What's wrong with the knives made in China?

A place to discuss & share pictures of knives made in China.
treefarmer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: What's wrong with the knives made in China?

Post by treefarmer »

Question concerning Old Folder's latest post concerning the SMKW emblem on the Case handle. Does Case do the inletting and placement of the emblem or is that an "aftermarket" installation by SMKW? ::hmm::
Treefarmer

A GUN IN THE HAND IS BETTER THAN A COP ON THE PHONE.
knifetime

Post by knifetime »

Yeah I knew about Queen and their quality did fall off the schatt and Morgan selection was pretty nice though. Hate to hear that about Canal Street I love their Conitlore .
-"...and he that cleaveth wood shall be endangered thereby If the iron be blunt,and he do not whet the edge,then must he put to more strength....Ecclesiastes 10 10 ;So the good book says
sharpen your knife !!!
thankgod4rkids

Post by thankgod4rkids »

I'll weigh in. I joined this site after mistakenly purchasing a "china buck". I carried an Uncle Henry 897 stockman for 20 some years. I was beginning to get nostalgic about it and decided to retire it as my edc. Went to Walmart and seen a name I recognized and bought. At the time I did not know much about flat or hollow grinds or steel. ( I really like Schrade's carbon with flat grind ). The hollow grind on the 371 China Buck was very disappointing. Took an aggressive angle to cut which did not work well for me. Alot of stone work made it cut. Also the springs felt weak compared to the old Uncle Henry. I have since bought a Buck 301 and just this weekend my first Case. The bucks are interesting in that you get basically the same knife, one assembled in China, one in the US. The quality difference is quite evident. Personally I have bought my last knife from China. But since joining this site while researching my new knife I can tell my wife is not going to be happy with my ever growing pocket knife addiction.
Bill
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

thankgod4rkids wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 9:10 pm I'll weigh in. I joined this site after mistakenly purchasing a "china buck". I carried an Uncle Henry 897 stockman for 20 some years. I was beginning to get nostalgic about it and decided to retire it as my edc. Went to Walmart and seen a name I recognized and bought. At the time I did not know much about flat or hollow grinds or steel. ( I really like Schrade's carbon with flat grind ). The hollow grind on the 371 China Buck was very disappointing. Took an aggressive angle to cut which did not work well for me. Alot of stone work made it cut. Also the springs felt weak compared to the old Uncle Henry. I have since bought a Buck 301 and just this weekend my first Case. The bucks are interesting in that you get basically the same knife, one assembled in China, one in the US. The quality difference is quite evident. Personally I have bought my last knife from China. But since joining this site while researching my new knife I can tell my wife is not going to be happy with my ever growing pocket knife addiction.
Bill
Welcome to AAPK. Glad to have you aboard.
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
blindhari

Post by blindhari »

I'm new here and I admit I have not read all 21 pages of this topic, that said,

I am retired since 2002 and it has enabled me to set in my garage and carve canes and walking sticks. I have made more than a few and have always preferred diamond willow. When I got them finished they were given away to free to vets. Two years ago now my wrists gave out and I have had to quit carving. Now I keep an eye out for a kid, male or female, who seems to be on the threshold of learning the balance of responsibility and privilege. I ask there parents if they think the kid is old enough for a pocketknife. If yes I give the parent a traditional folder for the kid. The best value I can find for the money are War Eagle folders from A G Russell. I like them better than Case. With a touch of care they should last at least one generation. They are made in China. Like any other purchase value, durability, and usability are in the eye of the buyer. If I encourage just one more future carver/whittler The War Eagle folders I give away have more than done there job.

blindhari
Sgt
Berlin Brigade
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

blindhari

Welcome to AAPK. Grab a rack and stow your gear. Glad to have you aboard.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

Would love to see some pic's of your carving work. And glad you dropped in. ::handshake:: ::handshake::
mrwatch

Post by mrwatch »

for blindhari and others. Diamond willow. I used a draw knife to strip the bark. rotary tool to clean out and boiled linseed oil finish. Hard to get as it grows in swamps.
Attachments
20190218_125815.jpg
20190218_125823.jpg
20190218_125838.jpg
cudgee

Post by cudgee »

Spectacular work. ::tu:: ::tu:: ::tu::
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Also called Willow Eye, an ex-relative up in Montana carved this one and gave it to me. He also gave me several uncarved sticks but they're all gone. I didn't have the patience for them.
Attachments
DSC08573.JPG
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
thankgod4rkids

