Vintage pocketknife

A place to discuss & share pictures of knives made in China.
espn77

Vintage pocketknife

Post by espn77 »

Was wondering if there is such a thing as vintage china/Japan pocket knives? Or if the production of pocket knives is modern? Just curious. Pre 40's that is.
cody6268

Re: Vintage pocketknife

Post by cody6268 »

For both, yes. They have designs that go back hundreds of years that are still being produced, largely friction folders. For example, the Higonokami dates back to 1891.
RevolverGuy

Post by RevolverGuy »

The Higonokami is a style of pocket knife that dates back to late 1800s. From what I understand there are several Japanese manufacturers that make this style of knife but only the company Nagao Kanakoma (founded by Mr. Komataro Nagao) owns the Higonokami trademark.
espn77

Post by espn77 »

Are they worth anything?
RevolverGuy

Post by RevolverGuy »

I'm sure they are. I couldn't tell you how much though. Value to me is in the eye (or pocket, lol) of the beholder. But I find them interesting enough to want to add to my collection...just haven't got around to it yet. The only knives made in Japan that I own are a few Gerber/Sakai, Parker's, and some kitchen knives in carbon steel. These are 1970s-80s. It seems like after the war, quality in Japan made products went downhill. By the late 70s and early 80s it picked up, and by the 90s you could tell the quality was up there.
OLDE CUTLER
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by OLDE CUTLER »

I picked up this unused Indian Head Trapper recently for a good price. Seems to be fairly well made, reminds me of the Rough Rider made knives. Smooth bone handle, 4 1/8", 440 stainless blades.
IMG_3120.JPG
"Sometimes even the blind chicken finds corn"
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

OC, I'm not familiar with this brand. Am wondering why it reminds you of a RR. Is it China made?
Corso

Post by Corso »

espn77 wrote:Are they worth anything?
some yes most no

for the most part they are a cheap farmers tool however like anything if they are/were made by the right cutler and are rare the value increases
treefarmer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by treefarmer »

Just ran across this discussion after reading the hot and heavy discussion concerning RR knives and the country where they are produced. I saw the picture of the Indian Head trapper that OLDE CUTLER shared. According to a posting several years ago, the Indian Head is/was owned by SMKW and were inactive at the time of the post. The match strike nicks make it look an awful lot like an RR, kinda' like old Chevy and GMC trucks years ago, just a different name on the tail gate. :)
Treefarmer

A GUN IN THE HAND IS BETTER THAN A COP ON THE PHONE.

Return to “Chinese-made knives”