What's wrong with the knives made in China?

A place to discuss & share pictures of knives made in China.
TwoFlowersLuggage
Location: Stuck in traffic on a highway in Southern California

Re: What's wrong with the knives made in China?

Post by TwoFlowersLuggage »

Yup - Ken is absolutely correct. What *you* believe "Made in the USA" means and what the law says it means can be two COMPLETELY different things!

And, it also depends on how far down the supply chain you really want to go. If I am making a product that is composed of plastic parts, do those plastic parts have to be molded in the USA? If I mold the parts in the USA, does the raw plastic have to come from the USA? If I use 50% recycled plastic, does the recycling plant that reprocesses the plastic have to be in the USA? If the other 50% of the plastic is virgin plastic, does that virgin plastic have to be made in the USA? Does the oil and the chemicals used to make that virgin plastic have to come from the USA?

Or the big question: Does the worker running the machine in my USA factory have to be born in the USA?
"The Luggage had a straightforward way of dealing with things between it and its intended destination: it ignored them." -Terry Pratchett
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

When I was a child in the '50s, life was so much more simple. ::facepalm::
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
edge213
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by edge213 »

jerryd6818 wrote: Sun Nov 24, 2019 1:50 am When I was a child in the '50s, life was so much more simple. ::facepalm::
I was a child in the 60s, but I know what your saying.
David
"Glowing like the metal on the edge of a knife" Meat Loaf
Railsplitter
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Railsplitter »

edge213 wrote: Sun Nov 24, 2019 2:21 am
jerryd6818 wrote: Sun Nov 24, 2019 1:50 am When I was a child in the '50s, life was so much more simple. ::facepalm::
I can relate, as I'm sure most of us here can. I remember when all I needed to conquer the world was a bicycle and a pocket knife. Man, those were the days.
Rick T.

"My knife money maketh itself wings!" mb>

Proud member of the Buck Collectors Club Inc.
cudgee

Post by cudgee »

Railsplitter wrote: Sun Nov 24, 2019 2:57 am
edge213 wrote: Sun Nov 24, 2019 2:21 am
I can relate, as I'm sure most of us here can. I remember when all I needed to conquer the world was a bicycle and a pocket knife. Man, those were the days.
You have forgotten 2 must have items "Puncture repair kit and a Pump" ::dang::
espn77

Post by espn77 »

I promise I'm not trying to stir the pot. I honestly wonder these things.
Why do people who buy china/Japan knives have to justify why they buy them to others?
Is there such a thing as vintage/collectable China knives?

I'm not old enough to have hard feelings towards China or Japan, I dont collect them because they (in my view) have no monetary value.
I have a 1920-40 Remington knife I bought for $215. When I pull it out of my pocket to possibly sell its worth about $550. I enjoy knives and there history. I dont see much China, Japan history on aapk. Is that because there isn't much history or nobody cares?

Again these are honest questions, I tried to start a thread asking about China Japan history and it peatered out quickly.
dlr110
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by dlr110 »

Here is an article on our subject from June 2016 I thought was interesting.

Knife Myths: Knives from China are always cheap and inferior
https://blog.knife-depot.com/knife-myth ... orly-made/
David L Roberts, United States Navy Retired
Please visit my website: Woodburning Art by David at

https://www.wdbydavid.com/
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

Personally I don't have an issue with Chinese knives and I own probably 2 dozen or more. But I can't see paying $125, $150 or $200+ for Chinese made knives. Not when companies like Rough Rider/Ryder are selling them for $30 and still making a profit.
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

espn77 wrote: Mon Nov 25, 2019 12:48 am
Why do people who buy china/Japan knives have to justify why they buy them to others?
Well said Keith, and explains one reason I have no interest in them. I collect for the nostalgia of old pre-1980 American-made knives and their histories. I have very few newer knives, and rarely buy them unless it’s for gifts or my personal EDC. For those I’ll spend my money on knives made here, or in another non-communist country, thank-you-very-much. To each his own but that’s my opinion. It has nothing to do with whether or not Chinese-made knives are of high quality.

I’m trying to keep politics out of this so I’ll just say I will always remember my dad lamenting being shot at, shelled and wounded by an enemy that used American steel to make their ammo, because we were naive (and greedy) enough to sell scrap steel to them for years before they bombed Pearl Harbor. Using airplanes and bombs made from that very steel. Even while knowing they were not our friends.

Unfortunately we don’t learn from history. That’s just my perspective - y’all can justify how you spend your money however you wish. ::handshake::

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

espn77 wrote: Mon Nov 25, 2019 12:48 am I promise I'm not trying to stir the pot. I honestly wonder these things.

I'm not old enough to have hard feelings towards China or Japan, I dont collect them because they (in my view) have no monetary value.
I have a 1920-40 Remington knife I bought for $215. When I pull it out of my pocket to possibly sell its worth about $550. I enjoy knives and there history. I dont see much China, Japan history on aapk. Is that because there isn't much history or nobody cares?

