What's wrong with the knives made in China?

A place to discuss & share pictures of knives made in China.
oldblinddog
Location: South of the Red, North of the Trinity, sometimes on the North Platte.

Re: What's wrong with the knives made in China?

Post by oldblinddog »

johnnierotten wrote:I think China made knives (Steel Warriors & Rough Riders) are well worth the $$ you pay for them...But will in no way ever be collectable from a monetary standpoint
Anything can be collected because collectability, like beauty, is in the eye of the beholder. I have a couple of Chinese made Spyderco's for sale in my store that some folks might (at some point) find collectable.

As I have said before, I don't have any Rough Riders, but I know people that do that can have any knife they want that use them day in and day out and think they are great knives.
johnnierotten

Post by johnnierotten »

What I meant by a monetary standpoint is to appreciate in value....I doubt very seriously that Rough Riders and Steel Warriors will ever be worth more than you pay for them.
I collect knives that will increase in value over time..as I'm sure alot of collectors do.
In fact ,if I sold every knife in my collection (individually)...I guarantee I would make a profit on each one. ::tu::
johnnierotten

So far,So good...So What!!
glenn

Post by glenn »

::tu:: U my kind of knife guy JR ::tu::
razor edge
johnnierotten

Post by johnnierotten »

Thank ya Glenn. ::tu:: ...I'm just an old horse trader thats been around the block a few times!! :)
johnnierotten

So far,So good...So What!!
ALLEN

Post by ALLEN »

I Like American Products...If the rough rider is a beginner ok?...we collect but to our wifes we [HOARD]....O WELL ::shrug:: ::shrug:: ...GOD BLESS ...DON'T FORGET TO VOTE ...NOV. 2....ALLEN
MDB-TX

Post by MDB-TX »

I'm kinda late to this discussion but I just stumbled across this website while trying to learn a little about knife collecting. I'm new to knife collecting and don't even know anyone that is a collector so trying to learn everything I can.

I just purchased quite a few "Chinese" knives that I liked, because I thought they looked cool. I never plan on reselling any of them, or trying to start a flea market business so their value never really crossed my mind. But after reading this entire topic, I'm a little embarrassed to display them. I'm really embarrassed to say how many knives I actually bought, I have a tendency to go overboard when I find something I like and the price seems unbelievable.

I'm really interested in collecting knives, not necessarily super old expensive knives that can never be used but good quality knives made today. So I went online to Case and Buck and bought several knives there. At least now if a true knife collector walks into my office, they'll think I know something about knife collecting.

What are some other brands, especially that can be bought online, should I look at for collecting? I LOVE the big knives, like Bowie Knives.

In defense of the Chinese knives, they do actually seem to be fairly good quality. There were several of us throwing them and sticking them into stuff last week and they didn't break, I sharpened a few of them and they got really sharp and stayed sharp after they hit the ground a few times. I do agree we should buy American when possible but something needs to be done with the unions that govern the workers.

Correction, I forgot, the Case didn't allow purchases online, I bought from Cavendars. Buying from Buck online, use blade45 as coupon code and get 25% off.

Thanks
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

Hi MBD-TX,
Welcome to AAPK.
You found an old thread that was missed in the cleanup of moving threads on the topic of Chinese knives to their own forum.
I will move this thread also, just so it can be found by topic.

Probably the best way to learn about collecting knives is by reading. You can learn a lot here in the various forums of AAPK. There is also a lot of information in the Research Section here in AAPK. If you read the forums, ask questions and you can even find good books on the topic.
This link will take you to a good discussion of knife books:
http://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/kni ... =4&t=23225

Welcome aboard! ::welcome::
Dale
AAPK Administrator

Please visit my AAPK store: www.allaboutpocketknives.com/orvet

Job 13:15

"Buy more ammo!" - Johnnie Fain
“Evil is Powerless If The Good are Unafraid.” – Ronald Reagan
Absintheur

Post by Absintheur »

If you hate all things Chinese and don't want to own anything made there then you better prepare to live like Ted Kaczynski. The fact you are even reading this post means you buy Chinese goods. If you truly meant what you say about refusing to own Chinese goods then you will need to sell everything electronic, your cars unless you drive one from the 60's or earlier, start raising sheep so you can make your own clothes from scratch....you get my point.

