Rough Riders!

For Collectors & Users of Rough Rider Brand Knives.
kootenay joe

Re: Rough Riders!

Post by kootenay joe »

TFL, when i posted "greatest range" i was not meaning availability. I mean the vast number of different patterns RR has made since they began in about 2006 (?). I have about 500 RR's because i kept seeing a new pattern and needed to check it out.
To my surprise, i get as much pleasure from receiving & playing with a new Rough Rider as i do from a new GEC costing 10x as much. I am not saying the knives are equal. It is my sense of joy that is equivalent and this surprises me.
kj
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

jerryd6818 wrote:
1967redrider wrote:
jerryd6818 wrote:I ordered a Ladies Leg last night. I've been looking at them for several years but never with enough interest to jump on one. I guess the mid-winter blahs and the $8.67 shipped price tag made me do it. :lol: It's 3-1/8" closed and I'm kind of fond of that 3" to 3-3/8" size. Marked as shipped first thing this morning, it's coming from Michigan so it should be here this week along with another knife I have on order from a different source.
Jerry, did you do any cap lifting with this knife? Just wondering if it held up. Thanks!

- John
Wow! you really went back for that one. I did not do any cap lifting with the knife. There hasn't been anything in the house that had a cap to be lifted for a good long time.
Thanks, Jerry. I've always thought the cap lifting design of this pattern to be cool but haven't actually bought one to try. I guess the heel is the part that bites into the cap, wondered how durable they really were. Guess I need to find out for myself. ::nod::
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

kootenay joe wrote:TFL, when i posted "greatest range" i was not meaning availability. I mean the vast number of different patterns RR has made since they began in about 2006 (?). I have about 500 RR's because i kept seeing a new pattern and needed to check it out.
To my surprise, i get as much pleasure from receiving & playing with a new Rough Rider as i do from a new GEC costing 10x as much. I am not saying the knives are equal. It is my sense of joy that is equivalent and this surprises me.
kj
Receiving a new knife is always fun for me, as long as it comes as pictured/described. ::tu:: ::tu::
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
deltaboy

Post by deltaboy »

Got a Coal miner coming for my 53rd Birthday. ::tu::
Keep Near the Cross.
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

I have one of their carbon blade whittlers and like it a lot. Also have one of their stainless steel whittling buddies and again a great little knife. Along the same line I didn't like Japanese cars until I got one now the only kind I drive. I though Glock was stupid and ugly until I shot one and found it a great gun. When I was a little boy I didn't like girls and now I have had the same one for 50 years. Sometime you just don't know until you try.
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

deltaboy wrote:Got a Coal miner coming for my 53rd Birthday. ::tu::
If it's like this one, you're going to love it.
Attachments
Rough Rider Coal Miner Half-Hawk - Open Mark.JPG
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

I have the same RR "Coal Miner". It feels like a strongly built knife, one that could cut coal.
kj
deltaboy

Post by deltaboy »

jerryd6818 wrote:
deltaboy wrote:Got a Coal miner coming for my 53rd Birthday. ::tu::
If it's like this one, you're going to love it.

Yes that the one.
Keep Near the Cross.
Nev52

Post by Nev52 »

Just received this today. Rough Rider Cherry Bone Moose. SMKW for $9.99 You can't beat this knife and it has half stops. I have to say Rough Rider is a lot of knife for the money.
rough rider .JPG
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

What i find so amazing is that every blade in every Rough Rider knife i have is sharp and none have any blade play and all have good snap, both ways.
And i went 'overboard' so i have a few hundred of them. Not even one bad one. Amazing.
kj
Old Folder
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Old Folder »

Nice Black Cherry Bone Moose Nev52. ::nod::

KJ I do not have hundreds of them, however ALL my Rough Rider Knives I do have fall within your description.
It's always important to know what you don't know.
Dan
NapalmSloth

Post by NapalmSloth »

I ordered this Classic Carbon Canoe to put me over the free shipping limit at SMKW.
Over all, I’m pleased with it. It is a much bigger (heftier,) than my yellow Case Canoe. The blades sharpen very easy. The fit and finish are as good as to be expected on a $13 knife.
Can’t wait to really test it out.
Attachments
114ECD0F-5788-4336-B6A8-832733955068.jpeg
"Never allow someone to be your priority while allowing yourself to be their option." Mark Twain
Railsplitter
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Railsplitter »

I bought this Classic Carbon Whittler back in August and it's a pretty impressive knife. Blades came wicked sharp. The Wharncliffe blade is a beast and the split backspring design is well executed.
IMG_4315.JPG
IMG_4313.JPG
IMG_4314.JPG
Rick T.

