Great Knives-Little Money

A place to discuss & share pictures of knives made in China.
Reverand
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Re: Great Knives-Little Money

Post by Reverand »

I have a couple of Rough Riders that my Dad gave me. They are good knives. I also have a few other Chinese-made knives that are users, just because they are cheap and I don't have to worry if I ruin one or lose one. Still, I want to avoid supporting China (which is difficult to do).

I simply cannot afford a new GEC, or even a new Case.
Thankfully there are still some American companies that manufacture inexpensive knives - "Bear and Son" is the first that comes to mind. I have had a small stockman of theirs for years that has been a great EDC. It will never be a collectible, but it has been a great and inexpensive user.
Somebody else name a few other new, inexpensive American cutlers, and help us poor folk support American, too!
Jesus is life.
Everything else is just a hobby.

~Reverand
geocash
Gold Tier
Gold Tier
Location: Southern Appalachian Mountains, outdoors preferably

Post by geocash »

To me, the values and beliefs and such that are connected to buying a knife made in China aren't much different from those involved in buying all the other stuff that we have to have at the cheapest price we can get. I completely agree with some of the reasons that I'm reading not to buy a knife made in China. But, I agree with other reasons to buy a knife made in China. It sure ain't simple. I am, so I'll just mention that I ordered a RR last night. For what reason(s), I can't say, because I don't really know, myself. Some of each, apparently. And I wanna see the knife.
geocash
bighomer

Post by bighomer »

I'll stay out of the politics except to say we live in a global economy whether we like it or not. I worked for a company that had a footprint on every continent, so my living and my pension is from everywhere. I understand what Dale is saying about Nam because I too was shot at, it's personal to us, but our WWII vets could say the same about German or Japan made products. I don't have near as many far east knives as Roland and will never have, but like a old crow I like pretty shiny things, and they fit that to my eye, at a price I don't mind paying. YMMV. ::handshake::
edge213
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by edge213 »

I have about 10 RRs out of approximately 600-700 knives. They are a good knife for the money, but to say they are the same or better quality than GEC is kind of crazy in my opinion.
Maybe I just haven't had as good of luck as others when it comes to acquiring RR.
David
"Glowing like the metal on the edge of a knife" Meat Loaf
deo-pa
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by deo-pa »

I hope those who have been burned by Rough Rider quality will also chime in.
When I posted above I'd totally forgotten that I indeed own a Rough Rider. Roughly four years ago on a whim I bought one of these baby sunfish, part of their Stoneworx series. It struck me as particularly attractive with its (simulated I assume) turquoise and abalone inlays and fluted bolsters. The handle craftsmanship was excellent but the blades were not well sharpened and the main blade was an absolute nail buster. Tough to open even with a pick. That definitely soured me on them.

I note on their website that this is their 25th year, so they certainly are not a fly-by-night knife maker. It's not surprising that, as Roland suggests, they are constantly getting better and better. Perhaps it's not far fetched to think that in another quarter century on eBay under "Vintage Pocketknives" there will be the kinds of listings I hate: "L@@K! - First Generation Rough Rider! - 50 Years Old! - Mint! - L@@K!"

Dennis
Attachments
Rough Rider-Stoneworx.jpg
Rough Rider-Stoneworx.jpg (20.46 KiB) Viewed 4522 times
carrmillus
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by carrmillus »

orvet wrote:Roland,
Whether or not you have lost it or are in the early stages of dementia, you are probably more capable of making that clinical diagnosis then ninety-nine percent of us in this forum! :lol:

I started writing this a few hours ago and got interrupted. My purpose in writing this by way of explanation to you, why I and other people may not interested in collecting Rough Rider knives. You seem to be wondering in your original post why people didn't collect them, this is my attempt to answer your question. I'm not attempting to convince you or anyone else to collect or not to collect Rough Riders or any other brand of pocketknives. I could really care less what knives people collect, apart from Schrade and Camillus. I'm not trying to encourage people to collect Schrade and Camillus because that means more competition for the rare pieces! :mrgreen:

As far as collecting a bunch of Rough Rider knives is concern, everyone is kind of on their own to collect whatever they want, and I don't hear a great deal push back to anyone for collecting a specific brand. There are certain things to consider choosing a brand, and one of those things is the potential for increase in value. I think that's what drives a lot of people to collect GEC knives.
For me the exciting part about collecting a brand is doing the historical research and the thrill of the hunt search for hard to find examples.

