AG RUSSEL - WHARNCLIFFE deal

Whether we like them or loath them, Chinese manufactured knives have found their way into collections of all sorts across the entire globe. The intent of this forum is to offer a place where AAPK members can discuss the knives and not the politics.
Lansky1

AG RUSSEL - WHARNCLIFFE deal

Postby Lansky1 » Fri Apr 05, 2019 12:53 pm

I'm new to AG Russel knives ... I found this auction & had to share the joy for anyone who likes wharncliffe's... almost seems too good to be true ::shrug::

I ordered one (don't have it yet) ... will post a review when I get it: https://www.ebay.com/itm/173849650868?ul_noapp=true

Can anyone shed some light on this line of AG Russel chinese made knives ... I've read some of their knives are really solid, and some command much higher prices on eBay ... just not sure how this one fits into the AG Russel heirarchy of quality ...

aaaaaaaaa.JPG
pffffft that's not a knife ......... now THAT'S a knife !! Crocodile Dundee

John

doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: AG RUSSEL - WHARNCLIFFE deal

Postby doglegg » Fri Apr 05, 2019 1:18 pm

I look forward to you opinion of it. It looks good. ::tu::

jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Postby jerryd6818 » Fri Apr 05, 2019 2:17 pm

John, that's A.G.Russell's "Curved Regular Jack". A.G. brought that knife out about eight or nine years ago. Unless something's changed, it's 3-5/8" closed and at the time it sold for $60. Rick (Railsplitter) gave one away on the CollectorKnives Forum back in September of 2011 and I won it. It's a very nice knife (or at least the one I won was) with superb fit and finish. At the time, I had my nose way up in the air vis-a-vie Chinese knives and just couldn't get past the "China" stamped on the tang so I traded it off. I've regretted that decision ever since.
Attachments
AG Russell Curved Regular Jack - Traded Off.jpg
AG Russell Curved Regular Jack  Top.jpg
AG Russell in hand.jpg
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012

Lansky1

Postby Lansky1 » Fri Apr 05, 2019 2:43 pm

THanks Jerry for the intel ... looking forward to receiving it even more now ! ::tu::

John

jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Postby jerryd6818 » Fri Apr 05, 2019 2:56 pm

Shush. You're tempting me. I'm trying to get through the month without buying anything and all those positive comments aren't helping.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

--T.J. Murphy 2012

Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Postby Sharpnshinyknives » Fri Apr 05, 2019 3:51 pm

Lansky1 wrote:THanks Jerry for the intel ... looking forward to receiving it even more now ! ::tu::

John, I can vouch for A.G. Russell knives. I have a few, but not that one. All the Chinese made A.G. Russell knives are of very high quality. Unlike a lot of Chinese knives that sell for 10 dollars or less, these knives are built to a very high standard and you will not be disappointed. If you buy one from A.G.R and don’t like it for any reason, you can send it back. Not many offering that kind of guarantee these days.
SSk
SSk (Mark)
“As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.” Proverbs

kootenay joe
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Postby kootenay joe » Fri Apr 05, 2019 3:59 pm

Seller has already sold 34 of these at $25 each. The FB received on these knives is positive from buyers. Seller must have gotten a very good deal from AGR to buy remaining stock of these knives.
kj

Railsplitter
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Postby Railsplitter » Fri Apr 05, 2019 4:15 pm

I remember that knife, Jerry.

John, I think you will not only like that knife but there's a good chance you'll want more after you check it out. I've got an A.G. Russell 3 5/8" Gunstock in my pocket right now. I carry it because I like it but the fact that it was designed by a legend in the knife industry is also a motivating factor.

Thanks for posting that link, by the way. I didn't think I'd ever see one of these for sale anywhere. I can't make purchases from this company computer but for $30 shipped I'm gonna buy one when I get home if there are any left. Might get two.
Rick T.
My Uncle owns a Red Barchetta.

Lansky1

Postby Lansky1 » Fri Apr 05, 2019 9:43 pm

Thanks guys ! Appreciate the info on this AGR model and AGR in general ... will have to expand my horizons ::dang::

John

Quick Steel
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Postby Quick Steel » Fri Apr 05, 2019 10:19 pm

I just bought 2 of these. ::woot::
"Life is good if you don't weaken." AG Russell

TazmanTom18

Postby TazmanTom18 » Sat Apr 06, 2019 12:05 am

Me too... ::groove::

QTCut5
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Postby QTCut5 » Sat Apr 06, 2019 12:44 am

I grabbed two of these when they first showed up because I've owned this model in the past and I couldn't believe the incredibly low price. I thought it was too good to be true and surely there had to be a catch. I decided to take a chance, although at the very least, I was expecting to receive factory seconds; however, the knives I got do not have the tang notch customary on AGR seconds. One handle has a very light hairline pin crack and both blades have a slightly stiffer pull than I am accustomed to on AGR knives--Other than that, though, they appear to be perfectly fine. Very solid, sturdy, well made knives.

P4050051.JPG
P4050050.JPG
P4050046.JPG

They came in a cheap vinyl padded zipper pouch instead of an original box...but it's still a remarkably good deal, IMHO.

P4050055.JPG

~Q~
~Q~

jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Postby jerryd6818 » Sat Apr 06, 2019 3:36 am

I folded. ::facepalm:: At least I had the good sense to only order one (no offense intended to those who ordered more than one). And here I was, trying so hard to curtail my knife purchases in April. Now here I am, the biggest fool at last. "sigh"
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

--T.J. Murphy 2012

Railsplitter
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Postby Railsplitter » Sat Apr 06, 2019 1:22 pm

QTCut5 wrote:I grabbed two of these when they first showed up because I've owned this model in the past and I couldn't believe the incredibly low price. I thought it was too good to be true and surely there had to be a catch. I decided to take a chance, although at the very least, I was expecting to receive factory seconds; however, the knives I got do not have the tang notch customary on AGR seconds. One handle has a very light hairline pin crack and both blades have a slightly stiffer pull than I am accustomed to on AGR knives--Other than that, though, they appear to be perfectly fine. Very solid, sturdy, well made knives.

P4050051.JPGP4050050.JPGP4050046.JPG
They came in a cheap vinyl padded zipper pouch instead of an original box...but it's still a remarkably good deal, IMHO.

P4050055.JPG

~Q~

Thanks for the review ~Q~. I ordered one also and looking forward to receiving it. There was a Spear blade variant made too which I would have rather had but at this price I'm not going to be picky.

I keep planning to get a group picture of all my A.G. Russell knives but I keep getting held up waiting on another one to arrive. Someday, I'll get that group pic.
Rick T.

Railsplitter
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Postby Railsplitter » Sat Apr 06, 2019 4:15 pm

These are going fast. When I bought mine last night I bought the 34th or 35th one and now 50 have sold already. With only 6 left right now they'll probably be gone by the end of the day.
Rick T.

Return to “Chinese Factory Manufactured Knives”