Valley Forge stockman

A place to discuss & share pictures of knives made in China.
Reverand
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Valley Forge stockman

Post by Reverand »

I was traveling Chattanooga TN this week and took a few minutes to stop in the Frost Cutlery store and browse through some knives. Normally I do not buy Chinese-made knives due to some bad experiences with them years ago.
But I wound up picking up this Valley Forge stockman for $10. I plan on giving it away as a Christmas gift so I don’t know how it will hold up, but it looks and feels good and solid, much better than most of the import knives that I looked at there. It feels a lot like handling a new Case.
After much handling and admiring it for several days, I plan on buying a couple more.
Attachments
E2324DA7-B8EC-431E-8B35-496F18A5630D.jpeg
D01A61B1-18A8-415D-9361-BB3344181B14.jpeg
Jesus is life.
Everything else is just a hobby.

~Reverand
cody6268

Re: Valley Forge stockman

Post by cody6268 »

Looks like a really nice knife. What's with Frost bringing back all these old, long defunct brands? I noticed in the SMKW catalog the other day, there was a Voos fixed blade. Because any trademarks or brand names are expired, and they can use the names without paying anyone?

I recently was given a Frost Mini Trapper-type knife, made in Pakistan. It felt surprisingly decent, a lot higher quality than most Frost I've had over the years, which usually broke (the locks especially) within a couple weeks.
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Valley Forge stockman

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Sadly that has been Jim Frost's modus operandi for years. Buy up honored old American brand names and trademarks, trot them off to foreign countries like China and Pakistan, and stamp them on various different knife patterns most of which do not even remotely resemble knives made by the original owner of the names. Neither the patterns, materials, aesthetics nor the quality. And you'll find the exact same knife stamped with different makers names.

In one sense I guess that's good because they're technically not counterfeits. At least not until some unscrupulous person tries to represent them as being originals. I haven't seen Frost try to pass them off as such. Personally I'll never buy one in any case as I'm averse to anything made by Chicom Inc.

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/

Return to “Chinese-made knives”