I don't collect GEC because there's no history and there is really no search it's just being in the right place at the right time money in your hand to buy one. I'm sure you have heard many people say the hunt is more fun than the actual finding.

For me, when it comes to collecting Rough Riders, there is no interest for me.
1 - There is no potential for increased value, or very little, even though this isn't a big incentive to me, I expect it is to some people.
2 - There is no history to discover and research. This is important to me. Sometimes the history of a company makes me a fan of their knives.
3- With RR there is no thrill of discovery after a long search to find an elusive pattern! All I need to do just pick up a catalog and order. ::yawn::

As far as a using knife goes RR, they may be great; I will take your word for it. I look at them kind of like I do Case knives, I don't collect Case but if I find one I like that I want to use I will buy it. I have two or three seahorse whittlers that I use. I have a couple other I like and use but I don't collect them. If Rough Rider made a unique pattern that I needed for a specific task I might consider it. Unfortunately, I think they probably do not have the best steel in them, certainly not better steel than in dozens of knives I already own, so why would I want one? If I just want to spend money on a knife, I will get a use knife that I like and that has some interesting history to it, not a cookie cutter copy of an old knife or a remake of an old design.

Basically I don't collect Rough Riders because I have absolutely no interest in them. I don't buy them for users because I don't really care for them and I am fortunate that at this point in my life price point doesn't have to be my only consideration. If that ever becomes a consideration I will probably just keep my old knives and not by any new ones, I actually have plenty to choose from. :)

The last reasons which leave me no desire to buy Rough Rider knives are political.
1 – The government of China subsidizes its manufacturing so that it can maximize its leverage on the world market, especially against the United States. This is not good for our country, not good for manufacturing in our country and not good for the workers of our country. The bottom line is the policies of the government of China work against the good of every person in American. And I don't care if some people disagree with me, that is my belief and my prerogative is American citizen to hold such a belief, at least this one small point in time.
2 – Another political reason I don't buy Rough Rider knives is because of their support for North Vietnam and the Vietcong. They were one of the major suppliers of arms and munitions to the VC in the NVA. When you have had steel shot at you, it does take away a little of your enthusiasm for buying steel from the same government that provided the steel that was shot at you.
3 – I don't like to support a government that has an active policy of persecuting Christians, which China does. I love the Chinese people, they are absolutely amazing! I don't like to see my Chinese Christian brothers and sisters persecuted and imprisoned for their beliefs and possibly used as prison labor in a factory that is making a product that I might purchase. I realize given the current economic entanglements that we have with China, this means that the only viable products for some items are from China. But I do have many viable options to Chinese pocketknives and I choose to exercise those options rather than by a Rough Rider or any other knife manufactured in the PRC. I have a number of very good knives made in Taiwan, the people in Taiwan are free they do not exist under an autocratic government. I have no problem buying knives made in Taiwan, in fact I find them usually a very good value or the money.

Roland, my Canadian friend; even though we only live a few hundred miles apart, there is a cultural divide that prevents either of us from fully understanding why the other thinks as he does. This is true on the issue of guns and no doubt other issues as well. This post is my way of explaining why I (and others?) feel at best ambivalent about collecting RR knives. Stay well my friend. ::handshake::
....100% agree, dale!!!!..... ::tu:: ::tu:: ::tu:: .........
Eye Brand Man

Post by Eye Brand Man »

orvet wrote:Roland,
Whether or not you have lost it or are in the early stages of dementia, you are probably more capable of making that clinical diagnosis then ninety-nine percent of us in this forum! :lol:

I started writing this a few hours ago and got interrupted. My purpose in writing this by way of explanation to you, why I and other people may not interested in collecting Rough Rider knives. You seem to be wondering in your original post why people didn't collect them, this is my attempt to answer your question. I'm not attempting to convince you or anyone else to collect or not to collect Rough Riders or any other brand of pocketknives. I could really care less what knives people collect, apart from Schrade and Camillus. I'm not trying to encourage people to collect Schrade and Camillus because that means more competition for the rare pieces! :mrgreen:

As far as collecting a bunch of Rough Rider knives is concern, everyone is kind of on their own to collect whatever they want, and I don't hear a great deal push back to anyone for collecting a specific brand. There are certain things to consider choosing a brand, and one of those things is the potential for increase in value. I think that's what drives a lot of people to collect GEC knives.
For me the exciting part about collecting a brand is doing the historical research and the thrill of the hunt search for hard to find examples.

