High Quality Chinese

A place to discuss & share pictures of knives made in China.
Sut Tatersaul

Re: High Quality Chinese

Post by Sut Tatersaul »

Here are a few more high quality Chinese knives taken two months later. It pains me to say it, but The quality is right up there with the first few that I pictured, a couple more are even fancier, and are of even higher quality of workmanship. Quite a bargain for the price paid, and even free shipping. It really points out what the Chinese can, and are, doing, also what some of our shameless knife makers in this country are selling to us under their own brand names. I am afraid the "shenanigns" being pulled on us American knife collectors by some of our USA makers, will all come home to roost, on their front porches, down the road, later. The sad part of this situation is, It will hit the collector, as well as the shameless USA makers. We will just wait, and see. Pardon the rant, and thanks for sharing.
Sut Tatersaul
Attachments
DSC01810.JPG
DSC01813.JPG
It's Mind Over Matter, If You Don't Mind, It Don't Matter
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

vikingdog wrote:I'm very happy with the Sanrenmu knives I bought from Gearbest.com, especially the Land 910. I'm glad I bought two of them, the best knife for the money I've ever bought. They took three weeks to arrive.
Mike, you're a bad influence. I had to go to Gearbest and get one of those Land 910's, all because of you. :mrgreen: $13.99, they must be trying to get rid of the black ones.
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
vikingdog

Post by vikingdog »

So Jerry how do you like it? I've been carrying my every day for about 6 months. I love it.
Attachments
IMG_4846.JPG
"Progress might have been all right once, but it has gone on too long." Ogden Nash

My traditional Nordic knife blog: http://nordiskaknivar.wordpress.com/

Mike
americanedgetech

Post by americanedgetech »

I completely agree w/ the love for these better quality Chinese knives.
There are three schools of thought about them.
1) Thieving, lying, fishturds...
2) Who cares. They're not made in America.
3) Love em.

Every classic knife pattern was copied from someone else. Just a fact but an accepted fact. Modern knives are going to be no different in 50 years. People see an idea, and modify it to suit the markets demand, and that is the bottom line.

Now China made knives come in all grades just like American made knives. You can buy "gas station" knives, ebay knives, or mail order knives. It all comes down to how educated the consumer is, and what they expect, need, and accept.

I bought those gas station knives for most of my life. A few months ago I got a Gerber FAST draw, and that started my search for better knives. Ebay... I bought all the wrong things, AliBaba... I found Ganzo, and Sarenmu. I couldn't wait to shout it from the trees, and then I found all the hate... The reasons for hate sound real but it's not really a solid argument in most cases. It is based more on feelings than the reality of business, and global economy.

So I figure I would avoid the hate, and see what the nay sayers had to offer... 3-4-5-6-7-8-9 hundred dollars for a KNIFE???
3-4-5-6-7-8-9-10 grand for a KNIFE??? WHAT???

I have found my niche in vintage knifes. Mint condition is great but I will accept less.
For new knives I buy the better Chinese brands like Rough Rider, Ganzo, and Sarenmu.

I bought a couple new Imperials thinking they were US made... Gerber... Spyderco... Camillus, all made in China, and not as well as the REAL Chinese brands.
I sure don't get everything but I get value for the dollar, and I understand selling something to someone for a fair price to see them happy.

A decent knife for 20 bucks? Yep! Is a $700.00 knife any better? I'll never know. ::td::
Ken Mc.

WTB Kershaw 2120 MACHO Lockback Parts knife
I need a pile side scale. THX!
WAYNED
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by WAYNED »

BERRY WELL SAID GRASSHOPPER...KUNFU AGREE MUCH WITH WHAT YOU SAY.
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

vikingdog wrote:So Jerry how do you like it? I've been carrying my every day for about 6 months. I love it.
Dog, it really did nothing for me. I was very blasé about it but one of my buddy's instantly took a liking to it. Said it just felt "right" in his hand, so I gave it to him. In the end it found a good home, just not my home.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

