Rough Riders!

For Collectors & Users of Rough Rider Brand Knives.
cudgee

Re: Rough Riders!

Post by cudgee »

cbay wrote: Mon Dec 21, 2020 12:54 am Boy sure am late to the rough rider scene but have enjoyed them now for about two years.
Would have been nice to be a few years earlier as the ones i like the best are not around it seems now.

Got a thing where i can't stand the "R" on the bolsters so that takes me out of the game on most of the new ones.
Favorites are the 3.5" stockmans and trappers and copperheads. The copperheads are just right for every day carry.
Right when i found out about the RR's there were a couple of the delrin stag handled medium stockmans and snatched them
up along with a 3.5" trapper in delrin. They are like pieces of jewelry. Found a really nice stag around then and it's the same.

They are grouped together in the zoomed pic. Should have done individual close up pics being lazy here. lol
One question for you guys... I saved all the boxes for them and will never get rid of the knives,, so wondering if there was a market for them?
Just curious got to thinking maybe there would be for guys that trade them, etc..

As far as quality on the knives i can't complain for the price. A stickler for wobble and the R. Some have a little wobble but more don't than do.
I remember years ago going through a ton of cases to find a good copy at a big store and got tired of trying and settled for one that had as much
as the very few RR's i got that have wobble.

In reality it's prolly good there are fewer running around now or these things would start getting out of hand.
Great thread guys, been through every page. lol Some great knives to be seen on here.
Welcome aboard the " Money Train " ::uc:: . You will like it and be made to feel most welcome here. Lucky for you, after seeing your collection, that you were late on the Rough Rider scene, you might be broke if you had of joined the party early. ::mdm:: ::mdm:: ::mdm:: ::tu:: ::handshake::
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

cbay, that's a fine group of RR's you have there. Welcome aboard. Grab a rack, stow your gear and get to posting. Glad to have you.

Edit: A fella that doesn't post much anymore but one fine, fine human being lives down in your neck of the woods. He's Whitebuffalo58 (Rob)
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Rough Riders are very good knives and have been so for the last 15 years. They have made the widest variety of knives of any of today's knife brands. They always arrive shaving sharp. They hold up well when used as work knives and stay sharp for a full whitetail deer field dressing.
None of mine have any blade play.
Note: i am only speaking of the traditional style folding knives. I have found the tactical (modern) RR's to be not as good. Likely they are made in a different factory.
kj
Old Folder
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Old Folder »

Welcome to aapk cbay. ::handshake::
Nice collection you have there.
I think that the majority of Rough Ryder collectors agree with you of the R logo on the RR bolsters are rather annoying. However, it appears that many of RR newer knives are without it. Perhaps they are listening?
I would also like for them to bring back some of the older patterns that I missed out on from prior years. They would also be of better quality now than the older ones due to many production reasons.

Just out of curiosity cbay, have you searched www.smkw.com for Rough Rider knives? They own the rights to RR knives and are the major selling point of RR knives. I purchase most of my Rough Ryder knives through them.
The current RR quality is outstanding and equal to all domestic knives in production.
Have you seen the new (RRR) "Rough Rider Reserve" series?

Dan
It's always important to know what you don't know.
Dan
dlr110
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by dlr110 »

Welcome cbay, you're going to love it around here. I'm into the Rough Ryder's too and if I need anything
my go to guy is Dan when it come to RR's.
::welcome:: to AAPK.

BTW are you near Branson or alone some of the great antique shops on I-44? I go that way a couple times
a year. Just asking.
David L Roberts, United States Navy Retired
Please visit my website: Woodburning Art by David at

https://www.wdbydavid.com/
Old Folder
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Old Folder »

