What's your top end on S.E. Asia knives?

A place to discuss & share pictures of knives made in China.
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

What's your top end on S.E. Asia knives?

Post by 1967redrider »

Looking through the new A.G. Russell catalog and a few things jumped out at me. First, would you pay $125+ for a Chinese made knife? What about $145? How about $200+ for a knife made in Taiwan?

In my opinion that's over what I would pay, maybe by double the amount, but I'm interested in what others think. Attaching some pictures for clarification, sorry for the picture quality.

Thanks for any replies! Interested in your take on these and any others you might like to include. ::handshake::
Attachments
IMG_20191120_221058656~3.jpg
IMG_20191120_220951948~2.jpg
IMG_20191120_221022574~3.jpg
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
cody6268

Re: What's your top end on S.E. Asia knives?

Post by cody6268 »

These days, Chinese knives are getting like the current Japanese cutlery industry. They're now making high-end, super-high price knives.

Me--$50. That includes the majority of the Russell models I'm looking at. Most (and so far, the only inexpensive ones I like) of my current Chinese users are Rough Rider. I openly admit--I don't do Chinese. But Rough Riders are very well built, have very good steel, and are rarely over the $10-15 range; whether it be through a Blue Ridge associated dealer, or SMKW.
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

No interest whatsoever. Period.

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
New_Windsor_NY
Gold Tier
Gold Tier
Location: I'm On The Far Right On The Left Coast In Commiefornia

Post by New_Windsor_NY »

::td:: No.
Kid: "Wish we had time to bury them fellas."
Josey Wales: "To hell with them fellas. Buzzards got to eat, same as worms."
Clint Eastwood-The Outlaw Josey Wales

Skip
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Sharpnshinyknives »

Rike knives are really high end and start at 200 and many models are over 600. I’ve bought and sold a few and there are people out there that will pay that for these, though no one here was interested. Blade HQ has a big selection of these.
Funny, the picture of the A.G.Russell rope knife in your first picture was one I was going to buy for my collection but changed my mind, just couldn’t bring myself to spend over 100 on a Chinese knife. I would rather put that same money in a GEC or another Mcusta or Moki.
SSk Mark “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.” Ronald Reagan
Steve Warden

Post by Steve Warden »

$20, to include shipping.
Anything over that and I'm buyin' Case.
Take care and God bless,

Steve
TSgt USAF, Retired
1980-2000

But any knife is better than no knife! ~ Mumbleypeg (aka Ken)
tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

Mumbleypeg wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 4:11 am No interest whatsoever. Period.

Ken
On a pair. ::td::
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

Appreciating your replies, thanks! ::handshake::

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
Doc B

Post by Doc B »

If it's over $20-30...I'm not interested, either.
Heretical Refurb / Mods of cheap old folders, since late 2018
RevolverGuy

Post by RevolverGuy »

I own a few Rough Riders and the most I paid for one is $16 but I'd never pay more than $20 for something out of S.E. Asia. Honestly there is very little that interest me from there. Those A.G. Russell knives are probably riding on his name and brand to be selling for that price.
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

I have paid in the $100 vicinity for some of the AG Russell Asian knives because the quality has always been excellent.
samb1955

Post by samb1955 »

I paid $100 for a We knife, China made but high quality.
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

Thanks for your replies. ::handshake::

edge213
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by edge213 »

About 3 years ago I paid about $125 for a Kizer tactical.
Well worth it.
David
"Glowing like the metal on the edge of a knife" Meat Loaf
schradefan27

Post by schradefan27 »

Good afternoon,

I purchased "War Eagle" barlow from A.G. Russell for a buddy who went to Auburn. A couple years ago I think it was about $40 and had stag scales.

Not a bad knife for the $, but unless brands like "Go Vols," "Roll Tide," "Bright College Years," etc. I doubt I'll be buying more Chinese knives for gifts.

I don't buy Chinese knives for myself.
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

schradefan27 wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 9:57 pm Good afternoon,

I purchased "War Eagle" barlow from A.G. Russell for a buddy who went to Auburn. A couple years ago I think it was about $40 and had stag scales.

