Rough Riders!

For Collectors & Users of Rough Rider Brand Knives.
edge213
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Rough Riders!

Post by edge213 »

dlr110 wrote: Mon Jan 04, 2021 7:40 pm Okay, here is the RR Stag Lockback I received today.
The first thing I noticed was it was advertised by SMKW on their website as a "RYDER" but it came in a "RIDER" box.
The next thing I noticed was the tang stamp has the Rough Rider logo, but the name is spelled "ROUGH RIDE." The picture on their website has that same spelling on it.
On the pile side it's stamped "SURGICAL STEEL PAKISTAN." I was not aware of a factory in Pakistan.
I called SMKW and they confirm that they do have some knives that come from Pakistan and that some of the older boxes could still be used. The misspelling of the name was a surprise and she stated she would insure the owner was made aware of it. She also assured me that if they shipped it that I did not receive a fake. She then offered to replace the knife, but I declined stating that all of them that came from that same Pakistan factory most likely had the same mistake. What happen to "Quality Control?"
20210104_133144.jpg20210104_122648.jpg20210104_133203.jpg

I've only seen a couple RR made in Pakistan. They didn't seem to be near the quality of the ones made in China .
David
"Glowing like the metal on the edge of a knife" Meat Loaf
LanG

Post by LanG »

I found a couple for a good price at a flea market Saturday. I like the patterns, and that the bolsters are plain.
They're both nice and sharp, and the blades are tight, but could use a touch of oil.
The scales on the sowbelly have an interesting pattern. Feels good in hand...
RR2.jpg
Lan
Old Folder
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Old Folder »

LanG wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 10:53 pm I found a couple for a good price at a flea market Saturday. I like the patterns, and that the bolsters are plain.
They're both nice and sharp, and the blades are tight, but could use a touch of oil.
The scales on the sowbelly have an interesting pattern. Feels good in hand...

RR2.jpg
Nice find LanG. ::nod::
A pair of oldies, appears to be unused and I like the plain bolsters without the annoying "R" logo.

Dan
It's always important to know what you don't know.
Dan
cudgee

Post by cudgee »

It's quite amazing, you nearly could not give away RR's when they first appeared, now you can hardly find any of the earlier production runs. ::doh::
LanG

Post by LanG »

Old Folder wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 11:03 pm
Nice find LanG. ::nod::
A pair of oldies, appears to be unused and I like the plain bolsters without the annoying "R" logo.

Dan
Thank you, Dan. I'm not a fan of the "R" logo either.
Lan
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

LanG wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 12:23 am
Thank you, Dan. I'm not a fan of the "R" logo either.
And Jerry makes three.

This one finally showed up in my mailbox.
Rough Rider RR100 Mini-Trapper Trump 2020 - Labeled.JPG

It's this knife with embellishments on the mark side.
Rough Rider RR100 White Bone - Labeled.JPG
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

RE: post above by "Edge": Rough Rider fixed blades have always ? come from Pakistan. I have never before heard of a RR folder coming from Pakistan and being marked as "Rough Ride" makes me think of it as a fake Rough Rider.
Anyone else here have an RR folder from Pakistan ?
kj
edge213
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by edge213 »

kootenay joe wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 9:35 pm RE: post above by "Edge": Rough Rider fixed blades have always ? come from Pakistan. I have never before heard of a RR folder coming from Pakistan and being marked as "Rough Ride" makes me think of it as a fake Rough Rider.
kj

Yes. A few years ago I purchased a RR FB from SMKW. It was made in Pakistan. It was a piece of sh.....
I gave it away.
I seriously doubt anyone is faking RR at this point in time.
David
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

edge213 wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 12:15 am
kootenay joe wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 9:35 pm RE: post above by "Edge": Rough Rider fixed blades have always ? come from Pakistan. I have never before heard of a RR folder coming from Pakistan and being marked as "Rough Ride" makes me think of it as a fake Rough Rider.
kj