Post by thankgod4rkids »

OK, I'll call myself out before somebody else has to. Even though I bought a 301 to replace it the 371 "China Buck" is still in my pocket daily. The fit and finish are not that good but after thinning the blades and getting a good edge on them I have been somewhat impressed. I run a feed mill and open a lot of plastic lined bags. Edge retention has been as good as anything I've used. Generally use a utility knife unless I'm playing with a new knife. Some days I get a few minutes to whittle while waiting for the mixer to clean out. I also like the nail knicks on the 371 better than the 301. I haven't polished the blades, you can see the bad grind on the sheepsfoot.While my love is for Made in the USA I did advise my son to try a Rough Rider to make sure he likes carrying a certain style before dropping $80 to $100 on a style he wants to try. I checked out blindhari's AG Russells too and am quite interested. Also love the idea of giving knives to share the joy of whittling. Just thoughts... Merry Christmas everyone!

Bill
Attachments
20191214_001005.jpg
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

treefarmer wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 6:34 pm Question concerning Old Folder's latest post concerning the SMKW emblem on the Case handle. Does Case do the inletting and placement of the emblem or is that an "aftermarket" installation by SMKW? ::hmm::
Treefarmer
It’s possible that Case did that. Case has what they call their advertising specialty line. “These are items that can be customized with business logos, themed artwork, etc. There are specific imprinting techniques and minimum orders.”

Of course it’s also possible SMKW had it done elsewhere too. Especially since the sticker on the box says “Shield made in China”. ::shrug::
Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
tnorton

Post by tnorton »

I don't know why I always preface my posts in this forum? Maybe national pride but here goes - I "collect" prewar Remington's and vintage/retro Schrade's - but here are 3 of the "China Made" knives that I just "keep" because I like them - I have gifted several to friends , coworkers , family but kept these 3
Attachments
IMG_3459.JPG
cody6268

Post by cody6268 »

How are the bone Taylor Old TImers? They seem to be a lot better of a knife than what the run of the mill Taylor Old Timer is, with 9Cr18MOV blades, higher polishes, better grinds, and of course, bone handles. I want to be a bit more open-minded towards Chinese Schrade, but what I've had has been hit-or-miss. Both my 12OT and 834UH lost shields within the first week of real carry and use. I never see American Schrades without shields. They don't hold an edge well compared to either 1095 or Schrade+ 420HC. However, in terms of fit, I do have a 72OT that has got along quite well with me. It has wood handles.
carrmillus
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by carrmillus »

......if I ever buy anything from china again, it will be by mistake!!!!............... ::tu:: ::tu:: ::tu:: .....................
cody6268

Post by cody6268 »

carrmillus wrote: Sun Apr 19, 2020 9:24 pm ......if I ever buy anything from china again, it will be by mistake!!!!............... ::tu:: ::tu:: ::tu:: .....................
I'm getting that way in the wake of this COVID mess; which they are pretty much entirely responsible for. My old phone (NEC Terrain) was made in China by a Japanese company. My new Kyocera (DuraForce Pro II) is made in Japan by a Japanese firm, and was cheaper than an iPhone which is entirely made in China. Finding electronics these days not made in China is pretty tough. I have 5-6 Chinese made knives in my EDC rotation, and will probably trade them off as soon as the flea market can finally be held again. There's a long list of inexpensive (which by my standards is anything under $20) knives made in the Czech Republic, Italy, Japan, France, Spain, and even right here in the USA that perform great. The lightweight handle knives Schrade and Camillus made have no collector interest; but are among my favorite EDCs. I paid $15 for a used SP-3; and $30 shipped for a new Medium Sierra.

Funny thing. Our new TV is made in Mexico--but BY A CHINESE COMPANY!!!! Irony in the simplest sense.
carrmillus
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by carrmillus »

.......as JOHN WAYNE would say...."BUY HUHMERICUN"!!!............... ::tu:: ::tu:: ::tu:: .............
Ivoryman

Post by Ivoryman »

mrwatch wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 6:39 pm for blindhari and others. Diamond willow. I used a draw knife to strip the bark. rotary tool to clean out and boiled linseed oil finish. Hard to get as it grows in swamps.
Good show, got into making them myself, back in the 1980s and was told it only grew in Montana and China. Then a few years later my cousins in Canada showed me some, said it grew there too. So I grabbed some and make a few things. Nice wood, good colors, great contrast. Lots of people who saw them wanted one so most given away and were well recieved.