I don't collect GEC because there's no history and there is really no search it's just being in the right place at the right time money in your hand to buy one. I'm sure you have heard many people say the hunt is more fun than the actual finding.

1 - There is no potential for increased value, or very little, even though this isn't a big incentive to me, I expect it is to some people.
2 - There is no history to discover and research. This is important to me. Sometimes the history of a company makes me a fan of their knives.
3- With RR there is no thrill of discovery after a long search to find an elusive pattern! All I need to do just pick up a catalog and order. ::yawn::

As far as a using knife goes RR, they may be great; I will take your word for it. I look at them kind of like I do Case knives, I don't collect Case but if I find one I like that I want to use I will buy it. I have two or three seahorse whittlers that I use. I have a couple other I like and use but I don't collect them. If Rough Rider made a unique pattern that I needed for a specific task I might consider it. Unfortunately, I think they probably do not have the best steel in them, certainly not better steel than in dozens of knives I already own, so why would I want one? If I just want to spend money on a knife, I will get a use knife that I like and that has some interesting history to it, not a cookie cutter copy of an old knife or a remake of an old design.

Basically I don't collect Rough Riders because I have absolutely no interest in them. I don't buy them for users because I don't really care for them and I am fortunate that at this point in my life price point doesn't have to be my only consideration. If that ever becomes a consideration I will probably just keep my old knives and not by any new ones, I actually have plenty to choose from. :)

The last reasons which leave me no desire to buy Rough Rider knives are political.
1 – The government of China subsidizes its manufacturing so that it can maximize its leverage on the world market, especially against the United States. This is not good for our country, not good for manufacturing in our country and not good for the workers of our country. The bottom line is the policies of the government of China work against the good of every person in American. And I don't care if some people disagree with me, that is my belief and my prerogative is American citizen to hold such a belief, at least this one small point in time.
2 – Another political reason I don't buy Rough Rider knives is because of their support for North Vietnam and the Vietcong. They were one of the major suppliers of arms and munitions to the VC in the NVA. When you have had steel shot at you, it does take away a little of your enthusiasm for buying steel from the same government that provided the steel that was shot at you.
3 – I don't like to support a government that has an active policy of persecuting Christians, which China does. I love the Chinese people, they are absolutely amazing! I don't like to see my Chinese Christian brothers and sisters persecuted and imprisoned for their beliefs and possibly used as prison labor in a factory that is making a product that I might purchase. I realize given the current economic entanglements that we have with China, this means that the only viable products for some items are from China. But I do have many viable options to Chinese pocketknives and I choose to exercise those options rather than by a Rough Rider or any other knife manufactured in the PRC. I have a number of very good knives made in Taiwan, the people in Taiwan are free they do not exist under an autocratic government. I have no problem buying knives made in Taiwan, in fact I find them usually a very good value or the money.

Roland, my Canadian friend; even though we only live a few hundred miles apart, there is a cultural divide that prevents either of us from fully understanding why the other thinks as he does. This is true on the issue of guns and no doubt other issues as well. This post is my way of explaining why I (and others?) feel at best ambivalent about collecting RR knives. Stay well my friend. ::handshake::
Extremely well said ::tu:: My thoughts exactly.
Eye Brand Collector
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

::tu:: Dale you said what I believe also, and better than I could have.