I recently bought a Real Steel G3 "Puukko" with 'duplex' grind for $75. I have posted a picture of it here on AAPK but cant' find it to link to.
My impression ? incredibly well made precision knife, easily worth $75 especially when a full size Sebenza is $450 +.
Does anyone have experience with "WE" knives or "Reate" knives ? Both of these are said to be small companies striving to make the best possible folding knife. Most are in the $200- $450 range but a few are as high as $900.
I don't at this time see how a knife could be that much better than my $75 Real Steel G3 but i would like to get one just to see what the excitement is about. Difficulty is: choosing on line from the large number of patterns/models available. Would be easier to choose in person after handling. Next best is reading what others who do own one have to say, so please post if you have a WE or Reate.
kj
vikingdog

Post by vikingdog »

jerryd6818 wrote: Dog, it really did nothing for me. I was very blasé about it but one of my buddy's instantly took a liking to it. Said it just felt "right" in his hand, so I gave it to him. In the end it found a good home, just not my home.
Well, at least it didn't cost too much to find out.
"Progress might have been all right once, but it has gone on too long." Ogden Nash

My traditional Nordic knife blog: http://nordiskaknivar.wordpress.com/

Mike
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

vikingdog wrote:
jerryd6818 wrote: Dog, it really did nothing for me. I was very blasé about it but one of my buddy's instantly took a liking to it. Said it just felt "right" in his hand, so I gave it to him. In the end it found a good home, just not my home.
Well, at least it didn't cost too much to find out.
Roger that. ::tu::
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
sam eib

Post by sam eib »

The 707 and 7211 are my favorite Ganzo's, excuse me if I already posted this. I'm killing a little time waiting on someone.
Sut Tatersaul

Post by Sut Tatersaul »

I started following this thread in May, 2017 when I became a member of this forum, and read the posts back to it's start. I finally decided to buy a few "High Quality" Chinese knives to see if the interest in them was warranted, and judge their quality. Well, their delivery was fast, and,their quality was great, and I was favorably impressed. I sung their praises on this thread a couple of times. Now, move forward a few months, and their delivery has started to take longer, and longer, and the last two, were never delivered. Those two knives in particular, I bought, and paid for, one, in July, and one in August, have never been delivered. I have Contacted the seller," Sashastore" over ten times each, through Flea-Bay & Pay-Pal, about those two knives, and have heard different excuses each time, The seller now claims, after a long time, that he never did sell me one of those knives, and as my records have been mixed up, lost, over that long time, I'v just lost the money, and time spent for that one. On general principles, and the great amount of time spent, in these transactions, I have requested, that the seller deliver the other "lost" knife, instead of their other option, a refund. As Flea-Bay, and Pay-Pal always supports large sellers, they are of no help, making a big seller live up to their obligations. Now after around five months of a "Chinese seller of High Quality Knives", using all of his tricks, and excuses, the appeal of "High Quality Chinese Knives" has lost a much of it's appeal. "Let a word to the wise be Sufficient". You can probably guess how many more of them that I'll buy.
Sut Tatersaul
sam eib

Post by sam eib »

Check out powercutlery.com, they have some nice Chinese knives at good prices and cheap shipping to boot!
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Sut, did you put in a claim with PP to get your money back ?
There is the occasional bad seller in every country. My experience with buying quite a few knives from a variety of Sellers in China has all been 100% positive.
kj
americanedgetech

Same here...
I feel for your frustration Sut but one bad apple, and all.
I use DH-Gate to place my orders to China because they are a clearing house that brokers the deal.
You pay DH Gate, and THEY pay the seller only after you notify them that you have received the item, and it is as described.
You literally can not lose.

If the alloted time for shipment lapses then DH refunds you 100%.

Well to add to the picture part I bought a Two Sun flipper a few weeks ago for 21.00 thru DH Gate. It came in 2.5 weeks, and it's a great ball bearing flipper with wonderful patterned aluminum handles.
The blade is 440c stainless, near razor sharp (it will shave), and the action is smooth as butter.

Now all of my pocket knives get gritty or slow actions on flippers/autos because I am working on docks, in rusty engine rooms, and in a machine shop/fiberglass shop all day every day.
Point is that the Two Sun must have either sealed bearings or shielded races in some manner. It has not gotten gritty or slow in the time I have carried it.
I'll have to make a pivot screw tool to open it up to know but I am impressed with this 21 dollar knife. I actually plan to sell these if I can set up a wholesale/bulk purchase account with them.
It's a nice knife for what it is.
Attachments
DSCN0301.JPG
DSCN0300.JPG
Ken Mc.

mrwatch

Post by mrwatch »

I seen one brand listed as having ceramic ball bearings. That may help in a dirty work area or in my case "pocket lint." ::facepalm::
americanedgetech

I'm not so sure that the material the bearing is made from would help.
Ceramic may out live bearing steel but grit in the races is still a blockage that the bearings either have to crush or push aside.

