MADE IN CHINA SCHRADES

A place to discuss & share pictures of knives made in China.
RancherinAz

Re: MADE IN CHINA SCHRADES

Post by RancherinAz »

I bought a couple .
The Old Timer 25ot and the Uncle Henry 227uh .
And tell ya the truth , I'm impressed . Of course BTI has been at the healm for a bit now and I'm thinking they're doing a better job with them than Taylor Brands did . But both these are quite nice . The Delrin isn't quite the same on either as the depth of the staglon in the Uncle Henry isn't as deep but looks quite good . The coloring on the Old Timer is off a bit down in and the hafting doesn't taper off the way it did on the originals . Other than that , the fit and finish is really good . The corners aren't rounded off as much as the originals and are more pronounced . Blade alignment is spot on dead center on both blades on both knives . Snap is really sharp and happens with authority and they're razor sharp out of the box . The walk is kinda gritty but that's typical in a brand new knife so with some back and forth and some oil I expect that to smooth right out . There's no blade wobble that's for sure and the back springs are perfectly flush in both open and closed position . I mean oerfectly . Hell , I've got real Scrades that can't do that . And they both come with a really nice snap down leather belt sheath embossed with the Uncle Henry and Old Timer logos in them . I paid what ?, 22 bucks a piece for them . The leather sheath alone gotta be worth close to that . I don't know how they can put those out for that money . Some places are charging more but ya gotta shop .
OLDE CUTLER
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by OLDE CUTLER »

RancherinAz wrote: Sat May 29, 2021 7:53 am I bought a couple .
The Old Timer 25ot and the Uncle Henry 227uh .
And tell ya the truth , I'm impressed . Of course BTI has been at the healm for a bit now and I'm thinking they're doing a better job with them than Taylor Brands did . But both these are quite nice . The Delrin isn't quite the same on either as the depth of the staglon in the Uncle Henry isn't as deep but looks quite good . The coloring on the Old Timer is off a bit down in and the hafting doesn't taper off the way it did on the originals . Other than that , the fit and finish is really good . The corners aren't rounded off as much as the originals and are more pronounced . Blade alignment is spot on dead center on both blades on both knives . Snap is really sharp and happens with authority and they're razor sharp out of the box . The walk is kinda gritty but that's typical in a brand new knife so with some back and forth and some oil I expect that to smooth right out . There's no blade wobble that's for sure and the back springs are perfectly flush in both open and closed position . I mean oerfectly . Hell , I've got real Scrades that can't do that . And they both come with a really nice snap down leather belt sheath embossed with the Uncle Henry and Old Timer logos in them . I paid what ?, 22 bucks a piece for them . The leather sheath alone gotta be worth close to that . I don't know how they can put those out for that money . Some places are charging more but ya gotta shop .
The reason they can put them out for that money is simple, they pay a few cents on the dollar for the labor to make them.
"Sometimes even the blind chicken finds corn"
dlr110
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by dlr110 »

I don't have a lot of Schrade knives in my collection. I do have a few older ones (Pre-China made), but I decided to continue looking for those and add a few of the newer imported ones to my collection. Here are the last two I have added.
Attachments
Old Timer 19OT Landshark. Traditional Folding Knife with 2.6in Sheepsfoot Blade and Sawcut Handle.
Old Timer 19OT Landshark. Traditional Folding Knife with 2.6in Sheepsfoot Blade and Sawcut Handle.
Old Timer 194OT Single blade Trapper Linerlock Folding Pocket Knife.
Old Timer 194OT Single blade Trapper Linerlock Folding Pocket Knife.
David R (United States Navy Retired)
Don't just count your many blessings, be the blessing others count on!
Visit my website: Woodburning Art by David https://www.wdbydavid.com/
zed6309
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by zed6309 »

I carried the Schrade 72OTB at work last night , its a out the same size as a case peanut but a bit wider , solid snap and came sharp, and the grinds are actually ok on this one as ive seen some bad grinds, but too be fare ive got a few case knives with bad grinds and they cost a lot more money, as far as i can see the 72ot was made from 86-96 i think ? Nice little knife and the bone is nice as well ::tu::
20210916_181229-01.jpeg
Paul,

friendship is a rare and precious gift,
A day without a pocket knife is the day your need it,
Nev52

