Rough Riders!

For Collectors & Users of Rough Rider Brand Knives.
TwoFlowersLuggage
Location: Stuck in traffic on a highway in Southern California

Re: Rough Riders!

Post by TwoFlowersLuggage »

jerryd6818 wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 9:02 pm Five blade Rough Rider Mini-Trapper came today. Tooo many blades.

Any Bruce Lee fans? Reminds me of Mr. Han's hand... :lol:

HAN.jpg
"The Luggage had a straightforward way of dealing with things between it and its intended destination: it ignored them." -Terry Pratchett
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Just about like that Suitcase. I am so thankful I didn't pay full freight like the Case 5 blade Mini-Trapper that's currently on eBay.
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
treefarmer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by treefarmer »

10-4 ::tu:: An interesting piece but probably not a comfortable EDC, kinda' like some of the double barreled knives by RR, more to look at than to use. And since it's a mini-trapper you just couldn't live without it. ::poke::
Treefarmer

A GUN IN THE HAND IS BETTER THAN A COP ON THE PHONE.
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Philip, let's just say I was intrigued by it. It's more of a "try it before you buy it" for the Case 5 blade.
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
Old Folder
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Old Folder »

Two more "Rough Riders" today.
Very happy ::ds:: with:

Canoe /Artisanwood series.
IMG_0004 (5).JPG

Barlow / Classic Carbon.
IMG_0007 (3).JPG
It's always important to know what you don't know.
Dan
TwoFlowersLuggage

Very nice!!
"The Luggage had a straightforward way of dealing with things between it and its intended destination: it ignored them." -Terry Pratchett
Old Folder
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Old Folder »

TwoFlowersLuggage wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 8:20 pm Very nice!!
Thanks TFL.
The Artisanwood Canoe is exceptional.
Dan
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Rough Riders are amazing. They keep coming out with new patterns or new handles and every time they are as good or even better than the previously released knives. I remember when the pattern numbers were like "057" or "132" and now they are in 2000's, each number is either a different pattern or different handles.
You never know what is coming next but you can count on it being a very good knife regardless of price.
Thanks for showing us these 2 new arrivals Old Folder.
kj
TwoFlowersLuggage

Is the Rough Ryder Kamp King a new model? I don't recall previously seeing this one.

https://www.smkw.com/rough-ryder-kamp-king-knife
rr1987.jpg
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

R.R. has made a bone handle 4 blade Utility for years but the "Kamp King" shield might be new.
kj
TwoFlowersLuggage

Ahh - you are right - I forgot about this one: https://www.smkw.com/rough-rider-4-blad ... 76ffd9de23

::doh::
cody6268

Post by cody6268 »

TwoFlowersLuggage wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 4:16 am Is the Rough Ryder Kamp King a new model? I don't recall previously seeing this one.

https://www.smkw.com/rough-ryder-kamp-king-knife

rr1987.jpg
They have had a Camper pattern before, but not in that Imperial Kamp King type look.

Interesting they use the "Kamp King" name. You would have thought BTI/Taylor/S&W Still has the trademarks to that name. That being said, even as the owner of two Imperial Kamp Kings, I quite like the design. And a real hook-type can opener, not the "nobody's used that design in 70 years" tin opener copied from Case.
OLDE CUTLER
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by OLDE CUTLER »

I see that Rough Rider now has some folders available with shredded US currency set into clear acrylic for handle material. I have rehandled a couple of pocket knives with this material that is available as pen turning blanks. These are the first I have seen of them on SMKW website, they are called "Easy Money" in several different patterns.

https://www.smkw.com/rough-rider-canoe- ... ney-rr1890
"Sometimes even the blind chicken finds corn"
cody6268

Post by cody6268 »

Coal Miner series electrician in horn. Because of the horn, this was a shelf queen for a couple of years. I finally decided to start carrying it. Very good fit and finish. Does real work real well. Actually stripped a coaxial cable with it yesterday, when the darn end broke on it trying to crimp it (note to self--there are crimp on and screw on coaxial connectors); I had to replace that connector, and cut and re-strip the wire two or three times because I am clueless at this.

