Chinese Marble

A place to discuss & share pictures of knives made in China.
Dinadan
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Re: Chinese Marble

Post by Dinadan »

jerryd6818 wrote:
TwoFlowersLuggage wrote:Mel - I'm pretty sure the Chinese knife factories are just like all the rest of the Chinese manufacturing plants in other industries - they are typically not owned by the brand - they are contract factories that will make for anyone with a set of specs. They might have some in-house designers and "stock" products that they can put anyone's logo on, or the customer might start with a stock design and ask for changes and tweaks, or the in-house designers might create entirely new products for a customer, or the customer might come to the factory with a complete set of specs and the factory just builds to those specs. All are possible and common in the industries I know about.

It is also not unusual for a successful contract manufacturer to eventually decide they have the chops to sell products under their own brand name. That's risky because now they are competing against their own customers, and there is a big difference in the cost of support between being a contract manufacturer and actually doing wholesale or retail sales.

It is really hard to tell what brands are just importers, which are designers & importers, and which actually own designs and the factories.

At the end of the day, I'm not sure it matters anymore. I think we just have to evaluate the products for what they are - regardless of how they were produced or who produced them.
As a consumer, the risk you run here is the Brand decides to switch vendors (for what ever reason) and the new vendor doesn't make the product as well as the old vendor. It's all a crap shoot.
I did not notice that this thread had been reactivated and that TFL had responded to something that I posted, albeit with a two year time lapse. Regarding the shift of vendors and varying product quality: I recall Sears Craftsman tools being the subject of exactly the same discussion back in the 1970s. One time you might get a tool made by a top quality maker, but next time the same tool could come from a distinctly inferior manufacturer.

It would be interesting to see what companies actually own the factories where their knives are made. I never thought much about that until I joined this forum. Now, it seem a bit odd that a brand with the recognition of Fightn' Rooster or Bulldog, or Rough Rider, can be created by making orders to overseas factories and good marketing. But! I felt pretty much the way about Craftsman when I learned that Sears really did not own a whole slew of factories making all the stuff they sold as Craftsman.
Mel
deltaboy

Post by deltaboy »

I got a new Marbles Stockman and it nice! ::tu::
Keep Near the Cross.
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Sharpnshinyknives »

Marbles knives are good. I love the cuttin horse they have. Sowbelly stockman’s are already my favorite, but a cuttin horse is the absolute best. I only see Marbles and Hen and Rooster making these lately.
Every Marbles knife I have owned was worth every penny I paid for it. But my favorites are all made in the USA. I am still collecting USA Marble’s slip joints if you know anyone who has any the don’t want any more.
Mark
SSk Mark “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.” Ronald Reagan
onehikes

Post by onehikes »

When Marbles went bankrupt in 2009 I ordered several knives like folding hunters and trappers that were China produced. I was surprised by the fit, finish, edge and price. Quality control was good. It would never replace US made Marbles, but I enjoy using them and not worrying about abusing them.
Butch53pig

Post by Butch53pig »

What do y'all think of the newer marbles mr109 swing guard, Case cheetah clone, is it safe/worth the $20? Appreciate all options. Thanks. Butch
Nev52

Post by Nev52 »

Cattle knife.JPG

Just got this Marble's Cattle Knife. Nice fit and finish. ::groove::
bighomer

Post by bighomer »

My latest Marbles , I reckon it makes a full set of this series. ::shrug::
20201102_165932.jpg
Attachments
20201102_175555.jpg
cudgee

Post by cudgee »

bighomer wrote: Tue Nov 03, 2020 12:03 am My latest Marbles , I reckon it makes a full set of this series. ::shrug::20201102_165932.jpg
Nice set. ::tu:: ::tu:: ::tu:: :D :D :D ::ds::
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Sharpnshinyknives »

I think the Chinese made Marbles are among the best value for your money. All very nice.
SSk Mark “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.” Ronald Reagan
bighomer

Post by bighomer »

Thanks fellers. ::tu:: ::handshake::
samb1955

Post by samb1955 »

Chinese kni es sure have come aways from what they used to be. Some are pretty pricey too!
cody6268

Post by cody6268 »

samb1955 wrote: Wed Nov 04, 2020 12:41 am Chinese kni es sure have come aways from what they used to be. Some are pretty pricey too!
Say what you will (and even I'm really critical of them), but I think Chinese knives now; are up to the point where they were with Japan in the 1980s. You've got some crap (Frost; a lot of store brands; thousands of unknowns), you've got great knives for the money (Sanremu, most import Kershaw and CRKT, Ganzo); and you've got very expensive high-end brands (AG Russell, Artisan, Kiser, etc.).
PigStikr

Post by PigStikr »

I have a couple of those Cattle knives that I got a few years back they are a nice value..don't think they are in production now
Never Doubt Your Dawg
bighomer

Post by bighomer »

PigStikr wrote: Thu Nov 05, 2020 1:43 pm I have a couple of those Cattle knives that I got a few years back they are a nice value..don't think they are in production now
Ole smokey has got some red jigged bone cattle knives on their wed site.
My newest Marbles, white smooth bone.
Attachments
20201217_135720.jpg
knife7knut

Post by knife7knut »

Thought I posted this before but didn't find it.Here is my one and only "Pacific Rim" Marbles;a large trapper that seems to be very nicely built.
Attachments
MarblesTrapper2016 001.jpg
MarblesTrapper2016 002.jpg
Adventure BEFORE Dementia!
edge213
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by edge213 »

Though I don't own any. I must say, these new Marbles have some of the best bonestag.
David
"Glowing like the metal on the edge of a knife" Meat Loaf
bighomer

Post by bighomer »

Right pretty imho.
Attachments
20210325_165030.jpg
20210325_164858.jpg
20210325_164758.jpg
20210325_161842.jpg
dlr110
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by dlr110 »

bighomer wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 10:16 pm Right pretty imho.
I agree with you BH, it looks like a very good EDC knife to me. Congrats! ::tu::
David R (United States Navy Retired)
Don't just count your many blessings, be the blessing others count on!
Visit my website: Woodburning Art by David https://www.wdbydavid.com/
Louisville.Boy1947

Post by Louisville.Boy1947 »

BigHomer, I have bought this same knife from SMKW and had to have it replaced due to how the nail-nicks lineup preventing the larger blade from being opened unless you open the front blade first. The replacement had the same problem but not as severe. I also purchased the 'red' cattlemans knife which is the same frame knife and a close relative having only different covers and shield that had the same problem. I hope you got one of the better knives without the nail-nick problem. Your are correct that your knife is a real attractive knife that has value far above their cost.
bighomer

Post by bighomer »

LB47 I guess I've been lucky. I've got a red cattle knife also. I tried to get close up photos to show the nail nicks. Interesting tidbit the new one has half stops
Attachments
20210325_200208.jpg
Louisville.Boy1947

Post by Louisville.Boy1947 »

bighomer wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 1:20 am LB47 I guess I've been lucky. I've got a red cattle knife also. I tried to get close up photos to show the nail nicks. Interesting tidbit the new one has half stops
It is a shame they did not carry the steer head shield over to the black and white stag bone knife. I favor the steer head shield over the bar shield. The SMKW website has reviews (on the red version) reporting nail nick problems and YouTube have reviews with the reported nail nick problem. Glad to see yours are problem free. ::tu::
bighomer

Post by bighomer »

I too would have like the steer head shield and steer blade etch, but it's still a cool knife I think. ::handshake::

Return to “Chinese-made knives”