Coghlan's Hobo

A place to discuss & share pictures of knives made in China.
cody6268

Coghlan's Hobo

Post by cody6268 »

There are a lot of Chinese knives I've bought over the years, and could care less about. A big exception is the Coghlan's Hobo; or Camper's Knife as they officially called it. They were always inexpensive, and my folks bought me one not long after I joined the Scouts. It was quite often, my main Scout knife (ironically, Dad's was also a Hobo, one of those Mitsoboshi monstrosities). Later one, it made its way into my lunchbox during the time I was taking classes at the local community college (plastic utensils suck; well except for the KFC spork); then finally, my mess kit. That particular one is in my camping gear at a friend's house; with the rest of my mess kit (Esbit stove, fuel tablets, spork, cook pot, and the Camper's Knife). It was far from junk, and has served me well. Can't recall using the openers, but they are a bit small. I always have an SAK on me, and I'm adding a couple P-38s to my mess kit when I can get to it. It is definitely worth all of the $4.79 (about $5 with sales tax) it cost.

This is an NIB example I mostly bought for the collection. The chain, Magic Mart, was going out of business in 2018 after more than 100 years (despite the stores, in my opinion, always being busy, it was apparently not making enough money to the current generation of Ammars), more than 40 of those as Magic Mart, and for many years, my folks bought basically everything from either Ammar's or Magic Mart department stores; including many early knives in my collection, and my first Rough Riders. I wanted to have a knife with their price tag, and the Case Mini Trapper I'd bought at the time was destined to be a user.
KIMG0871.JPG

Return to “Chinese-made knives”