Again these are honest questions, I tried to start a thread asking about China Japan history and it peatered out quickly.
I may be wrong about this but I think it's more politics than the quality of the product. You never hear any complaints about clothing products made in the Caribbean or Asian countries. Not a whisper. ::shrug::

And for John, you can still get plenty of Rough Rider patterns for $10-$20.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
Old Folder
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Old Folder »

Not only is Chinese/Asian products in most EVERYTHING you drive, fly in, operate, buy, and wear.
A bit of China is in many of your American made knives.
I see nothing wrong with that. It's called "trade" it makes the world go round.
IMG_0001 (3).JPG
IMG_0002 (2).JPG
IMG_0011 (2) 3.JPG
It's always important to know what you don't know.
Dan
TwoFlowersLuggage
Location: Stuck in traffic on a highway in Southern California

Post by TwoFlowersLuggage »

espn77 wrote: Mon Nov 25, 2019 12:48 am I promise I'm not trying to stir the pot. I honestly wonder these things.

I think you ask some good questions. The reality is that we don't even know if the modern *USA made* knives are truly "collectible". We might have to wait 100 years to answer that question. Personally, I've never been much of a believer in the "manufactured collectible" market - by which I mean a collectible that was created from the outset to be collectible. (*cough* GEC *cough*). I would very much prefer the type of collectibles you are also drawn to - items that were just normal products that over time have become collectible because they are high quality, beautiful and the excellent examples are now truly scarce. Unfortunately, I can't afford to collect those, but that's another story...

Do I think Chinese knives will ever attain the same level of collectibility as 1920s USA made knives? No - probably not. They are made in too high a quantities, for too many years, and the quality, while good, is not anything particularly special. That doesn't mean there aren't some people that like to buy them. People will collect *anything* - valuable or not.

There are plenty of USA made knives that are not nearly the level of valuable collectible as a 1920s Remington. Ebay is full of USA made Imperials that aren't worth as much as a new Rough Rider.
"The Luggage had a straightforward way of dealing with things between it and its intended destination: it ignored them." -Terry Pratchett
knifetime

Post by knifetime »

I've learned to avoid the subject over the years on this particular site but I will throw in my two cents in.

There's no doubt we all know for many of years there was nothing but complete garbage coming out of China as far as cutlery is concerned. And those of you who are old enough, think back to the days after War 2 when all the junk knives that was coming out of Japan hit the American Market. Well just like with the Japanese products including knives they improved over the years.
They are never going to be the quality of American and German knives they just don't have the incentive to do that. The marketplace and the price points they sell at doesn't require their knives to be top quality.
Let's wrap this up real quick by saying ,I do believe companies like Boker and Buck have caused the Chinese cutlery industry to step up its game.

This is one I just got in the mail yesterday made in China AUS 8 SS , carbon fiber handle ball bearing pivot and a razor sharp flat grind blade $22. You get wat you pay for. It's no Benchmad in fit and finish but all the edges beside the back of the blade have been polished and rounded throughout the frame which was very surprising to me for a knife out of China. This is actually my second Komoran and I was so impressed with the quality of the first one , I bought a second one . I have to say they both are great EDC knives. The other one I have is a carbon fiber handle D2 steel blade.
Attachments
ko023.jpg
-"...and he that cleaveth wood shall be endangered thereby If the iron be blunt,and he do not whet the edge,then must he put to more strength....Ecclesiastes 10 10 ;So the good book says
sharpen your knife !!!
knifetime

Post by knifetime »

TwoFlowersLuggage wrote: Tue Nov 26, 2019 10:50 pm

I think you ask some good questions. The reality is that we don't even know if the modern *USA made* knives are truly "collectible". We might have to wait 100 years to answer that question. Personally, I've never been much of a believer in the "manufactured collectible" market - by which I mean a collectible that was created from the outset to be collectible. (*cough* GEC *cough*). I would very much prefer the type of collectibles you are also drawn to - items that were just normal products that over time have become collectible because they are high quality, beautiful and the excellent examples are now truly scarce. Unfortunately, I can't afford to collect those, but that's another story...

Do I think Chinese knives will ever attain the same level of collectibility as 1920s USA made knives? No - probably not. They are made in too high a quantities, for too many years, and the quality, while good, is not anything particularly special. That doesn't mean there aren't some people that like to buy them. People will collect *anything* - valuable or not.

There are plenty of USA made knives that are not nearly the level of valuable collectible as a 1920s Remington. Ebay is full of USA made Imperials that aren't worth as much as a new Rough Rider.

You hit the nail right on the head. You are so right and everything that you just stated.