"My knife money maketh itself wings!" mb>

Proud member of the Buck Collectors Club Inc.
Dinadan
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Dinadan »

Nev52 wrote:Just received this today. Rough Rider Cherry Bone Moose. SMKW for $9.99 You can't beat this knife and it has half stops. I have to say Rough Rider is a lot of knife for the money.
Nice looking knife, Nev. I agree that RR is a lot of knife for the money.

I like that yellow handle Canoe, NapalmSloth: and the yellow handle Whittler, Railsplitter!
Mel
NapalmSloth

Post by NapalmSloth »

Railsplitter wrote:I bought this Classic Carbon Whittler back in August and it's a pretty impressive knife. Blades came wicked sharp. The Wharncliffe blade is a beast and the split backspring design is well executed.
IMG_4315.JPG
IMG_4313.JPG
IMG_4314.JPG
I gotta get one of those. For the price, I don’t have an excuse no to.
"Never allow someone to be your priority while allowing yourself to be their option." Mark Twain
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

I do not understand this statement: "The fit and finish are as good as to be expected on a $13 knife."
My expectations of a $13 knife are very low, bad fit and poor finish but your RR canoe looks to have very good fit and finish. I think your RR Canoe looks far better than $13 worth of goods.
kj
NapalmSloth

Post by NapalmSloth »

kootenay joe wrote:I do not understand this statement: "The fit and finish are as good as to be expected on a $13 knife."
My expectations of a $13 knife are very low, bad fit and poor finish but your RR canoe looks to have very good fit and finish. I think your RR Canoe looks far better than $13 worth of goods.
kj
When you look closely, there are a few gaps between the scales and the brass liners. Also, on the brass liners, there are burrs that need to be sanded down. But I expect these issues on a $13 dollar knife.
That said, the knife feels solid, the blades are sharp and beefy, im very happy with it.
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

I have a few hundred RR knives and none have any roughness on liner edges. However you are not the only one to have posted similar issues with RR knives. I wonder if some sellers have what are RR 'seconds' ? if seconds even exist ?
All of my RR's are internet purchased so not hand selected so it is very odd that i have not received a few 'rough' ones.
kj
NapalmSloth

Post by NapalmSloth »

I’m not worried about it. I plan on smoothing out those edges myself. It’ll give me more experience in working on knives.
deltaboy

Post by deltaboy »

I got a few more Stockman's and a Coal miner Jack. I am impressed with the numerous patterns and quality.
Keep Near the Cross.
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Here is my just arrived new Rough Rider # 1660, a "Black Cherry Bone" lockback canoe, 3 5/8" closed. The master blade has an unusual profile, similar to a spear point but with a longer taper to the point and locks open with a top lock. In hand, my forefinger wraps around the canoe bolster so i do not feel the closed secondary because it is not pressing into the palm of my hand. The secondary blade has a half stop.
The fit is tight throughout and the blade action is perfect. Blades are very sharp, sharper than either of the 2 GEC knives i also just picked up.
This knife is a total home run winner.
kj
Attachments
IMGP5908.JPG
IMGP5909.JPG
IMGP5910.JPG
Nev52

Post by Nev52 »

coal miner.JPG
Picked this up last week. Rough Rider calls this a Coal Miner. I have a Case sod Buster almost the same. The Rough Rider has a liner lock. I have to say the Rough Rider is a nice knife. As soon as the weather brakes I will put it to work and see how it does. I said this before Rough Rider is a lot of knife for the money.
Doc B

Post by Doc B »

Been carrying this Tobacco Road RR canoe, this last week. Very sharp. Has a tobacco leaf etched in the bone and 58 copper pins (29 per side), inset in to the bone. A very good looking and feeling knife, in my opinion.
IMG_1144.jpg
Heretical Refurb / Mods of cheap old folders, since late 2018
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Hey Doc, that RR Canoe is a BEAUTY !! 3 5/8" closed ? i need to get one to pair with my "Black Cherry Bone" lock back canoe.
kj
Doc B

Post by Doc B »

kootenay joe wrote:Hey Doc, that RR Canoe is a BEAUTY !! 3 5/8" closed ? i need to get one to pair with my "Black Cherry Bone" lock back canoe.
kj
Sorry...was out for the weekend. Yep, on the 3 5/8. I liked it so much, picked up a couple extra, to gift.
Heretical Refurb / Mods of cheap old folders, since late 2018

Return to “Rough Rider Knife Forum”