Yes. A few years ago I purchased a RR FB from SMKW. It was made in Pakistan. It was a piece of sh.....
I gave it away.
I was asking about RR folding knives marked "Pakistan" like the one described above. As it is marked "Rough Ride" not Rough Rider" and is from Pakistan, not China, it sounds like a 'knock off' aka "fake" to me.
Rough Rider has established itself as making excellent quality traditional style folders so it is possible that someone will try to make money by selling very cheaply made knives with a name that is Rough Rider without the last 'r'.
kj
Old Folder
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Old Folder »

kootenay joe wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 1:31 am
kj

I gave it away.
I was asking about RR folding knives marked "Pakistan" like the one described above. As it is marked "Rough Ride" not Rough Rider" and is from Pakistan, not China, it sounds like a 'knock off' aka "fake" to me.
Rough Rider has established itself as making excellent quality traditional style folders so it is possible that someone will try to make money by selling very cheaply made knives with a name that is Rough Rider without the last 'r'.
kj
Roland ::tu:: ::tu:: ::tu::
It's always important to know what you don't know.
Dan
edge213
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by edge213 »

kj

I gave it away.
My bad on the FB and folder. I guess I wasn't paying close enough attention.
I have never seen a RR folder made in Pakistan only fixed blades.
The Pakistan FBs that I have seen are junk.
Having said that, I still say I seriously doubt anyone is faking RR knives.
The missing "r" is probably just a bad etch and poor QC.
David
dlr110
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by dlr110 »

kj
Here is a post I made on the previous page.

Okay, here is the RR Stag Lockback I received today.
The first thing I noticed was it was advertised by SMKW on their website as a "RYDER" but it came in a "RIDER" box.
The next thing I noticed was the tang stamp has the Rough Rider logo, but the name is spelled "ROUGH RIDE." The picture on their website has that same spelling on it.
On the pile side it's stamped "SURGICAL STEEL PAKISTAN." I was not aware of a factory in Pakistan.
I called SMKW and they confirm that they do have some knives that come from Pakistan and that some of the older boxes could still be used. The misspelling of the name was a surprise and she stated she would insure the owner was made aware of it. She also assured me that if they shipped it that I did not receive a fake. She then offered to replace the knife, but I declined stating that all of them that came from that same Pakistan factory most likely had the same mistake. What happen to "Quality Control?"
David R (United States Navy Retired)
Don't just count your many blessings, be the blessing others count on!
Visit my website: Woodburning Art by David https://www.wdbydavid.com/
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

David, thanks for re-posting. It helps with the 'story' on the same page. The woman at SMKW on the phone likely does not know what is going on here but something is. Maybe Rough Rider is bringing out a lower line of knives called "Rough Ride" ? Or did buyer for SMKW get 'taken' thinking he was buying Rough Rider knives ? As SMKW owns the Rough Rider brand i doubt a buyer could get deceived.
I am a long time Rough Rider fan (since 2007) and every RR knife i have was made in China and every one is a really good & sharp knife. So i'm very interested to find out what the story is behind "Rough Ride" from Pakistan.
kj
dlr110
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by dlr110 »

kootenay joe wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 7:40 am David, thanks for re-posting. It helps with the 'story' on the same page. The woman at SMKW on the phone likely does not know what is going on here but something is. Maybe Rough Rider is bringing out a lower line of knives called "Rough Ride" ? Or did buyer for SMKW get 'taken' thinking he was buying Rough Rider knives ? As SMKW owns the Rough Rider brand i doubt a buyer could get deceived.
I am a long time Rough Rider fan (since 2007) and every RR knife i have was made in China and every one is a really good & sharp knife. So i'm very interested to find out what the story is behind "Rough Ride" from Pakistan.
kj
I'm very interested also, that's why I'm going to follow up with a formal letter to them asking for a company explanation. I'm hoping to get a good response that will clear everything up.
dlr110
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by dlr110 »

kootenay joe wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 7:40 am David, thanks for re-posting. It helps with the 'story' on the same page. The woman at SMKW on the phone likely does not know what is going on here but something is. Maybe Rough Rider is bringing out a lower line of knives called "Rough Ride" ? Or did buyer for SMKW get 'taken' thinking he was buying Rough Rider knives ? As SMKW owns the Rough Rider brand i doubt a buyer could get deceived.
kj
Here is the letter I'm sending to SMKW.
Capture1.JPG
edge213
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by edge213 »

The beautiful letter and letterhead is probably worth more than the knife.
Looking forward to see their answer.
David
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

David, i hope you get a real answer, not just a generalized marketing B.S. reply.
We need to find out: Are some Rough Rider/Ryder folding knives now being made in Pakistan ?
The RR fixed blades have been made in Pakistan for maybe 10 years now but every folding RR knife i have (few hundred) is marked "China".
kj
Modern Slip Joints

