Rough Riders!

For Collectors & Users of Rough Rider Brand Knives.
cbay

Re: Rough Riders!

Post by cbay »

Nothing like some RR envy to start the week off. Very nice kj
Chris
charlesf20

Post by charlesf20 »

kootenay joe wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 11:35 pm One of the many things i like about Rough Rider is the wide range of patterns, all well designed.
Here is an Electrician's knife with a liner lock for the screw driver blade and an etch showing inches on the master Spear point blade.
And, there is an adjustable wrench attached to the handle butt and it works well.
Great knife !
kj
:shock: So cool! Never saw anything like that.
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

I've been lusting after these 2 knives for awhile now, and they arrived this morning! 8)
WIN_20211105_12_29_46_Pro.jpg
WIN_20211105_12_29_28_Pro.jpg
R/R 2181/Blue denim Micarta covers and wharncliffe blade!
WIN_20211105_12_30_54_Pro.jpg
WIN_20211105_12_30_19_Pro.jpg
R/R 2176 Bow Trapper/Black Micarta covers and upswept blade!
8)
jmh58

Post by jmh58 »

SCHWEEETTT!! 👍🎊👍
John 🏁
Not all who wander are lost!!

Of all the paths you take in life,
Make sure some of them are Dirt!!!
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

jmh58 wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 11:18 pm SCHWEEETTT!! 👍🎊👍
John 🏁
Thanks again John! ::handshake:: 8)
8)
QTCut5
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by QTCut5 »

Madmarco wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 9:08 pm Blue denim Micarta covers and wharncliffe blade!
Oh Yeah...now you're speaking my language :mrgreen: ::tu::

I'm a huge fan of Wharncliffe Swaybacks and the Blue Denim RR is a great knife. Nice pick up, Madmarco. ::nod::
We are all just prisoners here of our own device.
In the master's chamber they gather for the feast.
They stab it with their steely knives but they just can't kill the beast.
(Eagles: Hotel California)

~Q~
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

QTCut5 wrote: Sat Nov 06, 2021 12:33 am
Madmarco wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 9:08 pm Blue denim Micarta covers and wharncliffe blade!
Oh Yeah...now you're speaking my language :mrgreen: ::tu::

I'm a huge fan of Wharncliffe Swaybacks and the Blue Denim RR is a great knife. Nice pick up, Madmarco. ::nod::
Thanks a lot Q! ::handshake:: I had a feeling you would like that one, considering all the high-end models with Wharncliffe blades that you post. I fully realize we have all seen that knife before this, and that it's an inexpensive knife, but it just seems to be a model that no one ever gets tired of seeing. Thx again! 8)
8)
bigshot

Post by bigshot »

Rough Ryder makes a couple of bow trappers in black. I really like them. I've got one on order. The carbon steel one with the leather lanyard.
Old Folder
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Old Folder »

bigshot wrote: Sat Nov 06, 2021 9:04 pm Rough Ryder makes a couple of bow trappers in black. I really like them. I've got one on order. The carbon steel one with the leather lanyard.
I believe the one you are describing is the RR1572? ($16.99) at Smoky.

RR 1572 2.jpg
RR 1572 3.jpg
RR 1572 1.jpg
Features: 440 High Carbon Steel Blades. Titanium Coating. Nail Nicks. Slip Joint. Black G-10 Handles. Brass Liners with red incerts. Brushed Nickel Silver Pins, Shield, and Ringed, Pinched Bolsters. Braided Cord Lanyard with Nickel Silver Bead Accent.
Master blade is a bit off center when closed, but no rubbing.
Very happy with this Bow Trapper. :D

Dan
It's always important to know what you don't know.
Dan
bigshot

Post by bigshot »

That's it. There is a new version in the Classic Carbon II series. It appears to be about the same, except micarta handles,T10, no titanium coating, no lanyard. What is "440 high carbon"? Isn't 440 stainless?
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

Old Folder, Your RR has striking good looks. Congrats! ::tu::
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

I too am a bit partial to those Bow Trappers.
Rough Rider Bow Trappers - Labeled.JPG
Rough Rider RR1751 Old Southwest Bow Trapper - Labeled.JPG
Rough Ryder RR2176 T10 Bow Trapper - Labeled.JPG
Even though they call this one a Sowbelly Trapper, I think it would pass as a Bow Trapper.
Rough Rider RR1906 Sowbelly Trapper Buckshot Bone - Labeled.JPG
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
Reverand
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Reverand »

I love the look of the RR2176, the T10 Bow Trapper. The blade design is really neat! I have been eyeing one of those!
Jesus is life.
Everything else is just a hobby.

