A.G. Russell wharncliffe

A place to discuss & share pictures of knives made in China.
terdl76

A.G. Russell wharncliffe

Post by terdl76 »

Sorry for not posting in the already started Russell thread but that thing isn't even close to being on topic. Got this for my birthday today and am quite surprised/pleased with it overall. I am mostly a W.R. Case fan but they don't produce anything like this pattern. Fit and finish seem great, excellent snap, both open and close and closes dead center. I'm a big fan of the wharncliffe blade and own a Case swayback gent but its a little too dainty for work (plumber). This has a decent size and weight to it. I know some think these knives are overpriced but the way I see it is if you never own one, how would you know? Anyway here are a few pictures.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
If it ain't broke, break it!
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: A.G. Russell wharncliffe

Post by jerryd6818 »

I have owned one and it is some kinda knife. It hurts me to say I've never seen that kind of fit & finish in a production U.S. knife. As much as I admired the knife, in the end I just couldn't get past the country of origin and traded it off. Think of me what you will but I'm torn on this knife. I hate to admit it but I miss it.

Edit: I feel I have to add, other than the country of origin, the only fault I could find with this knife was the handles. Hated them. Didn't like the jig pattern at all. Purely a personal opinion and I'm sure there others whose opinion of the jigging is as positive as mine is negative so it all balances out. Outside of that, the knife was/is, hands down, supurb.
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

That is a beautiful looking knife. A.G. pays high attention to quality control, sometimes sending back entire shipments to China or elsewhere until the work is well done. Selling some imported knives is a matter of survival, not just greater profit, so I'm happy to support one of the godfathers of the cutlery hobby. Others will have different opinions which I very much respect.
IMBand

Post by IMBand »

Thanks for posting that, I looked at the smooth white bone version of that knife about a hundred times, never
did pull the trigger and they are sold out now :( .......BEAUTIFUL piece for sure. ::nod::

IM
:)
AAPK #6581
slimpickins

Post by slimpickins »

Looks to be a well made knife for sure and tho I have a Marbles swell-center congress pen with beautiful scalloped bolsters made in China, I'm like Jerry in that I just have a problem with things made in China but there's no escaping the fact they manufacture everything almost.I suppose at one time people felt that way about German made knives. Slim
HiPower

Post by HiPower »

these chinese made knives are made in different factories all over china. quality of course varies but spydie, benchmade & some of the upper end american companies choose plants that would give great quality & ensured high quality control. the Byrd line started by spydie has been so popular that this product stands by itself as a popular import. given enough profit & contol over quality the chinese can make as good a knife as any in the world.sal glasser went to taiwan & seki, japan trying to get a certain product made. he commented the only ones to accomplish this piece was the chinese. i do'nt own any chinese knives but if i wanted a good inexpensive knife i would probably look in that direction.--HiPower
HiPower

Return to “Chinese-made knives”