Post by Modern Slip Joints »

kootenay joe wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 11:50 pm [...] We need to find out: Are some Rough Rider/Ryder folding knives now being made in Pakistan ?
The RR fixed blades have been made in Pakistan for maybe 10 years now but every folding RR knife i have (few hundred) is marked "China".
kj
SMKW is selling the Rough Ryder RR1396 stag 4 1/4" lock back for $14.99. It is made in Pakistan. A stag Case Mako style knife priced that low is a good clue. I suggest always reading enough of a retailer's description or scrutinizing their pictures until you learn what country an RR was made in. For at least one Pakistan made RR fixed blade SMKW omitted country of manufacture from their description. The only place Pakistan occurs in their web site page on the knife is Pakistan etched on the blade. However, it's rumored that the factory making most of the RR pocket knives is the most automated pocket knife factory on the planet and it's hard to under price the robots when you're making knives in a cave. Apparently what the Pakistanis can do less expensively than the Chinese is attach stag.
zed6309
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by zed6309 »

Also Pakistan is known for making these lockback hunter style knives and I remember getting one in the early 80's , there also known for these fancy bolsters as well, I'm not surprised that these are coming out of Pakistan.
Paul,

friendship is a rare and precious gift,
A day without a pocket knife is the day your need it,
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Quote Modern Slip Joints: "However, it's rumored that the factory making most of the RR pocket knives is the most automated pocket knife factory on the planet and it's hard to under price the robots".
I think i am the person responsible for this rumor. I posted a few years back that the RR knives are so consistently precise especially the thinly ground ultra sharp blades that i suggested they might be made using laser controlled computerized robotic machines.
Phil Gibbs then commented on this saying that the Chinese factory that made the very precise folders for A G Russell was far from modern and involved hand work by employees that they had to train and supervise closely to get the high standards that A.G. insisted on.
Phil Gibbs was a senior manger at Camillus for many years and after Camillus closed in 2007 he went to work for A.G. Russell. His job was designing knives and then ensuring that they were made to the highest level of workmanship and fit and finish. This involved trips to the factory in China, so he definitely knows what he is talking about.
If the excellent AGR China folders are made using old fashioned equipment, then the same is likely true for the RR folders.
kj
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

I asked Dan (Old Folder) if he would help me get one of the SMKW's new Rough Ryder knives with VG-10 steel. SMKW does not ship to Canada. I do have a USA shipping address but i cannot access it as the USA/Canada border has been closed since March 2020 due to Covid.
The package arrived yesterday and to my surprise it contained 2 of these new RR folders, one with the blue handle and one with the silver-green handle.
I am super impressed with these knives. The design is excellent, feels natural in hand, blade action is smooth and blade is 100% solid in the open position. The blade is thinly ground and the VG-10 edge is literally hair poppin' sharp. My arm hairs seem to leap away as soon as the blade edge touches their outer surface.
I am a strong believer in "if it ain't broke, don't fix it". The couple of hundred traditional style RR knives i have all arrived with very sharp blade edges. Not even one blade was less than very sharp. And i have used a few of them in the garden, etc. and found that these blades edge hold much longer than you would expect.
So i was concerned that a switch to VG-10 steel might result in blades not quite as sharp as they are with the 'regular' steel used for the traditional style RR blades. However there was no need to worry. These VG-10 blades could not be sharper.
These are amazingly good knives yet they cost only $15 each. If you get one you will not regret it, guaranteed.
Thank you Dan for helping me obtain these new RR's and for your generosity of sending me 2 even though i only paid for one.
kj
Attachments
IMGP0535.JPG
IMGP0536.JPG
IMGP0537.JPG
IMGP0538.JPG
KLJ77
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by KLJ77 »

This ARE very nice looking, KJ. I really like the looks of the blue one. ::hmm::
LJ

"The problems we face today are there because the people who work for a living are now outnumbered by those that vote for a living."
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Thanks LJ. The looks are o.k. I like jigged bone or hardwood but these metal handles keep it slim and easy to pocket. The best things are in hand feel and an ultra-sharp blade that i expect will edge hold very well. It would be hard to find a better slicer pocket knife at any price.
You might find 'equal' but not better. And, this knife costs $15.00 ! With knives, price and quality are very loosely connected.
kj
zed6309
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by zed6309 »

Love these KJ , not available in the uk sadly , when /if I get one I'm going to do Stag covers on it ::tu:: these look just like the HH slipstream that is S35vn and titanium scales ::tu::
20201125_121802-01.jpeg
Paul,

friendship is a rare and precious gift,
A day without a pocket knife is the day your need it,
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Paul, that is a fine looking knife. I have not heard of "HH" except as "Helle Hanson" a maker of outdoor winter clothing. I doubt your knife is from the same HH ?
kj

Return to “Rough Rider Knife Forum”