What's wrong with the knives made in China?

A place to discuss & share pictures of knives made in China.
jrayyy

What's wrong with the knives made in China?

Post by jrayyy »

I'm sold on American made knives and on all the reasons why. I would just be curious to hear from others about how you
see the differences between American made knives like Case or Bear and Rough Rider knives. Where are the differences?

Thanks!
philco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: What's wrong with the knives made in China?

Post by philco »

OK folks..........let's be nice. :)

Phil
Phil
AAPK Administrator

Jesus died for you. Are you living for Him?

"Buy More Ammo!"
Johnnie Fain 1949-2009
Oman

Post by Oman »

They're made in China !!!!!!!!!!!
And I don't have the space on this thread to list the reasons why that is enough.

(And they have ZERO collector value)
Life is like a roll of toilet paper. The closer it gets to the end, the faster it goes.
Miller Bro's
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Miller Bro's »

jrayyy wrote:I would just be curious to hear from others about how you
see the differences between American made knives like Case or Bear and Rough Rider knives. Where are the differences?
American made knives= Cadillac

China made knives= Kia

Big difference ::nod::
AAPK Janitor
MITCH RAPP

Post by MITCH RAPP »

philco wrote:OK folks..........let's be nice. :)

Phil
8) 10-4 ::tu:: :mrgreen:
MITCH

"Buy more ammo!" - Johnnie Fain
"So far,So good...So What!" - Johnnie Samples
Phil Gibbs

Post by Phil Gibbs »

While I certainly agree with the prevailing opinion of this thread to date emotionally, politically (& historically :mrgreen: ); I must admit that from my personal perspective, I believe we are very much missing some harsh realities if we wish to have an honest & painfully frank discussion regarding the state of the American & Chinese cutlery industries.

I hesitate to share my humble assessments however, as I find some of these opinions to be quite depressing. ::barf::
Oman

Post by Oman »

Phil Gibbs wrote:While I certainly agree with the prevailing opinion of this thread to date emotionally, politically (& historically :mrgreen: ); I must admit that from my personal perspective, I believe we are very much missing some harsh realities if we wish to have an honest & painfully frank discussion regarding the state of the American & Chinese cutlery industries.

I hesitate to share my humble assessments however, as I find some of these opinions to be quite depressing. ::barf::
Huh?
Life is like a roll of toilet paper. The closer it gets to the end, the faster it goes.
bronco2

Post by bronco2 »

there is nothing wrong with china knives or American knives, it is just the use's choice to buy or not to buy what every knife he or she wishes. just my 2 cents

thanks denny
Jeffrey

Post by Jeffrey »

MITCH RAPP wrote:
philco wrote:OK folks..........let's be nice. :)

Phil
8) 10-4 ::tu:: :mrgreen:
GOOD ONE nice pic! lol ::tu:: For me I just like to keep as much money as I can in American workers hands, how many other markets do foreign industry have to take a hold of, I'm doing my part and saving our knives!
PRAY FOR OUR TROOPS!
testcase

Post by testcase »

Lets see....

The Chinese government owns the factories that employ communist slave labor
The Chinese government controls the Chines military and profits for things like knife sales end up going to the Chinese's Military
The Chinese Military routinely war games against US Military
The Chinese helped North Korea make Nuke weapons. China in turn helped, and is helping Iran develop theirs.
The American cutlery companies, that employ America workers are trying to survive...

There is more, but Phil said play nice
Tod
robinetn

Post by robinetn »

testcase wrote:Lets see....

The Chinese government owns the factories that employ communist slave labor
The Chinese government controls the Chines military and profits for things like knife sales end up going to the Chinese's Military
The Chinese Military routinely war games against US Military
The Chinese helped North Korea make Nuke weapons. China in turn helped, and is helping Iran develop theirs.
The American cutlery companies, that employ America workers are trying to survive...