I completely agree that the government of China needs change in a big way however taking the faults of the government out on the people doesn't make sense. As others have said the more capitalistic the chines become the better. They want what we have in the area of standard of living and sooner or later they will figure out to do so will take the kind of changes only the people can create.

I own far more US made knives than I do Chinese. The Chinese knives I own I bought from a US vender thus much of the money from them does stay in the US. While I do have a couple cheap Chinese knives I also own some very nice higher end ones from AG Russell. The quality surpasses that of Case, Bear, and others unless you look at the Bose offerings. I also think the American worker have shot themselves in the foot in many ways.
garddogg56
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by garddogg56 »

'surpasses Case+Bear' ::shrug:: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
"On the Road Again"Willie Nelson
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

My feelings regarding Chinese made knives go much deeper than the type of steel in their blades or the “fit & finish” physical attributes of the knives.

I grew up during the 1950s, when Made In America meant something. Something good. Something great. The best airplanes in the world were Made In America. The best steel was smelted in American steel mills. Everyone wanted to come here. Everyone wanted the products we made and our dollar was a world standard currency. I see that slipping away, no, I see that rushing away, no, I see that flushed away, down the toilet, by ignorant politicians and greedy big business and I’m not ready to give up the pride we had in our country even though it seems we've lost the respect the rest of the world had for us.

In my opinion, the loss of our manufacturing base is a root cause for many of our economic problems. Manufacturing in the U.S. has dwindled down to a trickle. Where we once made everything, we now make hardly anything. In just a short time I was able to compile this small list of iconic American brands that are no longer owned by American business.

Edit: After further reflection, I suppose the economic problems could be the root cause of the erosion of our manufacturing base. I'm no economist and certainly no genius. Which came first, the chicken or the egg? All I know for sure is, the jobs have moved out of this country and that's BAD.

McIntosh Stereo – Sold to Clarion (Japan) in 1990. Since 2003, owned by D&M Holdings, also a Japanese company.

Bulova - Bulova paid $4 for the world's first television commercial, a July 1, 1941 placement on New York station WNBT before a baseball game between the Brooklyn Dodgers and Philadelphia Phillies.

On January 10, 2008 Citizen (Japan) bought the Bulova Watch Company for $250 million.

Browning Arms Company - Browning is currently a fully owned subsidiary of Fabrique Nationale de Herstal. (Belgium)

Winchester Arms - FN Herstal (Belbium)

Hoover – (yes, the vacumn cleaner people) Techtronic Industries Company Limited (Hong Kong)

Amana – (The kitchen appliance people) Aga Rangemaster Group (United Kingdom)

Milwaukee Electric Tool Corp. - Acquired by Hong Kong based Techtronic Industries in 2005.

Powermatic Woodworking Tools – Part of the WMH Walter Meier Holding AG (Switzerland)

In just 60 short years gangs, violence and drugs, even in the small towns and countryside, have corrupted the America I once knew. Illegal immigration runs rampant and way too many act like it’s okay because the illegals “have a right to be here”. Political corruption is commonplace. Our economy is in the toilet and other countries who once welcomed our currency in lieu of their own, now won’t even wipe their a-- with it. I don’t blame China for that. Those problems are a result of our own inability to run a country. We have fought the Communists and the concept of Communism for the past 65 years and every time I see “Made in China” on a knife or any other product I get a flush of hopelessness and helplessness. We could have won on the military battlefield if the citizens of this country had allowed it and now we’ve lost on the economic battlefield. It’s not a new thing. It hasn’t been that many years since we were hearing about how off kilter our balance of trade was with Japan and now, China has taken it to a whole new level. Was I born too late or sometime in the future will today be the good old days?

If that doesn’t make sense to you, I’m sorry I wasn’t able to explain it well enough. I won’t argue about it. Arguing is two fools thinking they will change the other person’s mind. That’s my opinion. I don’t have a problem with you if your opinion is different.

