For those in the know ... what's the BEST (cheap) Chinese import

A place to discuss & share pictures of knives made in China.
Lansky1

For those in the know ... what's the BEST (cheap) Chinese import

Post by Lansky1 »

I've had a couple RR's - one was a flop, the other exceeded expectations. There's alot to chose from in the < $25 import market. I'm just curious if RR is at the top of the heap, or if I should be looking at some other brand, that might be a notch above RR (honestly, my biggest pet peeve with RR is the match-strike nail nicks - never liked that feature they seem to use nearly all the time). Thanks ::tu::
pffffft that's not a knife ......... now THAT'S a knife !! Crocodile Dundee

John
Railsplitter
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: For those in the know ... what's the BEST (cheap) Chinese import

Post by Railsplitter »

I'm not sure about the "BEST" cheap Chinese import but I have a couple of China made Buck knives that are very good. I have a Nobleman (liner lock with a pocket clip) and a Graduate (liner lock without a pocket clip). Both impress me for the price.

I also used to have a Buck 389 Canoe that was very good. I gifted it to someone because I thought they would enjoy a good quality knife.
Rick T.

"My knife money maketh itself wings!" mb>

Proud member of the Buck Collectors Club Inc.
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

The ones that float to the top for me (in no particular order) are Rough Rider, Klaas (I only have one), Ganzo, Kershaw imports, Marbles and Colt.
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

In the last 2-3 years Rough Rider has brought out many new patterns and the workmanship is reliably top notch. I have never received an RR that had an 'issue', which really is amazing.
For the more tactical style there now are many high quality Chinese brands, but for the sub $25 knives, SanRenMu are exceptionally fine, with very sharp blades that edge hold much longer than i ever expected.
kj
cody6268

Post by cody6268 »

Ganzo and Sanremu are pretty good. I've been buying the $15 Southwire folders from Lowe's, and am pretty impressed.

On another note, I find it funny Rough Riders are actually CHEAPER than Taylor Schrades, but 1000 times better. Personally, I try to focus on American and European makes, but if I'm buying a knife, either as a beater, or to try out a new pattern, it's almost always a Rough Rider.
samb1955

Post by samb1955 »

I have quite a few Ganzos and haven't got a bad one yet.
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

The Rough Rider "Trapper Series" came out a few years ago and are incredibly well made, price independant. I used one of these to fully field dress a deer and it was the slickest, easiest of the 50 or so i have done. Prior to this i had often used a custom knife from Jerry Halfrich or Rick Menefee, both of whom are known for their sharp blades, yet the RR made all cuts with greater ease. If this was not my own experience i would not have believed it.
kj
Attachments
lucky june 7 2019 010.jpg
lucky june 7 2019 011.jpg
lucky june 7 2019 012.jpg
lucky june 7 2019 013.jpg
Caseman601225

Post by Caseman601225 »

I can vouch for the Sanrenmu knives. I had a pretty much blatant Sebenza copy, I think it was the 710 or something close, that was very nice and got a lot of work use before it vanished. I think it was under $20.
cudgee

Post by cudgee »

Knives are hard to get over here, but i have some Rough Rider's, a Buck canoe and an A.G.Russel, all made in China and all excellent knives.
cudgee

Post by cudgee »

kootenay joe wrote:The Rough Rider "Trapper Series" came out a few years ago and are incredibly well made, price independant. I used one of these to fully field dress a deer and it was the slickest, easiest of the 50 or so i have done. Prior to this i had often used a custom knife from Jerry Halfrich or Rick Menefee, both of whom are known for their sharp blades, yet the RR made all cuts with greater ease. If this was not my own experience i would not have believed it.
kj
They are really nice knives. ::tu::
TwoFlowersLuggage
Location: Stuck in traffic on a highway in Southern California

Post by TwoFlowersLuggage »

I think it depends on whether we're talking about traditional or modern knives. There are a lot of good modern knives coming from China, and they are getting better (and more expensive) all the time. The steel is getting better, the pivots are getting better and the locks are getting better. There's pretty much a design & price range for everyone. As others have said, the Ganzo/Firebirds are a great value, and some of the Sanrenmu. I have had a couple of out of the box QC failures on some very cheap Sanrenmu. One of them literally fell apart as I took it out of the box, and another one was so stiff that it would barely deploy. But, these were $10 knives - and I have had many others that were just fine out of the box.

In traditional, RR is certainly a reliable buy. I have had a couple with poor snap out of the box, but once I cleaned the gunk out of the pivots, they were much better. My biggest complaint with RR is that their handle jigging & dye colors are not quite to my taste. That's more of a personal issue - the quality is good, this is just an area where I think Case does a better job in making a beautiful knife (albeit at a considerably higher price!)
"The Luggage had a straightforward way of dealing with things between it and its intended destination: it ignored them." -Terry Pratchett
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Suitcase????? Where the heck have you been hiding? Good to "see" ya. I missed ya dude.