~Reverand
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Now see what you've done went and done? This forum is bad for my pocketbook. This Classic Carbon is on it's way and a red T-10 is on my watch list for next month. ::facepalm::
Attachments
RR Bow Trapper Classic Carbon.jpg
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
Beavertail

Post by Beavertail »

Picked up these two the other day.
The single blade sowbelly rides good in the pocket.
The Teardrop Jack was a pattern I could never find but finally found one.
Attachments
rr2183.jpg
RR1676.jpg
Tim
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

It still amazes me what an excellent knife you can get for so little money. You can build a large collection showing nearly every traditional pattern without spending all of your savings.
kj
Modern Slip Joints

Post by Modern Slip Joints »

I recently bought the RR Old Southwest Bow Trapper and a black one when SMKW first introduced the pattern. My early one was advertised as being mis-stamped with the wrong blade steel, 440 instead of carbon steel or vise versa, I forget which. SMKW has sold them with both steels and multiple side covers. While they are a wee bit gaudy, I like the Old Southwest side covers.

Regarding knife vocabulary, I hate seeing non-stainless steel called carbon steel. If I want to write non-stainless steel I often do. Out of context the word carbon in carbon steel adds no information. On the other hand, we all know what carbon steel means among knife collectors and I wrote it in my first paragraph. I'm sure none of us doubt that old folder knows "440 high carbon steel" is a contradiction among knife guys that presume carbon steel means non-stainless. I suspect that he copied and pasted that without editing it. If he did, the ad was not wrong. The 440A RR usually uses is higher carbon than many steel alloys, both stainless and not.
bigshot

Post by bigshot »

Just to confuse things, I just bought a bow trapper in black with the lanyard in carbon steel with titanium coating, so there are three different kinds of this knife. I wonder if they are all under the same model number? The one I ordered was RR1572.
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Each one has it's own unique model/pattern number.
Attachments
Rough Rider Black RR1572 Bow Trapper - Labeled.JPG
Rough Rider RR1751 Old Southwest Bow Trapper - Labeled.JPG
Rough Rider RR1892 Tobacco Road Brown Bone Bow Trapper - Black Labeled.JPG
Rough Ryder RR2176 T10 Bow Trapper - Labeled.JPG
Rough Rider RR1739 Classic Carbon Bow Trapper Yelllow Handle - Labeled.JPG
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
bigshot

Post by bigshot »

I see the T10 has a completely different kind of blade. I'll have to order that too. I thought the T10 was just a reissue of the other black one.
Modern Slip Joints

The RR2176 with T10 blade is a different pattern. Worded differently, it has a different size and shape handle. Other than not being stainless I wonder what alloy they've renamed T10.

I want to like the Tobacco Road Bow Trapper. Its bone looks good if I ignore the decoration being a tobacco leaf. However, I won't buy anything that promotes tobacco.
QTCut5
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by QTCut5 »

After my experience with the two Rough Ryder Reserve knives I got (Kayak, Hedgehog), both of which are excellent knives in every respect, I was elated to discover a RRR in one of my favorite patterns: Wharncliffe Swayback...and it has an EO cut-out as well, which I like ::tu::. It was less expensive than the other RRR folders by nearly $20 (I paid $38.00 for mine, but have since seen them for even less), which was nice, but, sadly, not up to the same quality standard as my other RRRs (or even a regular RR, for that matter).

It looks great, but has absolutely no snap going into the fully open position; the blade actually has to be manually pushed the final 1/16" or so in order for it to seat against the back spring, and it makes a strange clicking noise when closing (when I first heard it, it sounded like the back spring had snapped in two :shock: ). Great looking knife, but very disappointing performance/construction. I wonder if anyone else has had any similar (or other) issues with the RRR009 or if perhaps I was just unlucky and got a lemon? ::disgust:: ::hmm:: ::shrug::
Attachments
PB130019.JPG
PB130013.JPG
PB130014.JPG
PB130020.JPG
We are all just prisoners here of our own device.
In the master's chamber they gather for the feast.
They stab it with their steely knives but they just can't kill the beast.
(Eagles: Hotel California)

~Q~
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

I was tempted by that one but they want too much for them (personal opinion).
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
TwoFlowersLuggage
Location: Stuck in traffic on a highway in Southern California

Post by TwoFlowersLuggage »

jerryd6818 wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 12:53 am I was tempted by that one but they want too much for them (personal opinion).
I agree - nice knives, but the expensive steel doesn't really do anything for me. I've honestly never been using a knife and said to myself "This 440 steel is just not good enough, I really wish this knife had D2 or VG10 steel."
"The Luggage had a straightforward way of dealing with things between it and its intended destination: it ignored them." -Terry Pratchett
Modern Slip Joints

No or sluggish snap into full open usually is from the bolsters being squeezed together too tight during assembly but a tiny amount of polishing abrasive dust in the joint will cause that in a tight knife. Keeping it oiled open then close it over and over. Fifty times will usually cure it. More than a hundred or a hundred fifty is not likely to loosen it noticeably more. It's not only a problem with inexpensive knives. I had to do that to a GEC that I bought off evil bay. In the end it's better than having the blade wobble looser bolsters cause.

Return to “Rough Rider Knife Forum”