In my opinion, this is a real dressy take on a normally bland knife. As an ex-Scout myself, I love the "BE PREPARED" shield derived from the older Marble's version of this pattern.

Note the Marble's etch. Should say "Coal Miner". I know Marble's and RR are pretty much the same knives. And Marbles did have one and two blade variants of this pattern, but those seemed to have been retired; with the pattern being used for RRs. But, why a Marble's etch on a RR blade? Factory oops? All I know is that they made a lot of them, and Blue Ridge seemed to have distributed/sold those; and were seen through most of their dealers. The now-defunct Magic Mart where this knife came from bought their knives from BRK.
IMG_2020-02-08_16-40-52.jpeg
Louisville.Boy1947

Post by Louisville.Boy1947 »

cody6268........I have a RR that has a Coal Miner etch when viewed from one angle, then when tilted is shows a Marbles etch. For me that makes me think both come from the same producer/factory.
cody6268

Post by cody6268 »

Louisville.Boy1947 wrote: Mon Feb 10, 2020 2:43 am cody6268........I have a RR that has a Coal Miner etch when viewed from one angle, then when tilted is shows a Marbles etch. For me that makes me think both come from the same producer/factory.
I'd long suspected it, but a RR knife with a Marble's etching is proof they were both made under the same roof.
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

The "Trapper Series" came out about 7-8 years ago (i think it was that far back). These are some of the very best Rough Riders. If you ever get a chance to buy a new, never used one, i suggest you buy it right away. You will be very pleased & impressed.
This one is a small trapper, 3 1/2", very similar to the Remington R1178 (and R1173 which has a hole for lanyard).
Great knife at any price.
kj
Attachments
IMGP8387.JPG
IMGP8388.JPG
IMGP8389.JPG
IMGP8390.JPG
IMGP8391.JPG
IMGP8392.JPG
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

An exceptionally fine looking Trapper for sure.
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Thanks. And very sharp edges. I field dressed a deer with a full size trapper in this same series. This knife could do the same, with ease.
kj
Corso

Post by Corso »

I wish I'd bagged their jigged bone small copperhead and coke bottle models when I had the chance
dlr110
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by dlr110 »

Very nice!!! For a brand that mostly cost between $15 to $30 I'm really liking the RR's more and more. :D
David L Roberts, United States Navy Retired
Please visit my website: Woodburning Art by David at

https://www.wdbydavid.com/
Old Folder
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Old Folder »

dlr110 wrote: Sun Feb 23, 2020 9:27 pm Very nice!!! For a brand that mostly cost between $15 to $30 I'm really liking the RR's more and more. :D

I totally agree Dave ::nod::
I wish RR would bring back some of the oldies like kootenay joe has.
I"m a rather late bloomer on RR, only been collecting some for 2-3 years now. ::dang::
Dan
dlr110
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by dlr110 »

I've collected enough now that I needed to have a display shelf just for Rough Ryders.
I love the Barlow style knife and someday I hope to have a wall display box full of
different RR Barlows.
IMG_20200224_073124.jpg

kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

David, what a GREAT display ! They are in a glass cabinet so no need to dust and the mirror at the back allows you to see both sides of the knives.
One of the most attractive knife displays i have seen.
kj
dlr110
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by dlr110 »

kootenay joe wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 3:29 pm David, what a GREAT display ! They are in a glass cabinet so no need to dust and the mirror at the back allows you to see both sides of the knives.
One of the most attractive knife displays i have seen.
kj
Thank you Sir, I'm kind of proud of all my displays. I have a couple of g'kids that come over and just stare into the cabinets with big eyes like they were looking at treasures at a museum. When I show them the knives I have in my antique jewelers cabinet there is something very mysterious about them because they are hidden in those little drawers. Makes me laugh every time.

Return to “Rough Rider Knife Forum”