[/rant]
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
Gunsmoke47
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Gunsmoke47 »

Jerry that was brilliantly stated. I have said it for years. They will own us without ever firing a shot. I know buying a Rough Ryder or Steel Warrior will not change a thing. I just choose not to because you cannot go to Walmart without buying China. I just choose not to on my knives. I harbor no ill will to those that do. And God help us Jerry....... It is our fault. This is strickly my opinion and in NO way represents the views of AAPK. Kelley
garddogg56
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by garddogg56 »

Amen Jerry D. WELL put I just choose to spend my American earned money on AMERICAN products whenever possible from my CARHARTT'S (NOW BACK IN THE USA) to my truck,fly rods,knives,guns,and tools klein,Craftsman.It's time we take back AMERICA then maybe ALL Buck, Case,Kershaw knives will be USA made; The polititions are selling US all down the road!!So with that said I will NEVER give up..Buy AMERICAN the job you save may be your own;GOD BLESS.
"On the Road Again"Willie Nelson
MDB-TX

Post by MDB-TX »

I'm new to all this so don't bite my head off but I thought Case Knives were and have ALWAYS been Made in the USA! Is that NOT correct? Also, aren't Buck Knives still Made in the USA? As I stated in my 1st post, I bought a few Bucks and Case Knives last night, nothing of much value to most of you, they are brand spankin new. One of the Buck Knives I bought I actually got to build myself so I just thought that was cool! I've been looking for some Old Uncle Henry Knives today. I like collecting things, and when I do, I go overboard and usually buy more than I actually have room for. This just seemed like a fun thing to do! I have one heck a 1:18 scale Die Cast Car/Truck Collection, I ain't saying where they were all built.

Can anyone confirm USA Made or not:
KA-Bar
Case
Buck
Benchmade - HK Knife
Uncle Henry

I certainly don't mean to be the least informed with a bunch of dumb questions but I've gotta learn somehow.

Thanks for the info.
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

MDB-TX wrote: Can anyone confirm USA Made or not:
KA-Bar
Case
Buck
Benchmade - HK Knife
Uncle Henry

I certainly don't mean to be the least informed with a bunch of dumb questions but I've gotta learn somehow.

Thanks for the info.
The only dumb question is the one you don’t ask!

Kabar may have some of their knives produced overseas, but I think some are made here.
As far as I know Case are all made here.
Buck makes their traditional patterns in Idaho, but does have en import line made overseas.
Benchmade makes their high-end knives here and the lower-end knives are made overseas.
Uncle Henry- Imperial Schrade, the makers of Uncle Henry & owners of that name, went bankrupt in 2004. Taylor Brands LLC, bought the name and has the knives made in China these days. There are old UH knives available on ebay as well as other places.

You can find out more about these various brands by checking the forums that are for these brands.

I hope this helps,
Dale
Dale
AAPK Administrator

Please visit my AAPK store: www.allaboutpocketknives.com/orvet

Job 13:15

"Buy more ammo!" - Johnnie Fain
“Evil is Powerless If The Good are Unafraid.” – Ronald Reagan
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

MDB-TX wrote:I'm new to all this so don't bite my head off I certainly don't mean to be the least informed with a bunch of dumb questions but I've gotta learn somehow.
It's extremely unusual for anyone here to bite someones head off. I'm not saying it never happens but it's very rare (and usually happens when the subject of Chinese knives comes up for discussion. Very emotional and volatile subject around here.)

Everybody don't know somthin' and you're right, ya gotta start somewhere. Learn to use the search feature. That isn't meant to say you should never ask questions but the search function is the AAPK FAQ and there's a LOT of information on this site, already asked and answered. Using search will sometimes get you a satisfactory answer, faster.

Welcome to AAPK. Tie up Old Paint anyplace. Kick off your shoes and rest a spell. There's just a bunch of good people here.
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
MDB-TX

Post by MDB-TX »

Thanks a lot! I really do appreciate the info and really want to learn as much as I can about Knife Collecting.
big monk

Post by big monk »

MDB-TX wrote:I'm new to all this so don't bite my head off but I thought Case Knives were and have ALWAYS been Made in the USA! Is that NOT correct? Also, aren't Buck Knives still Made in the USA? As I stated in my 1st post, I bought a few Bucks and Case Knives last night, nothing of much value to most of you, they are brand spankin new. One of the Buck Knives I bought I actually got to build myself so I just thought that was cool! I've been looking for some Old Uncle Henry Knives today. I like collecting things, and when I do, I go overboard and usually buy more than I actually have room for. This just seemed like a fun thing to do! I have one heck a 1:18 scale Die Cast Car/Truck Collection, I ain't saying where they were all built.

Can anyone confirm USA Made or not:
KA-Bar
Case
Buck
Benchmade - HK Knife
Uncle Henry

Thanks for the info.