My thought is they are using a sealed bearing similar to these...
It would make for a faster assembly, easier machining, and less cost in the end as well as a consistently smooth action.

If you double click my images, you'll see all that crud in the pivot area but the action is just like the day I un-boxed it.
I'll have to open it up to see...
Attachments
41pB6iUGXhL._SX385_.jpg
41pB6iUGXhL._SX385_.jpg (17.77 KiB) Viewed 4890 times
Ken Mc.

kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

I am on a search for the "Best Value" in the Chinese tactical style folding knives.
My introduction to these knives came in 2008 with the gift of a SanRenMu 710 which looks a lot like a small Sebenza. It cost $10 and is simply an incredibly good knife in all regards. They are still being made as the 0710 and cost now is about $15, delivered.
More recently many more China made tactical style knives have shown in a wide range of prices, up to $900 for a carbon handle Reate.
Here are 3 knives in mid range for prices. I paid $60, $75 & $100 for these knives:
Real Steel T101 "Thor", 4.75" closed, 14C28N steel & G10 handles
Real Steel G3 "Puukko", 4.75" closed, 14C28N steel blade and 3Cr14N steel handles
WE 703F, 4.6" closed, D2 steel and G10 handles.

All 3 are fine precision made sharp knives that likely will out live their owners and still be fully functional.
But, how do they compare with the $10 SRM 710 ?. Blade steel is different. I know the SRM 710 blade holds it's shaving sharp edge a long time and then re-sharpens easily, in 5 minutes. There is not that much room for improvement here. The more expensive 3 might edge hold longer ? The 710 already scores highly on this. You don't really need longer edge holding than that provided by the 710.
I have not used these 3 'mid price' knives but all feel fine in hand and all function just as expected and zero blade play.
My impression is that for the price you get a lot of knife with these mid range price knives and if you like the looks of one go for it. You will not be disappointed.
But value wise the 710 is the winner by far. The cost is anywhere from 1/6th to 1/10th the price of the 'mid's' and the cutting ability, hand comfort are basically equivalent.
kj
Attachments
IMGP3130.JPG
IMGP3131.JPG
IMGP3132.JPG
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Here are another 2 knives this time 'upper end of Low priced' China knives. I paid $28 for each, shipped. Both are marked "LAND" which is a SanRenMu brand.
Land 9046, 12C27 steel Rc 58-59, G10 handle with hex wrench insert, 4.75" closed, 150 grams weight(5.3 ounces)
Land 9052, 12C27 steel Rc 58-59, G10 handle, 4.33" closed, 108 grams weight(3.8 ounces)

Again, both are fine knives that function exactly as you hope for. Blade grinds are exactly perfectly even(thanks Robot) and thin enough to be a great slicer, but still rigid and not at all flimsy. A solid blade.
Everything to Love, nothing to dislike and less than $30, delivered. Wow !
However SRM 710 is just as excellent and costs about half.
Basically, all of these knives i show are excellent. Price is not a factor in quality. But what speaks to you the most.
kj
Attachments
IMGP3133.JPG
americanedgetech

Loving the scales on that Real Steel!

It's a darn shame that the U.S. can not compete in the low cost knife market.
We have so many brilliant designers., access to everything the Chinese have, and a built in market right here at home. The sad part is I can afford to sell these Chinese knives because I can afford to buy them. Wholesale accounts are as easy to get as placing an order.
If I want to retail Spydee, Case, any of the Taylor brands, ect... I need a bank loan to establish an account, and I'm just one of THOUSANDS of retailers fighting to make a few pennies profit.