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

I collect knives because a well made knife in good condition gives me a good feeling. This is likely true for all of us here. I get the same good feeling from an RR knife as i do from my newest GEC. I keep buying more of both because i am rather addicted to knives.
I like vintage knives best because of the searching needed to find a good example and because of all the history of the knife manufacturers that is learned along the way. Ebay has been my main source for vintage knives and 10 or so years ago there were always many listed. Now 90%+ of the listings are for new knives made mostly in China and a good vintage USA folding knife is getting a bit rare.
I am not concerned by where a knife was made. I am concerned with quality of workmanship and quality of the steel used.
I agree it sounds 'crazy' to say many of my Rough Rider knives are as good as the GEC knives in both fit & finish and function. This is why i started this thread, to question my own judgement, not to discuss political differences between countries.
My assessment of RR knives went way up in Nov. of 2010 when i dressed out a whitetail with one of the RR "trapper Series" knives. The blade cut through everything with such ease, almost no force at all needed including amputating all 4 lower limbs which usually dulls the blade. It still shaved my arm hair after i was done. I never expected or had experienced such edge holding.
RR is a USA company, owned by Americans and with American employees so presumably with taxes it does add a little to the USA economy. The parts and manufacture of the knives is all Chinese.
Here are pictures from Nov. 2010 showing the deer and RR knife i used. Note that the secondary blade barely rises above the handle when closed so it is very comfortable in hand. How could i not be thoroughly pleased with this knife ?
kj
Attachments
customs 011.jpg
customs 002.jpg
customs 009.jpg
Doug51

Post by Doug51 »

I'm more of a user than a collector. Not a huge Rough Rider fan but I will buy one because I like the pattern mostly. This Rough Rider is why I'm not a huge fan. I just purchased this one. like everything about this knife except it's blade isn't centered when closed. It was a disappointment. Because otherwise it would have been perfect.
IMG_20190829_132730297.jpg
IMG_20190829_132856280.jpg
Attachments
IMG_20190829_132923467.jpg
Jody744
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Jody744 »

When I was a kid I bought Parker knives and Frost knives. Foreign made. Cheap. It’s what I liked and could afford. My tastes have changed, but I still have those knives. I have had American and German made knives I bought new that I wound up throwing away. In the trash. I think Rough Ryder has a place for those kinds of buyers. I have one, just like Doug posted above. I like it for what it is. Your mileage may vary
"I like Case, Queen, S & M, Fightn' Rooster and many more."
(quote stolen from one of Jody Brown's posts)
glennbad
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by glennbad »

I see that the quality of RR knives has increased over the years. I had a few of them a number of years back, and wasn't that happy with the performance of them at that time, but people seem to like them, and for the price, I guess you get a lot of knife for the money. They seem to be branching out and trying new patterns, so it's a good time to be a knife-nut. But to me, they are what they are. Regardless of all that, as the saying somewhat goes, there's a butt for every seat.

I personally won't buy or use them, for a couple of reasons. First, and it's a little political, while I still have the money and while American made knives are still available, I'll do my best to support American cutleries. We can certainly debate over quality vs. price, but there aren't a whole lot of products still made in the good ole USA. I'll just say this...if you live in this country, do your best to buy American, the job you save may be your own.

The other reason is simple...I have enough older knives of various make...USA, German, Sheffield that I consider to be high quality knives, even if they are old and beat up, and I don't see a $10 knife of any make pushing those out of my rotation.
woodwalker

Post by woodwalker »

To each is own. My grandpa didn't carry one. My dad didn't carry one. I've held a few of them and I can tell you I won't carry one. Just not my thing. I like cutlery with history. Lots of history. But that's just me and I feel others that like them should do as they wish. At least there knives and I like knives!! :)
Ivoryman

Post by Ivoryman »

"Quote Orvet", I started writing this a few hours ago and got interrupted. My purpose in writing this by way of explanation to you, why I and other people may not interested in collecting Rough Rider knives. You seem to be wondering in your original post why people didn't collect them, this is my attempt to answer your question. I'm not attempting to convince you or anyone else to collect or not to collect Rough Riders or any other brand of pocketknives. I could really care less what knives people collect, apart from Schrade and Camillus. I'm not trying to encourage people to collect Schrade and Camillus because that means more competition for the rare pieces! :mrgreen:

Roland, my Canadian friend; even though we only live a few hundred miles apart, there is a cultural divide that prevents either of us from fully understanding why the other thinks as he does. This is true on the issue of guns and no doubt other issues as well. This post is my way of explaining why I (and others?) feel at best ambivalent about collecting RR knives. Stay well my friend. ::handshake::[/quote]