As far as I'm concerned, Suitcase hit the nail on the head with both of those brands.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
TwoFlowersLuggage

Yeah - life sorta got complicated and when all my knives went into storage, I just stepped away. Last weekend I pulled the boxes out of storage, and sure enough, I decided to see what you lot have been up to. Back when I joined AAPK, I tried to warn you guys that this is sort of how I roll - I'm hot & heavy for a time, then I'll just sneak off into the ether, sometimes for a while, sometimes forever. I'm know I'm not a very good friend - but I'm entertaining in my own (demented) way...
"The Luggage had a straightforward way of dealing with things between it and its intended destination: it ignored them." -Terry Pratchett
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Yea, well. Of the thousands that have joined AAPK, only a handful have stuck with it so don't feel bad. Go when you must, you'll always be welcome back.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
TripleF
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by TripleF »

Best and cheap?
Very easy....Rough Rider. Have reviewed them and they are!!
SCOTT
HOME OF THE BRAVE! (not the scarety cats)

Colonial Knife Company History ebook:
https://gumroad.com/l/ZLDb
Old Folder
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Old Folder »

TwoFlowersLuggage wrote:Yeah - life sorta got complicated and when all my knives went into storage, I just stepped away. Last weekend I pulled the boxes out of storage, and sure enough, I decided to see what you lot have been up to. Back when I joined AAPK, I tried to warn you guys that this is sort of how I roll - I'm hot & heavy for a time, then I'll just sneak off into the ether, sometimes for a while, sometimes forever. I'm know I'm not a very good friend - but I'm entertaining in my own (demented) way...
Welcome back (again) TFL
I thought that perhaps you were caught "Picking" the wrong locks. ::poke::
It's always important to know what you don't know.
Dan
TwoFlowersLuggage

Nope - I reached a plateau in my lock picking hobby that was just past "rank beginner" and I got very frustrated and had to set it aside. I might go back to it one of these days and start back at the beginning. I could open almost any Masterlock keyed padlock and most of the common Schlage & Keyset house locks (and their clones), but when I stepped up to locks with anti-pick security pins, I hit a brick wall. I watched HOURS of videos and spent HOURS practicing, but I only got a couple of locks open.

So, the takeaway from this lesson is: don't use a Masterlock to secure anything you really care about. If *I* can open a Masterlock, then they are worthless!
2019-09-24_135540.png
OLDE CUTLER
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by OLDE CUTLER »

Yes, I would have to agree with Rough Rider. I have only a few, but they are very good quality. I must add that I have only bought these at gunshows where I can visually inspect in hand first before buying. But now I would probably feel OK with ordering them and getting a quality product.
"Sometimes even the blind chicken finds corn"
Old Folder
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Old Folder »

I my opinion, Rough Rider is the BEST Chinese import. However, I would not call them (cheap) I prefer: (less expensive).
IMG_0002 40.JPG
Columbia, Jinlang Company makes some fine Chinese cutlery also.
IMG_0004 (2) 16.JPG
IMG_0005 (2) 17.JPG
IMG_0003 (2) 19.JPG
IMG_0001 (2) 24.JPG
Dan
TwoFlowersLuggage

OF - I was eyeing one of the RR basketweave knives just yesterday. They look great!
RalphAlsip

Post by RalphAlsip »

"In the know" does not describe me regarding Chinese made knives, but I do have one that I like. This is the last knife that AG Russell designed to have manufactured in China. It sells for $100. I bought it as a was to remember Mr. Russell and have ended up carrying it quite a lot because it is very functional. It is small, but still substantial and crazy sharp. I especially appreciate the design where the bolster covers the sharp edge of the tang. Overall the knife feels very smooth from all angles when closed in the pocket.

https://agrussell.com/knife/A-G-Russell ... AGLB-C44CF
Attachments
AG Russell Small Lockback #3.jpg
AG Russell Small Lockback #4.jpg
AG Russell Small Lockback #5.jpg
AG Russell Small Lockback #1.jpg
Old Folder
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Old Folder »

Nice Russell Skinner Ralph. ::nod::
I also like the visually striking carbon fiber handle scales listed on their web site you posted.
Dan
Old Folder
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Old Folder »

TwoFlowersLuggage wrote:OF - I was eyeing one of the RR basketweave knives just yesterday. They look great!
It's a beautiful knife. A lot of hand workmanship went into it I'm sure.
Dan
Railsplitter
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Railsplitter »

RalphAlsip wrote:"In the know" does not describe me regarding Chinese made knives, but I do have one that I like. This is the last knife that AG Russell designed to have manufactured in China. It sells for $100. I bought it as a was to remember Mr. Russell and have ended up carrying it quite a lot because it is very functional. It is small, but still substantial and crazy sharp. I especially appreciate the design where the bolster covers the sharp edge of the tang. Overall the knife feels very smooth from all angles when closed in the pocket.

https://agrussell.com/knife/A-G-Russell ... AGLB-C44CF
That is a fine looking knife, Jerry. I've been eyeballing that one myself.

A.G. Russell would have been my recommendation too if I had not thought that John wanted to keep it < $25. A.G.'s knives are the first thing that comes to my mind when considering quality knives from China.

I currently own 9 of A.G.'s China knives and you just talked me into making it 10. Thanks for sharing your pics and thoughts. ::handshake::
Rick T.

"My knife money maketh itself wings!" mb>

Proud member of the Buck Collectors Club Inc.
mrwatch

Post by mrwatch »

TwoFlowersLuggage wrote:Nope - I reached a plateau in my lock picking hobby that was just past "rank beginner" and I got very frustrated and had to set it aside. I might go back to it one of these days and start back at the beginning. I could open almost any Masterlock keyed padlock and most of the common Schlage & Keyset house locks (and their clones), but when I stepped up to locks with anti-pick security pins, I hit a brick wall. I watched HOURS of videos and spent HOURS practicing, but I only got a couple of locks open.

So, the takeaway from this lesson is: don't use a Masterlock to secure anything you really care about. If *I* can open a Masterlock, then they are worthless!

2019-09-24_135540.png
In a former life I was a locksmith. The anti pick pins are are so to speak turned lower in the center or like a hand held exercise weight. So when you put the pressure on the barrel to align all the pins on the sheer line they form a gap instead. American brand padlocks are a good example. I know a man that rents mini storage units, has a big ole bolt cutter, if that doesn't work use type B entrance method for non paying renters. Most locks can be drilled on the sheer line with a purchased index tool. Locks keep the honest man honest, and just hopefully buy's time against the bag guy's.

Return to “Chinese-made knives”