Here is an older thread,with some answers to your questions :) and welcome to AAPK ::welcome:: ______Monk ::ds::

http://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/kni ... =4&t=12109
I'm not young enough,____to know everything !!!!!!!!!!!!

MONK****
MDB-TX

Post by MDB-TX »

Thank You! Very Informative!
blademaker

Post by blademaker »

Really like the AG Russell gunstock...but have my eye on a Great Eastern ::shrug::
Maybe I'll sell that ole van out back for..... scrap.... and buy both... little ironic ::uc::
Tom Hudson

Post by Tom Hudson »

orvet wrote:
MDB-TX wrote: Can anyone confirm USA Made or not:
KA-Bar
Case
Buck
Benchmade - HK Knife
Uncle Henry

Thanks for the info.
The only dumb question is the one you don’t ask!

Kabar may have some of their knives produced overseas, but I think some are made here.
As far as I know Case are all made here.
Buck makes their traditional patterns in Idaho, but does have en import line made overseas.
Benchmade makes their high-end knives here and the lower-end knives are made overseas.
Uncle Henry- Imperial Schrade, the makers of Uncle Henry & owners of that name, went bankrupt in 2004. Taylor Brands LLC, bought the name and has the knives made in China these days. There are old UH knives available on ebay as well as other places.

SMKW owns Rough Riders as well as several other companies. To date, these are the companies I'm aware of but it is not all of SMKW brands.:

Black Jack
Browning
Camillus
Cannon
Colonel Coon
Colt
Cripple Creek
Indian Head
Marbles
Roebeson
Rough Rider

Of the companies listed, the following have some production take place at the SMKW factory in China:

Browning
Camillus
Cannon
Colt
Indian Head
Marbles
Rough Rider
zed6309
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by zed6309 »

what is SMKW, ::tu::
Paul,

friendship is a rare and precious gift,
A day without a pocket knife is the day your need it,
philco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by philco »

zed6309 wrote:what is SMKW, ::tu::
That stands for Smoky Mountain Knife Works. It is a large retail concern based in Sevierville, Tennessee here in the U.S. Kevin Pipes is the principal owner. SMKW touts its store in Seiverville as the largest knife store in the world. It is huge. Inside the store up on the top floor level is located the National Knife Musieum, a wonderful collection of mostly vintage cutlery on display.
In addition to the retail store, SMKW does catalog sales and has paid television programs where they sell cutlery items. The show features an item and the customers call a toll free number to order one, or order over the internet.
SMKW handles a wide range of cutlery, both brands they own and brands they do not own. They have in recent years acquired the rights to several old brand names and are now having knives made mostly in China with those brands on them.
If you are interested, here is a link to their website........

http://www.smkw.com/webapp/eCommerce/main_front.jsp

Phil
Phil
AAPK Administrator

Jesus died for you. Are you living for Him?

"Buy More Ammo!"
Johnnie Fain 1949-2009
zed6309
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by zed6309 »

philco wrote:
zed6309 wrote:what is SMKW, ::tu::
That stands for Smoky Mountain Knife Works. It is a large retail concern based in Sevierville, Tennessee here in the U.S. Kevin Pipes is the principal owner. SMKW touts its store in Seiverville as the largest knife store in the world. It is huge. Inside the store up on the top floor level is located the National Knife Musieum, a wonderful collection of mostly vintage cutlery on display.
In addition to the retail store, SMKW does catalog sales and has paid television programs where they sell cutlery items. The show features an item and the customers call a toll free number to order one, or order over the internet.
SMKW handles a wide range of cutlery, both brands they own and brands they do not own. They have in recent years acquired the rights to several old brand names and are now having knives made mostly in China with those brands on them.

Phil
Thanks phil i thought i was having a silly moment there but couldnt work out what it stoof for, so have they a long PK history ? they seem to produce many other knives so must be doing very well for themselves, it seems there was a few PK manufacturers that bought out other companys over the years,
Paul,

friendship is a rare and precious gift,
A day without a pocket knife is the day your need it,
Absintheur

Post by Absintheur »

I queried SMKW on the newest lines of Colt knives and they denied ownership. ::shrug::
Just Plain Dave
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Just Plain Dave »

I just have to speak up on this. The knife people on this site are some of the finest people on this entire planet!!!!
Looking for the magic penny!

Return to “Chinese-made knives”