Amen, amen, and amen. Couldn't agree with you more Orvet, nailed about everythying. I do see some GEC history fascinating and interesting. I find the history of Ken Daniels and what he did before, during, and now after his start up to be phenomenal, interesting, and goes back further than many think. Rich history to me of him scrounging up funding, taking old, used, somewhat antiquated machines and started with regular good old American men and women and rocked the knife world. He probably single handledly beat Queen at their own game and shut them down. I know of no one who is making a better traditional knife today. He took GEC from NOTHING to an American success story like few others where he went up like David against Goliath Case and he beat them at their own game. GEC is now the standard in the industry and no other knife appreciates like some GEC in the market today. Case better watch out, Ken Daniels slayed Queen and he's coming for Case next.
As far as China, you nailed it. I tell everyone if they can choose, don't support the tyrannical dictatorship authoritarian idiocracy that runs China. Love the people, hate their party. Look what they are doing to Hong Kong and how can you support them? I can't choose all parts or componets, but I can choose to by knives from Titusville and Bradford instead of China. And I don't buy Chinese cars or trucks or motorcycles or bikes. China is the enemy of democracy, free market, majority rule, representative government.They are the biggest threat to the Chinese people there is. And they are the enemy of religion, intellectuall property copyright, and free internet etc. That alone should give pause for consideration.
"It's what people know about themselves inside that makes them afraid." -No Name, High Plains Drifter
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

This was not at all what i had in mind when i started this thread. It has become an excuse to bash China. Join a political debate forum where your thoughts can be scrutinized by those with political knowledge and experience. I wanted to discuss knives.
kj
New_Windsor_NY
Gold Tier
Gold Tier
Location: I'm On The Far Right On The Left Coast In Commiefornia

Post by New_Windsor_NY »

kootenay joe wrote: I am posting here instead of the Chinese Knife forum to get a wider readership.
kootenay joe wrote:This was not at all what i had in mind when i started this thread. It has become an excuse to bash China. Join a political debate forum where your thoughts can be scrutinized by those with political knowledge and experience. I wanted to discuss knives.
kj
kj
Hindsight being 20/20, maybe you should have posted this in the Chinese Knife forum, where you would've had a smaller readership. :D
Kid: "Wish we had time to bury them fellas."
Josey Wales: "To hell with them fellas. Buzzards got to eat, same as worms."
Clint Eastwood-The Outlaw Josey Wales

Skip
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

We know not what tomorrow may bring. For me the politics is enough. But all I would have to do to resist temptation to buy a Chinese knife is imagine that I'm found dead with one on my person! ::dang:: Or one or more in my collection. ::facepalm::

I can hear the gossip now: "tsk, tsk, did you know when they found him he had a Chinese knife in his pocket?!" ::paranoid::

:lol:

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
Ivoryman

Post by Ivoryman »

Chatting about knives is what it is, that might involve the market, politics, economy, cost, quality, preferences and the free flow of ideas and opinions is what makes this place what it is. What's wrong with that? Tangents happen. When you open your mouth and speak or write it, you don't get to choose what others will say in response or where they will go with it. I support everyone's right to say and comment whatever they want. Thought that was understood.
"It's what people know about themselves inside that makes them afraid." -No Name, High Plains Drifter
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Colonel26 »

kootenay joe wrote:This was not at all what i had in mind when i started this thread. It has become an excuse to bash China. Join a political debate forum where your thoughts can be scrutinized by those with political knowledge and experience. I wanted to discuss knives.
kj
Fortunately this isn’t that other knife site. The free flow of ideas and conversation has been a cherished tradition here at aapk for as long as I’ve been here, and I suspect much longer.

But since we’re being monitored I’ll forgo my main reason for not owning a RR. The other reason is that I’ve never handled one that appealed to me. They don’t feel like quality in the hand to me. I don’t like the cheap stainless, I don’t like the jigging, they feel to me like a cheap gas station pocket knife. As a matter of fact the only thing I do like about them is that they make some discontinued patterns other makers have dropped.