I would just like to add that in my opinion the knives coming out of America especially the GEC , Canal Street Cutlery and Queen just to name a few are still making some very high quality knives and thank God for them.
-"...and he that cleaveth wood shall be endangered thereby If the iron be blunt,and he do not whet the edge,then must he put to more strength....Ecclesiastes 10 10 ;So the good book says
sharpen your knife !!!
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

knifetime wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 5:02 pm

I would just like to add that in my opinion the knives coming out of America especially the GEC , Canal Street Cutlery and Queen just to name a few are still making some very high quality knives and thank God for them.
Unfortunately Queen is no longer in business. The fact that their quality went into the dumpster several years ago probably was a contributing factor. Canal Street also went belly up, but last I’ve heard a few cutlers have revived the name, with a limited output. Someone here probably knows more recent status about them.

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
treefarmer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by treefarmer »

Question concerning Old Folder's latest post concerning the SMKW emblem on the Case handle. Does Case do the inletting and placement of the emblem or is that an "aftermarket" installation by SMKW? ::hmm::
Treefarmer

A GUN IN THE HAND IS BETTER THAN A COP ON THE PHONE.
knifetime

Post by knifetime »

Yeah I knew about Queen and their quality did fall off the schatt and Morgan selection was pretty nice though. Hate to hear that about Canal Street I love their Conitlore .
sharpen your knife !!!
thankgod4rkids

Post by thankgod4rkids »

I'll weigh in. I joined this site after mistakenly purchasing a "china buck". I carried an Uncle Henry 897 stockman for 20 some years. I was beginning to get nostalgic about it and decided to retire it as my edc. Went to Walmart and seen a name I recognized and bought. At the time I did not know much about flat or hollow grinds or steel. ( I really like Schrade's carbon with flat grind ). The hollow grind on the 371 China Buck was very disappointing. Took an aggressive angle to cut which did not work well for me. Alot of stone work made it cut. Also the springs felt weak compared to the old Uncle Henry. I have since bought a Buck 301 and just this weekend my first Case. The bucks are interesting in that you get basically the same knife, one assembled in China, one in the US. The quality difference is quite evident. Personally I have bought my last knife from China. But since joining this site while researching my new knife I can tell my wife is not going to be happy with my ever growing pocket knife addiction.
Bill
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

thankgod4rkids wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 9:10 pm I'll weigh in. I joined this site after mistakenly purchasing a "china buck". I carried an Uncle Henry 897 stockman for 20 some years. I was beginning to get nostalgic about it and decided to retire it as my edc. Went to Walmart and seen a name I recognized and bought. At the time I did not know much about flat or hollow grinds or steel. ( I really like Schrade's carbon with flat grind ). The hollow grind on the 371 China Buck was very disappointing. Took an aggressive angle to cut which did not work well for me. Alot of stone work made it cut. Also the springs felt weak compared to the old Uncle Henry. I have since bought a Buck 301 and just this weekend my first Case. The bucks are interesting in that you get basically the same knife, one assembled in China, one in the US. The quality difference is quite evident. Personally I have bought my last knife from China. But since joining this site while researching my new knife I can tell my wife is not going to be happy with my ever growing pocket knife addiction.
Bill
Welcome to AAPK. Glad to have you aboard.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
blindhari

Post by blindhari »

I'm new here and I admit I have not read all 21 pages of this topic, that said,

I am retired since 2002 and it has enabled me to set in my garage and carve canes and walking sticks. I have made more than a few and have always preferred diamond willow. When I got them finished they were given away to free to vets. Two years ago now my wrists gave out and I have had to quit carving. Now I keep an eye out for a kid, male or female, who seems to be on the threshold of learning the balance of responsibility and privilege. I ask there parents if they think the kid is old enough for a pocketknife. If yes I give the parent a traditional folder for the kid. The best value I can find for the money are War Eagle folders from A G Russell. I like them better than Case. With a touch of care they should last at least one generation. They are made in China. Like any other purchase value, durability, and usability are in the eye of the buyer. If I encourage just one more future carver/whittler The War Eagle folders I give away have more than done there job.

blindhari
Sgt
Berlin Brigade
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

blindhari

Welcome to AAPK. Grab a rack and stow your gear. Glad to have you aboard.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

Would love to see some pic's of your carving work. And glad you dropped in. ::handshake:: ::handshake::
mrwatch

Post by mrwatch »

for blindhari and others. Diamond willow. I used a draw knife to strip the bark. rotary tool to clean out and boiled linseed oil finish. Hard to get as it grows in swamps.
Attachments
20190218_125815.jpg
20190218_125823.jpg
20190218_125838.jpg
cudgee

Post by cudgee »

Spectacular work. ::tu:: ::tu:: ::tu::
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Also called Willow Eye, an ex-relative up in Montana carved this one and gave it to me. He also gave me several uncarved sticks but they're all gone. I didn't have the patience for them.
Attachments
DSC08573.JPG
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

--T.J. Murphy 2012

Return to “Chinese-made knives”