Post by Nev52 »

I have had this schrade 29OT about 8 years. As you can see it has put in some hard labor cutting drywall and anything else I was working on. I purchased it when I was doing side work for a friend who was a builder. We were in home depot and I saw it for a price of $12.99 I thought I would use it and then trash it when done. Well I have not worn it out yet. I have to say it is one tough knife. I have a lot of old work knives be it Buck or USA Schrades. This China made knife holds it own.
schrade 29ot.jpg
schrade 29ot.jpg (32.01 KiB) Viewed 2770 times
Nev52

Post by Nev52 »

Just received this china schrade with hoof pick and a deck of playing cards for $9.99 from SMKW. ::tu:: I am going to test out the knife today.
schrade cards.jpg
schrade cards.jpg (29.84 KiB) Viewed 2726 times
Captain O

Post by Captain O »

Yes, the knives are "beaters". The 7Cr17Mov steel composition is okay. 7Cr17MoV, is 440A modified with more vanadium elements. The benefits of vanadium (V): increases strength, wear resistance, and increases toughness; the recommended hardness about 55/57 HRC.

The caveat is that Chinese steel often has "voids" or tiny bubbles in the blade stock. under stress/pressure they can snap off at any time. ::dang:: ::shrug::

You get what you pay for.
zed6309
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by zed6309 »

Got gifted this 44ot yesterday, I've noticed that they seem to be producing some models that schrade dropped over the years, like the 89ot 1989-99 72ot 1986-96? And this 4ot 1990-98? Think I've got the dates right lol .
Screenshot_20211011-204307_Drive.jpg
IMG_2021-10-11_17-9-26_92-01.jpeg
Attachments
Screenshot_20211011-204150_Drive.jpg
Paul,

friendship is a rare and precious gift,
A day without a pocket knife is the day your need it,
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

Being a knife mechanic I had to measure everything and take it apart.
I was not impressed!
First the size was different about 1/8" shorter than the US Schrade. The fit an finish was not close to that of the old US made Schrades. They used stainless instead of carbon steel.
The knife bore a vague resemblance to an Old Timer without the quality.

Before disassembling the knife, I used it to see if it would hold the edge. The Edge retention was disappointing but not as bad as I thought.

That was my experience early on when they first started importing them from China I haven't bought any more since then, nor do I intend to.
Dale
AAPK Administrator

Please visit my AAPK store: www.allaboutpocketknives.com/orvet

Job 13:15

"Buy more ammo!" - Johnnie Fain
“Evil is Powerless If The Good are Unafraid.” – Ronald Reagan
bigshot

Post by bigshot »

I just picked up the whole series of the gray layered wood handle Old Timer Heritage knives. They are fantastic- D2 steel, great fit and finish. I'll do a post on them soon.

At Christmas I had a buddy over and we went through my knife collection. He focused in on the Old Timer 5OT Bruin as being a perfect knife in his estimation.
Captain O

Post by Captain O »

The SS102 and SS105 Imperial/Schrade "Melon Tester" pattern knives are okay. (Nothing really special, but okay). I view these as "kitchen beater" knives that are of the "disposable" variety. If they break, I may not be happy, but I won't be devastated as of it were an Ulster or Colonial unit. ::shrug::
tnorton

Post by tnorton »

bigshot wrote: Mon Dec 27, 2021 9:00 pm I just picked up the whole series of the gray layered wood handle Old Timer Heritage knives. They are fantastic- D2 steel, great fit and finish. I'll do a post on them soon.

At Christmas I had a buddy over and we went through my knife collection. He focused in on the Old Timer 5OT Bruin as being a perfect knife in his estimation.
Looking forward to your knife pics and review
Rich53

Post by Rich53 »

I have a few Schrade folders. They're functional, good beater knives. Nothing special.

Return to “Chinese-made knives”