Maybe I’ve just never seen a good one. I don’t know. But there are too many fine old HOK’s to be fooling with a RR. YMMV.
“There are things in the old Book which I may not be able to explain, but I fully accept it as the infallible word of God, and receive its teachings as inspired by the Holy Spirit.”
Robert E. Lee
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Colonel26 »

Oops! Looks like I-man has the same thought I did but was faster. ::handshake::
“There are things in the old Book which I may not be able to explain, but I fully accept it as the infallible word of God, and receive its teachings as inspired by the Holy Spirit.”
Robert E. Lee
Railsplitter
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Railsplitter »

Mumbleypeg wrote:We know not what tomorrow may bring. For me the politics is enough. But all I would have to do to resist temptation to buy a Chinese knife is imagine that I'm found dead with one on my person! ::dang:: Or one or more in my collection. ::facepalm::

I can hear the gossip now: "tsk, tsk, did you know when they found him he had a Chinese knife in his pocket?!" ::paranoid::

Ken
That one made me chuckle a little, Ken. :lol: I own a few Chinese knives and although your comments have a touch of humor in them, it's also a very good point and one that I'm inclined to agree with.

I never looked at it that way but now that you mentioned it, I would not want to die with a Chinese knife in my pocket either if I'm being honest.
Rick T.

"My knife money maketh itself wings!" mb>

Proud member of the Buck Collectors Club Inc.
WillyCamaro

Post by WillyCamaro »

You know somethin funny. I agree with everyone 100%. Love hate relationship with Rough Riders myself. Think they are tremendous knives for the price, but absolutely hate that they are made in China. That's why I stick to Imperials. In a matter of fact, I am sick and tired of buying stuff from China. For the last few years I've been trying to find stuff made anywhere but there. Getting lucky at it. Spend a little more, get better products anyway. Taiwan has come leaps and bounds these last few years. Now if RR were made in Taiwan that would change my outlook. I also notice many products have come back to USA/Canada. Thinking of hand/power tools off top of my head. Also bike parts and guitars for that matter. I notice many people thinking the same thing as me. China's economy is grinding to a halt, even before changes in USA relations. JMTB
"Never, never, never give up."
Winston Churchill

Take therefore no thought for the morrow: for the morrow shall take thought for the things of itself. Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof.
Matthew 6:34
Lansky1

Post by Lansky1 »

I'm with Dale on most levels. I'm a post '70 Case guy almost exclusively - fact that they are USA made is a big part of why. I (fortunately) never had Chinese made lead shot at me, but if I did, I would absolutely share his sentiments. I have a couple GEC's but have a hard time justifying their cost because I use everything I have - don't collect knives (those I luckily managed to get for stupidly good deals) ... plus the last 2 GEC's I bought new (and sold at a loss) had really weak snap, which is totally unacceptable to me at that price point.

I do have one RR - I wanted to try their muskrat & work it up with the ratcliffe treatment. Must admit, it's got really nice snap and fit and finish exceeds expectations for a $15 knife. I haven't used it hard - but I did notice as I've sharpened so many Case SS knives on the lansky, the RR steel just felt softer on the stone - it was perceptible. It's probably just one of my quirks, but aside from the made in USA thing, the main reason I am not crazy about RR knives is the match striker nail nick - really dislike that feature & they insist on using it 99.9% of the time...
IMG-0269.JPG
pffffft that's not a knife ......... now THAT'S a knife !! Crocodile Dundee

John
Ivoryman

Post by Ivoryman »

Railsplitter wrote:
Mumbleypeg wrote:We know not what tomorrow may bring. For me the politics is enough. But all I would have to do to resist temptation to buy a Chinese knife is imagine that I'm found dead with one on my person! ::dang:: Or one or more in my collection. ::facepalm::

Ken
That one made me chuckle a little, Ken. :lol: I own a few Chinese knives and although your comments have a touch of humor in them, it's also a very good point and one that I'm inclined to agree with.

I never looked at it that way but now that you mentioned it, I would not want to die with a Chinese knife in my pocket either if I'm being honest.
Damn straight, nailed it both of you, couldn't agree more. ::rotflol:: :mrgreen:
espn77

Post by espn77 »

Ken's reason is pretty close to the same reason as why I dont buy them. When i die someone is going to have to get rid of all this stuff. My family sees all the time and enjoyment i get from knife collecting and I'd hate for them to have to try to sell them and realize that they are only worth $10 a piece. It won't even be worth there time to sell them. But if the knives have some real value they might actually see the value in them and develop a desire for them after I'm gone. Those are my reasonings. I think they will be surprised at what some of them might bring and think I'm not as crazy as they thought ::shrug:: time will tell.

Return to “Chinese-made knives”