chinese schrade ??

A place to discuss & share pictures of knives made in China.
old timer1990

chinese schrade ??

Post by old timer1990 »

What is everybody views on the new scharde. I bought one a couple of years ago and I thought it was not very good at all but that was when the first started
philco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: chinese schrade ??

Post by philco »

I have not been much impressed with the Chinese made Schrades. The blades are noticibly thinner and they just don't seem to be a sturdy,well made knife to me. Besides that, there are a lot of the higher quaility (IMO) old US made Schrades still available on the secondary market. Taylor Schrade produced a whole series of Boy Scout knives last year to commorate the 100th anniversary of the scouts in America and I just couldn't bring myself to pony up the cash for them even though I'm a scout knife collector. I have other Chinese made brands, but I'm just not impressed with the new Schrades.

Phil
Phil
AAPK Administrator

Jesus died for you. Are you living for Him?

"Buy More Ammo!"
Johnnie Fain 1949-2009
zed6309
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by zed6309 »

I might in the end get a 303 cadet to compare to the U.S made 303 cadet i have to see the difference ::tu::
Paul,

friendship is a rare and precious gift,
A day without a pocket knife is the day your need it,
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

The differences I have noticed between Schrades made in the two countries are mainly structural.

As a knife mechanic (repairman & customizer) I have worked on a lot of USA Schrades.
Someone asked me of the parts were interchangeable, so I compared a USA model with a Chinese version of the same model #. I noticed that the Chinese model was not the same size. I do not know if all Chinese models are a different size, or just the model I compared.

The USA Schrades were made with the Swinden Key system. Dave Swinden, who worked for Schrade, and I believe, is one of the principals of Canal Street Cutlery, invented the machine that assembles the Swinden type knives. The only Swinden machine(s) was at Schrade. The Chinese Schrades I have looked at all appear to be pin through bolster construction, so they are not Swinden knives. This means that many of the parts will not be interchangeable, at least not without modification. If there were a difference in size, the parts would not likely be interchangeable as well.

I have not made any through or scientific tests to compare edge-holding ability of the US vs. China made knives, so I can’t address that at this time. The difference that stands out to me, as a knife mechanic, is the difference in size and construction.
Dale
AAPK Administrator

Please visit my AAPK store: www.allaboutpocketknives.com/orvet

Job 13:15

"Buy more ammo!" - Johnnie Fain
“Evil is Powerless If The Good are Unafraid.” – Ronald Reagan
zed6309
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by zed6309 »

lol just thought that my schrade custom series is chinese :lol: but is a different model to my 303 plus my U.S made 303 is from around the 70's to early 80's the custom series is pretty new, although no way built as well as the 303, looks pretty though ::tu::
Paul,

old timer1990

Post by old timer1990 »

The one I got a couple of year ago wasn't half as good as my frost knives I got the steel in the blades just don't feel as good as the other ones it didn't hold its edge good at all.
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

zed6309 wrote:lol just thought that my schrade custom series is chinese :lol: but is a different model to my 303 plus my U.S made 303 is from around the 70's to early 80's the custom series is pretty new, although no way built as well as the 303, looks pretty though ::tu::
Paul,
Could you please post a picture of your 303 and the tang stamp?
I don't know of an USA Schrade by that number.
Could it be a 308, stockman; 2'3/4" in length?
Those were made in 1957.

Thanks,
Dale
Dale
AAPK Administrator

zed6309
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by zed6309 »

removed as not relivent :D
Paul,

orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

Sorry Paul, I misunderstood you.
I thought you meant a Schrade 303. ::doh::
Dale
AAPK Administrator

ringergary

Post by ringergary »

Hi all, I carry a Schrade mic. [made in china] 34OT as a EDC. the reason being it does the job and I dont mess my USA ones. They are no way the same construction, you only have to lay them side by side to see that. The bolsters are heavier/thicker, blades are wider/ thicker. Even in knives the same age/use you can feel the difference in blade wobble, the US ones have nil, mic's have minute amount but it's there, Just my 2bob's worth.Cheers Gary. ::tu:: :D
Cheers
Gary

" The dog that trots about gets the bone "
zed6309
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by zed6309 »

orvet wrote:Sorry Paul, I misunderstood you.
I thought you meant a Schrade 303. ::doh::
lol my fault orvet ::dang:: i went to bed last night thinking about this subject and thought hold on we are talking about schrade :? why am i going on about my buck 303 :roll: :lol: i think its all these tablets im taking at the moment effecting my brain :lol:

paul
Paul,

Return to “Chinese-made knives”