Rough Rider Model RR1847 Tortuga Trapper 4.13" closed. Mirror finish stainless clip and spey blades. Brown grooved bone handle. Nickel silver bolster(s). Inlay shield.
I received this last week from smkw. I thought that perhaps the "Tortuga" was going to be a new series from RR. I love the Tortoiseshell pattern brown bone handles.
Upon opening and inspecting my newly anticipated RR I noticed that the shield was one that RR used on their older knives, than, paying closer attention to the front of the box, I noticed that RR logo said "ROUGH RIDER 20 YEARS" 'Rough Rider' was changed to 'Rough Ryder' a year or two ago, and the 'Horseshoe' on the blade tangs are also old school. RR will be entering 27 years of production in 2021.
Okay, I have a old / new stock RR from 2014? I"m not complaining, perhaps they are Old Warehouse Finds? I have never seen this pattern before, but I like it. I hope it continues.
Smkw comes out with surprises all the time. It's a private company and they do not have to discuss their decisions with us. I like their decisions.
As of this writing, the RR1847 is still available at skkw. I might even buy another one.
RR1847 $14.99
The quality of the Tortuga is in line with the new RRR series. However, I did not notice a small 1/8" hairline bone fracture on the front forward rivet where it meets the front bolster until I posted my pictures on my computer. No big deal, & not worth sending it back to Smoky.
What are your opinions on this Tortoiseshell pattern?

Dan

Rough Rider RR1847 Tortuga Trapper.jpg
IMG_0010 (1).JPG
IMG_0011.JPG
IMG_0006 (4).JPG
IMG_0007.JPG
IMG_0012 (1).JPG
IMG_0009 (1).JPG
Dan
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

My opinion? Great for you. Not my cup of tea. ::shrug::
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
cbay

Post by cbay »

Thanks for the warm welcome guys. Appreciate it.

Old Folder wrote: Mon Dec 21, 2020 1:58 am Welcome to aapk cbay. ::handshake::
Just out of curiosity cbay, have you searched www.smkw.com for Rough Rider knives? They own the rights to RR knives and are the major selling point of RR knives. I purchase most of my Rough Ryder knives through them.
The current RR quality is outstanding and equal to all domestic knives in production.
Have you seen the new (RRR) "Rough Rider Reserve" series?

Dan
Hi Old Folder,
SMKW was a recent recipient of some of my hard earned cash...Ha.
I keep and eye on them now, and to be honest, as much as i don't like the "R" stamp, that cinammon bone is sorely tempting me.
The RR reserve is another one,, the higher price has slowed me down some but yes another temptation for sure, that canoe is beautiful.

dlr110 wrote: Mon Dec 21, 2020 2:17 am Welcome cbay, you're going to love it around here. I'm into the Rough Ryder's too and if I need anything
my go to guy is Dan when it come to RR's.
::welcome:: to AAPK.

BTW are you near Branson or alone some of the great antique shops on I-44? I go that way a couple times
a year. Just asking.
Thanks dlr110, I'm up on the south end of Stockton Lake outside of Greenfield.
Chris
dlr110
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by dlr110 »

Okay we usually spend the night in Joplin so we go to the Rangeline Antique Mall out north of town.
That's not too far from you. :D

zed6309
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by zed6309 »

Many know I like RR's ::tu:: I should have the Rough rider reserve kayak tomorrow, I got it in a trade for some of my Stag work , I'm really looking forward to seeing it , cool looking modern take on the canoe pattern, pics asap ::tu::
Paul,

friendship is a rare and precious gift,
A day without a pocket knife is the day your need it,
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

zed6309 wrote: Mon Dec 21, 2020 6:35 pm Many know I like RR's ::tu:: I should have the Rough rider reserve kayak tomorrow, I got it in a trade for some of my Stag work , I'm really looking forward to seeing it , cool looking modern take on the canoe pattern, pics asap ::tu::
Pictures "Z". We still like pictures.
Attachments
rrr002.jpg
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
LanG

Post by LanG »

I was browsing ebay for a barlow user, but chose the black Coal Miner instead. With so many positive posts from respected users, my expectations are high for the little money spent. If USPS continues it's current pace, I should have it by spring! ::pace::
RR Coal Miner
RR Coal Miner
Lan
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

