRR 006 Sunfish & RRR 007 Nomad Now in Stock

A place to discuss & share pictures of knives made in China.
Old Folder
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

RRR 006 Sunfish & RRR 007 Nomad Now in Stock

Post by Old Folder »

The RRR 006 Rhino Toe and RRR 007 Nomad Hunter are now in stock at SMKW.

You may want to order now if your still interested. If they sell out quickly it will take "who knows how long for a restock?)
I am on the Smoky "email me when in stock" list, however, I have not received a email as of yet.

Dan
It's always important to know what you don't know.
Dan
Beavertail

Re: RRR 006 Sunfish & RRR 007 Nomad Now in Stock

Post by Beavertail »

Thanks Dan! ::handshake::
I'm on SMKW email notification list and didn't get it.
Tim
Beavertail

Post by Beavertail »

Got the email notification this morning.
Tim
Beavertail

Post by Beavertail »

Got the Rhino toe and Nomad hunter in the mail today.
I'm disappointed with the Rhino toe but the Nomad folding hunter is very nice.
Tim
Louisville.Boy1947

Post by Louisville.Boy1947 »

I purchased both the Nomad and Rhino Toe. I have returned tbe Rhino Toe due to cracks in the micarta in the cover on the pile side. These cracks were not terrible, but why accept defective products especially when you are paying up for what is claimed to better quality ? To the credit of SMKW they did not hesitate to offer replacement or refund. As an aside the representative I talked with said 200 were in stock (today) with 10 being sold today (4pm).
The Nomad had issue with the micarta but after an hour of work with Flitz polish this knife is now acceptable. I wanted another lockback so I will keep this knife. Metal work and lockup is as good as any knife I have.
I wish I could recommend both of these (Nomad and Rhino) knives but unfortunately that is not going to happen. Whether I buy any additional "Reserve" knives ...well the jury is still out on whether I mellow out after this sour taste. I have four other "Reserve" knives that I was well pleased with the quality. Too bad these two did not measure up. My advice is to stick with the inexpensive Marble's or regular Rough Ryder knives!
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

Pictures, man, pictures. ::tu::
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
Louisville.Boy1947

RedRyder, you asked for pictures. As I noted I returned the Rhino and did not bother with pictures. Pictures of the Nomad will be added to this post. The small black spots in the handles are what I would call imperfections. These are less pronounced after a lot of polishing with Flitz. The bolster already shows the pivot pin outline.
D503FCC1-423B-41C9-B350-28D5733DFE84.jpeg
. The pictures make the covers look better than they do in the hand.
Attachments
A9801B33-2A01-4C88-AF74-D6ED9B681729.jpeg
66BF4E1B-2AB7-47AA-AC4D-9CC9E769A4E5.jpeg
36CA442E-6703-473B-889D-A48ED0C91C7F.jpeg
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

Thanks for the pictures! Those black spots are strange. Could they be manufacturing grime?

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
Beavertail

Post by Beavertail »

Louisville.Boy1947 wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 1:55 am RedRyder, you asked for pictures. As I noted I returned the Rhino and did not bother with pictures. Pictures of the Nomad will be added to this post. The small black spots in the handles are what I would call imperfections. These are less pronounced after a lot of polishing with Flitz. The bolster already shows the pivot pin outline. D503FCC1-423B-41C9-B350-28D5733DFE84.jpeg. The pictures make the covers look better than they do in the hand.
It looks like you might have got a factory second. ::td::
The Rhino toe and Nomad hunter I got are cosmetically fine but I don't like the blade configuration on the Rhino toe.
I've included a photo but it not too good.
Attachments
file.jpg
Tim
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

So the Rhino Toe has a Wharncliffe main blade, interesting.

Beavertail

Post by Beavertail »

1967redrider wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 9:40 pm So the Rhino Toe has a Wharncliffe main blade, interesting.
That's what I don't like about it.
It would have been better with a more traditional main blade.
Tim
Beavertail

Post by Beavertail »

I saw that Andy Armstrong is no longer at SMKW but said that there will be 8 more Rough Ryder Reserve knives coming.
Tim
Louisville.Boy1947

Well today while browsing the 'bay' I saw my return of the Rhino Toe is listed for sale under the section for Rough Rider knives, 'not' the Rough Ryder Reserve knives. The seller does disclose that the cover on the pile side has cracks. I thought I would give anyone interested a heads up. Also, Chicago Knife Works has "Reserve" knives in stock at discount prices. The replacement knives (Nomad and Rhino) have been received. They are acceptable..but not up to the quality of RRR001, 002, 003, 005. It may be just me, but orders over the last few months from the big blue roof store have had several knives returned for quality issues. The big blue roof store does stand behind their products, but their customers should not be their quality control staff. To be fair, I have had the same problem with the last 3 orders of Case knives from another retailer. Has anyone else experienced more quality
problems with new knives than was experienced previously experienced ?
Does anyone have an update on Andy Armstrong ?
Beavertail

Post by Beavertail »

Louisville.Boy1947 wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 2:06 am Well today while browsing the 'bay' I saw my return of the Rhino Toe is listed for sale under the section for Rough Rider knives, 'not' the Rough Ryder Reserve knives. The seller does disclose that the cover on the pile side has cracks. I thought I would give anyone interested a heads up. Also, Chicago Knife Works has "Reserve" knives in stock at discount prices. The replacement knives (Nomad and Rhino) have been received. They are acceptable..but not up to the quality of RRR001, 002, 003, 005. It may be just me, but orders over the last few months from the big blue roof store have had several knives returned for quality issues. The big blue roof store does stand behind their products, but their customers should not be their quality control staff. To be fair, I have had the same problem with the last 3 orders of Case knives from another retailer. Has anyone else experienced more quality
problems with new knives than was experienced previously experienced ?
Does anyone have an update on Andy Armstrong ?
The knife on eBay is from SMKW eBay account.
They put all their returned knives for sale on eBay.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/ROUGH-RIDER-RE ... ect=mobile
As for Andy Armstrong he made a comment on YouTube that he was offered a job he couldn't pass up. He said there will be 8 more Rough Ryder Reserve knives coming.
Tim

Return to “Chinese-made knives”