Marbles Safety Folder

A place to discuss & share pictures of knives made in China.
Dinadan
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Marbles Safety Folder

Post by Dinadan »

Fellows, I have a monkey on my back . Every so often I just have to buy a cheap Chinese knife! I have always thought this pattern knife looked interesting, but not interesting enough to lay the the kind of money that the old USA made knives sell for. Anyway, when I just happened across this one on Ebay I decided to try one out.

This is the first knife I have owned with either a swing guard or a fold out blade guard. Both features work as expected with good fit and movement.

This is a big knife. First photo is a comparison with a Case Seahorse, which is no small knife itself. Closed, the Marbles is 6.25 inches in length, including the blade guard. Open it is 9.25 inches, with a 4.12 inch blade.
Marbles and Case
Marbles and Case
One feature which I like is that when the blade guard is closed it makes a very effective lock to keep the blade from closing. I never realized it would have that function. The blade guard is a bit annoying to the finger that grips it when the knife is in use. In that respect it is exactly like the way a proud sheepsfoot blade in a stockman knife feels.
Blade guard functions as a blade lock
Blade guard functions as a blade lock
Overall, the fit and finish of this knife is pretty nice, especially for the price. The blade came with a very sharp factory edge. It cuts fine, but I have not used it enough to have an opinion about the quality of the steel.
Closed it is 6.25 inches
Closed it is 6.25 inches
Open it is 9.25 inches
Open it is 9.25 inches
The walk and talk of the blade is excellent. Perfect, even. Because of the size of the blade that means that it snaps closed with ... authority. You do not want finger in the way when that blade closes. In that regard, there is a half stop. It works perfectly to stop the blade and allow me to reposition my fingers if needed.
Marbles
Marbles
I think I will use it for fishing for a while, to cut bait, and see how it holds up to moderate use. I have always thought that swing guards were a bit fragile, but since I never had a knife with one that was just a guess. Now I find out!
Mel
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Marbles Safety Folder

Post by Sharpnshinyknives »

Not too surprised that you appreciate the quality of Marbles. They do make some fine knives. I didn’t realize it had some of those features that you describe. Interesting. I kinda ignored this knife because it didn’t make sense to me, now it does. I bet you get some good use out of this knife.
Mark
SSk Mark “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.” Ronald Reagan
Modern Slip Joints

Post by Modern Slip Joints »

I also suckered for one of these from China. I bought it from SMKW for about $20. They had them with a couple of different side covers. I chose bone stag. It's clever but does not give me a significantly longer blade than a large Coke Bottle and the regular large folders are shorter when closed. I have Case 51050L large Coke Bottles with locks and swing guards that have about the same length blades. Also I have Winchester branded Jumbo trappers with longer blades and shorter closed length. One of the Winchesters is German and the other Blue Grass Cutlery, presumable made by Queen. Some of the eBay ads for Marbles Safety Folders claim manufacture by Queen. I remember very similar safety folders being in a gun shop's Cold Steel display. That might have been 25 to 35 years ago. As is often the case who actually made them is a good question.

While were on the topic of folding knives that have handles shorter than the blades, while in France in 1972 I bought two stag handled German made knives that have about 7 1/4" blades that are partially covered by their roughly 4 1/4" handles. They are intended to be optionally used as short knives. They came with leather sheaths. The two manufacturers used different blade locks. I used them camping but have mostly stored them. They are another type of clever knife that is interesting in a collection.
bighomer

Post by bighomer »

::welcome:: modern slip joints,we love pictures, good stuff Dinadan I've been tempted to get one of those. ::tu::
stagman
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by stagman »

Here is one that was made app. 1930's or so,, Gladstone, Michigan made...
I love the golden color the Stag turned,, as a lot of this pattern knives were really all dark stag bark.
The big three the way I at least sypher it for Webster Marble inventions was
Safety Axe,, Ideal knife,, Safety Folding knife...put old W.L. Marble's products
in the remote places on every continent on earth by 1930...but W.L. himself would tell ya straight
out that his compass & waterproof match box were his proudest and his
safe-open-fully.jpg
invention's
that were the most important to the American Sportsman !!!
Stag
http://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/stagman
Dinadan
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Dinadan »

I appreciate the comments, fellows.

Stagman, I agree that the stag on that old knife has a beautiful color. I had forgot about the match safes. I carried one of those religiously when I was young!
Attachments
Match safe
Match safe
Mel
knife7knut

Post by knife7knut »

Here's the only one I own:A Parker Cutlery Game Getter from the late 1970's or early 80's. Just realized the etch on the blade was a beaver caught in a trap.
Attachments
ParkerGameGetter 001.jpg
ParkerGameGetter 005.jpg
Adventure BEFORE Dementia!
Modern Slip Joints

Post by Modern Slip Joints »

Stagman,
That is one impressive knife! It has great stag and what I presume is carbon steel some how made through over 80 years still shinny!
Dinadan
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Dinadan »

knife7knut wrote:Here's the only one I own:A Parker Cutlery Game Getter from the late 1970's or early 80's. Just realized the etch on the blade was a beaver caught in a trap.
That is a nice knife, K7K. I like that etch, though it might offend some folks these days. Please do not take this the wrong way, but that is an otter, not a beaver!
Mel
knife7knut

Post by knife7knut »

Dinadan wrote:
knife7knut wrote:Here's the only one I own:A Parker Cutlery Game Getter from the late 1970's or early 80's. Just realized the etch on the blade was a beaver caught in a trap.
That is a nice knife, K7K. I like that etch, though it might offend some folks these days. Please do not take this the wrong way, but that is an otter, not a beaver!
None taken;thanks for the clarification. :oops:
Adventure BEFORE Dementia!

Return to “Chinese-made knives”