I think you'll be pleased with the "Coal Miner". It's a real dandy knife. ::nod::
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
zed6309
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by zed6309 »

jerryd6818 wrote: Mon Dec 21, 2020 8:20 pm
zed6309 wrote: Mon Dec 21, 2020 6:35 pm Many know I like RR's ::tu:: I should have the Rough rider reserve kayak tomorrow, I got it in a trade for some of my Stag work , I'm really looking forward to seeing it , cool looking modern take on the canoe pattern, pics asap ::tu::
:D hopefully pics later Jerry when it arrives ::tu:: have a great Christmas mate ::tu::
Paul,

jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

zed6309 wrote: Tue Dec 22, 2020 6:44 am
:D hopefully pics later Jerry when it arrives ::tu:: have a great Christmas mate ::tu::
Ahh! And I chastise others because they don't read. My bad. ::facepalm::
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
zed6309
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by zed6309 »

jerryd6818 wrote: Tue Dec 22, 2020 11:46 am
zed6309 wrote: Tue Dec 22, 2020 6:44 am

Ahh! And I chastise others because they don't read. My bad. ::facepalm::
Lol Jerry :lol: some pics as just got it through the door ::tu:: first impressions are good, really well made, great solid snap, D2 steel , micarta covers , nickel bolsters and brass liners, ok some pics
IMG_2020-12-22_12-29-43_274.jpg
IMG_2020-12-22_12-30-15_428.jpg
Paul,

Beavertail

Post by Beavertail »

LanG wrote: Tue Dec 22, 2020 2:54 am I was browsing ebay for a barlow user, but chose the black Coal Miner instead. With so many positive posts from respected users, my expectations are high for the little money spent. If USPS continues it's current pace, I should have it by spring! ::pace::

RR.jpg
I think you'll like that Coal miner.
Mine is a very well made knife. ::tu:: ::tu:: ::handshake::
Tim
Old Folder
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Old Folder »

I remember seeing the below RR Moonshiner advertised a couple years ago at smkw.. Unfortunately I did not purchase it. ::tear::
Lucky if you did.

Dan

RR MOONSHINER RR870.jpg
Dan
dlr110
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by dlr110 »

Old Folder wrote: Wed Dec 23, 2020 12:01 am I remember seeing the below RR Moonshiner advertised a couple years ago at smkw.. Unfortunately I did not purchase it. ::tear::
Lucky if you did.

Dan

RR MOONSHINER RR870.jpg
I got mine this past year.
Attachments
20200313_201550.jpg

Old Folder
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Old Folder »

Way to go David. ::groove::
Looks as if I'll have to visit the auction sites later, and pay $ ???

Dan
Dan
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

David, is that a full size trapper?
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
dlr110
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by dlr110 »

jerryd6818 wrote: Wed Dec 23, 2020 12:44 am David, is that a full size trapper?
4 inches closed, 7.5 inches open.

jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

So it is a full size Trapper. Thanks.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
treefarmer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by treefarmer »

treefarmer wrote: Wed Oct 28, 2020 10:29 pm Question for the Rough Rider/Ryder Experts:
Since I splurged and purchased the $9.99 RR Black Cherry Bone Moose because of the unique spay blade, I realized I have no idea what the engraved IRT on the mark side front bolster stands for? Went back through the whole RR thread and noticed quite a few different patterns with the same markings. Any body have an idea about this? I even went to the RR website read all about Teddy Roosevelt but didn't see any thing about the bolster markings. I may be like the feller that couldn't the forest for the trees. ::shrug::
Something else that I noticed, about 40% of the RR posts have been made in 2020.032.JPG030.JPG
Treefarmer
My intentions were to use the above RR as a deer knife but I gave it to one of my brothers in law when they visited a few days ago. He really liked it and could not find one in stock with the Black Cherry bone handles at SMKW.
Treefarmer

A GUN IN THE HAND IS BETTER THAN A COP ON THE PHONE.
dlr110
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by dlr110 »

Has anyone bought the Rough Ryder Copper Ridge Series?
Capture.JPG

Return to “Rough Rider Knife Forum”