There is more, but Phil said play nice
::tu:: ::tu:: ::tu:: ::tu:: ::tu:: ::tu::
bonehead

Post by bonehead »

Forget about politics guys,

The question was what are the differences? Of the knives themselves.... I would certainly like to know too! I have a couple that seem to be of equal quality... What can we say in this area?
Bonehead

America's 'FINEST' Vintage Cutlery
edgy46

Post by edgy46 »

Yes I own several of them and as a piece of cutlery they are not very good. the blades are very difficult to sharpen. The edge is brittle, and will break off if sharpened to a fine edge. However they are tempting with black lip pearl. Very nice to look at, but like a new car that won't run not very useful. I will not speak about trade balance or jobs just about thier ability to do the job. ::td:: JMO
An uncontrolled accumulator. ::shrug::
Bill
oldblinddog
Location: South of the Red, North of the Trinity, sometimes on the North Platte.

Post by oldblinddog »

I have a friend that thinks his RR "sodbuster" clone is one of the best knives he has ever had. He is a saddlemaker and uses high quality knives daily. He thinks the steel is great. Says it holds an edge better than just about anything he cares to compare to.

I got one of the RR small leg knives for a girlfriend. It was very well made and razor sharp.

As for politics...the more capitalist they are the better off we are...

YMMV
gmusic

Post by gmusic »

What's wrong with the knives made in the USA?

Communist China is what's wrong!

We as a nation have been fighting communism for 60+ years..............................and the buyers of these knives (and other products from that country) are nothing short of committing sedition.

I can not understand the shortsightednesses of some people.

I lost family fighting communisum.......................

Just my unchangeable opinion........................
http://www.musicmadeknives.com

Rodger, (Rodger-50/2050), Bill (El Lobo), Johnny Fain (jonet143), Johnny Samples (Johnnyrotten),
Bill Price (CCBill)

Please feel free to contact any mod or admin with concerns.
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

Those of us who served in Vietnam or Korea or nearly any US military action since WWII have (whether we know it or not) faced Chinese weapons and dodged Chinese steel.

As a Vietnam veteran, please tell me why I or anyone other veteran of the US military should buy Chinese knives?
bonehead wrote:Forget about politics guys,
Sorry, no can do. There are 52,000 names on The Wall in Washington D.C. that won't allow me to forget politics!
http://i28.tinypic.com/2mfncw9.jpg

Dale
Dale
AAPK Administrator

Please visit my AAPK store: www.allaboutpocketknives.com/orvet

Job 13:15

“Evil is Powerless If The Good are Unafraid.” – Ronald Reagan
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

Oman wrote:
Phil Gibbs wrote:While I certainly agree with the prevailing opinion of this thread to date emotionally, politically (& historically :mrgreen: ); I must admit that from my personal perspective, I believe we are very much missing some harsh realities if we wish to have an honest & painfully frank discussion regarding the state of the American & Chinese cutlery industries.

Huh?

There are few people more qualified to speak on this topic than Phil Gibbs.
IIRC, Phil was grew up in the cutlery industry.
He was one of the reasons Camillus survived as long as it did.

Dale
Dale
AAPK Administrator

Please visit my AAPK store: www.allaboutpocketknives.com/orvet

Job 13:15

“Evil is Powerless If The Good are Unafraid.” – Ronald Reagan
stancaiman

Post by stancaiman »

jrayyy wrote:I'm sold on American made knives and on all the reasons why. I would just be curious to hear from others about how you

Thanks!
sometimes china's product are well made but in the majority of case they are only bad copy- a other thing for my point of view is that i don't want to give money to a country where there is no liberty it's all
Just Plain Dave
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Just Plain Dave »

While I very much like Carbon Steel or Case CV as my knife steel, I will not subject my better knives to bumping around with change or my pocket flashlight.

I find Rough Rider to have pretty nice stainless that comes and generally stays QUITE sharp.

I have a Chinese made Scout knife from Cabelas that gets a LOT of use. Seems to be quite similar steel wise.
Looking for the magic penny!
gino

Post by gino »

This is always a divided subject. both sides have merit to some extent.
-( life is too short to carry a cheap knife )-
keithw

Post by keithw »

Guys,

All jrayyy asked for was opinions on the differences between American and Chinese knives. It seems like every time the subject is brought up, the link is high-jacked by people screaming about China. He didn't advocate buying a bushel basket full. I don't like the current situation either... but, we sure aren't acting like people who value differing opinions.