I noticed this comment on RR and was already convinced long before seeing this, but it's a symptom of the disease:

Yeah, except for its visual appeal, I am not too pleased with the RRR009...the nail nick placement is a relatively minor issue but just one more thing I don't like about it. I'm guessing it's probably the last Rough Ryder I will ever buy. They almost got me to change my opinion about China made knives (that aren't AG Russells) with their "Reserve" line, but this one strike against them is all it took to sour me on the brand (which, admittedly, I was hesitant to embrace right from the start; but, after this "Sway" fiasco I think I'm done with them for good.) JMO, YMMV :|

Anyway, I still have more USA made 07s that I haven't shown yet as well as a few on the way; so, I have no more time, interest or money to risk/waste on Chinese crap. ::huff::
Simia accipit quae vult.

There you have it, couldn't agree more, and won't go there anymore.
Attachments
thumbnail_20211120_090420.jpg
thumbnail_20211120_090435.jpg
"It's what people know about themselves inside that makes them afraid." -No Name, High Plains Drifter
bigshot

Post by bigshot »

I think Rough Ryders make some of the best knives available right now. In the past few weeks, I've bought over 40 of them. It's a wide variety of patterns and handles and the quality of them is remarkable. They lend themselves to being collected in a number of ways... you can collect just one particular pattern, or one series of handles, or you can pick and choose among all of it.

Of the 40+ knives I've got, just one of them has a problem that I don't like. The knife works ok, but the back springs aren't flush. I'm sending it back for a replacement. The rest are solid, free of gaps and aligned well to prevent blade rub. They all are well designed with nail nicks that are usable and firm opening that isn't so stiff it tears your fingernails off. For comparison, I've bought two Cases, one low end Sod Buster and a higher end stockman with stag handles. They look nice, but the Sod Buster has gaps all over the back springs, and the stockman is so stiff, I can only open it with folded paper. My Bucks don't have that problem, but comparing them to the Rough Ryder's, the only difference is the quality of the steel. They are both made as well.

In 20 or 30 years, if anyone is collecting traditional pocket knives at all, they'll be collecting Rough Ryders because they are readily available in a variety of colors and patterns and the cost is reasonable. That gives them room for collectors to pay more for them. Not that I'm recommending investing in them, mind you. I'm just saying that there is a huge appeal to these knives that won't go away.

I can understand the "Buy American" thing, and if that is important to you, then definitely avoid them. But they are better quality than comparable American made knives. There's no denying that. American knife makers need to step up their game and compete, not just focus on making fancy expensive knives that most people can't afford.
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Congratulations on funding the Chinese Communist Party.

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
bigshot

Post by bigshot »

Ha ha! The money I saved money on pocket knives I invested in American real estate! You have a pile of American pocket knives and pay rent!
gsmith7158
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by gsmith7158 »

It's a shame that you find that funny. Perhaps you should do a little research and find out what the Chinese communist party is doing with the money you are providing them with.
------------------

Greg

IF YOU AIN'T BUYING OR LOOKING AT A KNIFE THEN YOU AIN'T LIVING.
Always looking to buy good quality Empire knives.

PROUD MEMBER AAPK, NRA.
bigshot

Post by bigshot »

And you can do a little research and find out what the NRA did with the money you sent them. https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/202 ... it-leaders
Ivoryman

Post by Ivoryman »

Read a lot about graft and corruption in there regarding NRA officials. So good to know there is definitely not any of that in the CCP. :roll: And at least your article made no mention of officials raping and making dissappear the young female tennis stars of the country like the Chniese Communist party is currently doing. Victims of Larry Nassar and Jeffery Epstein have their day in court, and a system to redress it. Not in China. At least we can critisize our government and not disappear or be silenced. And nice of the CCP to do their organ harvesting from prisoners, or re-education forced labor camps confinement that are going on in Uyghur for religious groups the authorities don't like, not to mention all the copyright theft and infringement going on over there on US products. I"ll take NRA abuses any day over authoritarian, tyrannical dictatorship idiocracy communist governments. Your results may vary.
"It's what people know about themselves inside that makes them afraid." -No Name, High Plains Drifter
jmh58

Post by jmh58 »

bigshot wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 7:48 pm And you can do a little research and find out what the NRA did with the money you sent them. https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/202 ... it-leaders
And as I read that the Antis started coming thru.. ::td:: ::hmm::
John :D
Not all who wander are lost!!

Of all the paths you take in life,
Make sure some of them are Dirt!!!

Return to “Chinese-made knives”