Well, while the Chinese are building their economy, infrastructure, and major cities supported by inexpensive export items... we can tout how superior our system is. Yep! I think we got them on that one! ::doh::

That's a great bunch of knives KJ. I hope more people catch on to the fact that China is a major player in the knife market, and they are keeping prices affordable for us. Especially in the work horse tactical market. I can afford to actually use their knives. ::tu::
Ken Mc.

kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

The belief that "Made in China" = low quality is now 10-20 years out of date. There are some 'junky' Chinese knives for sale because they produce a full range of quality from very low to very high. Why defies our logic is how can a knife be any good when it costs around $10 ? I think the answer is automation. What is done by hand in a USA knife manufacturing factory is done by laser controlled robotic machines. This allows for very precise work & a much greater volume of work than when done by human hands.
The upper end of China made production knives like the exquisite HanWei gent's style knives, or the Reate tactical style, might be 'Best of Group' worldwide at this point in time.
kj
americanedgetech

I agree with you absolutely!

Where I have an issue is that we can buy the machinery from China cheaper than we can make it here, to build quality knives that we will no longer have to import, and complain about.

It's actually cheaper to buy the machines, set up a facility, and run knives out the door than it is to hire 30 people to hand build knives in an old warehouse. The profit margin is higher, the quality is as high or better, and the return on investment is faster when you automate, and there are STILL plenty of jobs. Actually there are more good jobs available then there are people willing to work (but that is another topic)
The business model is proven, yet we as Americans stubbornly deny these facts. ::shrug::

I actually get a little miffed when folks defend the high cost of an American made knife that is actually no better than an import costing 1/10th as much. Mystery steel? Babies in chains hammering tang stamps? Handles made from toxic waste?
Excuses! Plain, and simple...
America made it's own problems, and the solutions are clear. Work as a Nation to produce the finest items available at a REASONABLE cost to the consumer.
It's either that OR continue to get rich, fat, and lazy all the while complaining about the other guy that is doing a better job.

Sorry if this sounds political because it is not meant in that spirit. Knives are just one of a billion examples of how the other guy has it right, and we as Americans try to deny this as fact.
Ken Mc.

WAYNED
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by WAYNED »

Well stated,Facts are facts.
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Here are 3 examples of nice Chinese knives.
HanWei Gent's knife with abalone inlay marked "Rock Creek"
Colt CT274 which basically is a SanRenMu 710 with blue bone inlays. Super nice EDC
HanWei "Citizen" knife, what every citizen needs.
kj
Attachments
IMGP3140.JPG
IMGP3141.JPG
IMGP3142.JPG
IMGP3143.JPG
IMGP3144.JPG
IMGP3145.JPG
IMGP3146.JPG
americanedgetech

Thank's WayneD,
I try to avoid the politics, and emotional investment that some have in this topic so I sort of egg shell my approach... to a point! :lol:

KJ, you have great taste in knives sir.
I do not mean where or whom, I mean the style of the knives you like. Utilitarian to a point but good looking knives to boot.

I own a few tactical style knives just to have them but they are not my favorites. I won't name the brands to avoid the issues. :roll:

The few Ganzo's that I have I love, the fewer Sanrenmu knives I like just as much. They are sort of "Classy Tactical".

The last one you posted... The HanWet "Citizen". It's on my list now. ::tu:: I have a thing for solid, short blades. ::nod:: The shape of the handles, and the blade just flow right. I like it!
Ken Mc.

Sut Tatersaul

Post by Sut Tatersaul »

Hi, All:
In the interest of keeping the folks of this forum informed. Today, I was partially awarded compensation, by E-Bay, for one of two knives that I bought and paid for, four months ago. One of the Knives I was beat out of, entirely, and the other I never received. I would like to tell the folks on this forum, and this thread, how Supremely satisfied that I am with one particular E-Bay seller, and his name, possibly helping other members, decide whether to do deal with E-Bay, PayPal, and a Chinese merchant that I'm compelled to leave unnamed. I understand that I should keep my discussions non political. Heaven knows, I wouldn't want to offend anyone that has "stuck it to me". Now I have $4.00 to show for being lied to a dozen or more times by a Chinese merchant, "playing stupid", while "laughing up his sleeve", my making many trips to the USPS, and spending hours on the phone trying to get my merchandise delivered, as promised, this all taking place over a four month period. One of the most severe types of pain seems to be the pain in the "behind" that comes from being made an "Ass", while failing to prove a point. Since this clever merchant is being protected by everyone politically concerned, I'll just have to drop the matter, and won't be able to warn anyone about his methods. I've been stopped "dead In My Tracks"

Sut Tatersaul

Return to “Chinese-made knives”