My opinion, if I'm allowed to express it, is that sadly the Chinese have improved their quality significantly over the past few years, to the point of equalling American knife companies. I've bought some disappointing Case, Bear and Queen knives over the last couple of years. Of course the Chinese knives will probably never have any collector value, but they can be had for a fraction of the price.

I type this note on an American computer made up of Chinese components, illuminated by a lamp made in China, which is sitting on a desk made by a now-defunct American furniture company, while sitting in a desk chair made in China, wearing sweatpants, underwear, socks and T-shirt made in China. My city and state have been ravaged by unemployment brought on in large part by our indifference. So please excuse me if I don't get too worked up about someone contemplating buying an $8 Chinese pocketknife. I think we have bigger fish to fry.
Keith
-------------------------------------------------------------------
Everyone has a plan until they get punched in the mouth.
-- Mike Tyson
Roush428r

Post by Roush428r »

keithw wrote:Guys,

All jrayyy asked for was opinions on the differences between American and Chinese knives. It seems like every time the subject is brought up, the link is high-jacked by people screaming about China. He didn't advocate buying a bushel basket full. I don't like the current situation either... but, we sure aren't acting like people who value differing opinions.

My opinion, if I'm allowed to express it, is that sadly the Chinese have improved their quality significantly over the past few years, to the point of equalling American knife companies. I've bought some disappointing Case, Bear and Queen knives over the last couple of years. Of course the Chinese knives will probably never have any collector value, but they can be had for a fraction of the price.

I type this note on an American computer made up of Chinese components, illuminated by a lamp made in China, which is sitting on a desk made by a now-defunct American furniture company, while sitting in a desk chair made in China, wearing sweatpants, underwear, socks and T-shirt made in China. My city and state have been ravaged by unemployment brought on in large part by our indifference. So please excuse me if I don't get too worked up about someone contemplating buying an $8 Chinese pocketknife. I think we have bigger fish to fry.

And that pretty much sums it up folks!

The only caveat I'll add is that most Chinese knives we see in the U.S. are junk because that's primarily where the market is. Can the Chinese build knives comparable in quality to Case, et al? Absolutely! Would the flea market dealers buy them by the case at $25 each instead of $2.50? No!

Dalian is to China what Seki is to Japan. Check out some of the higher end knives from there if you want to see what Chinese cutlers can do.
testcase

Post by testcase »

The question was what are the differences? Of the knives themselves.... I would certainly like to know too! I have a couple that seem to be of equal quality... What can we say in this area?
Forget politics? it ain't politics, its fact.

Buying Chinese Knives hurt the US, plain and simple. When you purchase a knife you decide, "Do I buy from a US maker or a country bent on the subjugation of democracy? Do I help end one more US industry'
IF you can live with that, go ahead.

It is a small gesture in the big scheme of things, but it is one area in which we still have a choice. I collect knives, and I am by no means a rich man, but I would rather have one US made knife in my collection than ten Chicom cheapies.
Tod
testcase

Post by testcase »

keithw wrote:Guys,

So where better, if not 8.00 knives collected for a HOBBY, something not essential, to draw the line? Why not start where we still have a choice?
Tod
bonehead

Post by bonehead »

testcase wrote:

Forget politics? it ain't politics, its fact.

Buying Chinese Knives hurt the US, plain and simple. When you purchase a knife you decide, "Do I buy from a US maker or a country bent on the subjugation of democracy? Do I help end one more US industry'
IF you can live with that, go ahead.

It is a small gesture in the big scheme of things, but it is one area in which we still have a choice. I collect knives, and I am by no means a rich man, but I would rather have one US made knife in my collection than ten Chicom cheapies.
Anyone who feels so strongly about this might as well toss out half his Necessities, forget about collectable luxuries. The question is: " I would just be curious to hear from others about how you see the differences between American made knives like Case or Bear and Rough Rider knives"
Bonehead

America's 'FINEST' Vintage Cutlery

Return to “Chinese-made knives”