Not a bad knife for the $, but unless brands like "Go Vols," "Roll Tide," "Bright College Years," etc. I doubt I'll be buying more Chinese knives for gifts.

I don't buy Chinese knives for myself.
Interesting . . . I have a bud who's going to be my best man and he went to Auburn. So a few years ago I got him one of those Frost commemorative War Eagle knives. He cut his finger getting it out of the box. ::facepalm::

True story!

mikekoz

Post by mikekoz »

Well, I would not pay more than $150.00 for any knife, regardless of where it was made, but for a knife made in China, I would probably say my limit would be 30 to 40 dollars. They have got better over the years, but I could probably get a much better knife made elsewhere for anything over that.
jmh58

Post by jmh58 »

I don't put alot into where the knife is made.. A lot of quality stuff coming from across the pond.. ::shrug:: If I like it then I buy it.. ::nod:: I like to keep all knife purchases under $100.00 and right now its under $000.00.. ::facepalm::
John :D
Not all who wander are lost!!

Of all the paths you take in life,
Make sure some of them are Dirt!!!
dlr110
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by dlr110 »

I don't use pocket knives, l collect knives. I'm more interested in style, condition, and history of knives. Yes I would prefer the best knives were made in the USA, but that's just not the case anymore.
My collection has over 50+ brands plus all the ones I don't know. They come from around the world, from the 1800's until now.
Where they come from is not a priority with me and the cost is what ever I'm willing to pay for any given knife regardless of where it was made.
I know this is not the most popular view, but we all have different reasons for why we like and collect knives. IMHO
David R (United States Navy Retired)
Don't just count your many blessings, be the blessing others count on!
Visit my website: Woodburning Art by David https://www.wdbydavid.com/
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

S.E. Asia includes Japan where some of the finest custom and manufactured knives are being produced. I estimate their knife manufacturing standards to be the world's finest. Taiwan is producing hand made knives of beautiful construction. Taiwan manufactured knives are highly competitive and produce knives for many labels including USA companies. All of this is to say that I am unable to put a top dollar limit. My bank account is the limiting factor, but had I an abundance of cash I would have no limit on buying a great knife.
mikekoz

Post by mikekoz »

dlr110 wrote: Fri Feb 28, 2020 3:30 pm I don't use pocket knives, l collect knives. I'm more interested in style, condition, and history of knives. Yes I would prefer the best knives were made in the USA, but that's just not the case anymore.
My collection has over 50+ brands plus all the ones I don't know. They come from around the world, from the 1800's until now.
Where they come from is not a priority with me and the cost is what ever I'm willing to pay for any given knife regardless of where it was made.
I know this is not the most popular view, but we all have different reasons for why we like and collect knives. IMHO

I am the same way. Most knives and multitools I buy I do not use. I may buy one because I just like the way it looks and where or how it was made is not important. I also have knives from all over the world and that is part of the fun of this hobby. Not too long ago I got my first multitool from France! Unfortunately I am not rich and have a budget! :mrgreen: I just bought a few cheapies from Ebay that I am looking forward to getting, so my collection is growing!
Old Folder
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Old Folder »

The below posted statement was within the March 2020 "Knife Magazine" issue. It will be be covered within the April 2020 Print and Digital "Knife Magazine" issue which should arrive within three weeks or so.
Many of the aapk members have posted interesting articles in the past pertaining to some of the listed knife companies mentioned. It should be a very interesting article. ::nod::
Can't wait.
Dan

img162.jpg
It's always important to know what you don't know.
Dan
Test ID

Post by Test ID »

Southeast Asia is comprised of 11 countries namely: Indonesia, Malaysia, Singapore, Philippines, East Timor, Brunei, Cambodia, Laos, Myanmar (Burma), Thailand and Viet Nam.

China, Japan, Korea (North and South), Macau, Mongolia, Taiwan and Hong Kong are considered East Asia.

JFYI
Old Folder
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Old Folder »

Test ID wrote: Tue Mar 03, 2020 3:15 pm Southeast Asia is comprised of 11 countries namely: Indonesia, Malaysia, Singapore, Philippines, East Timor, Brunei, Cambodia, Laos, Myanmar (Burma), Thailand and Viet Nam.

China, Japan, Korea (North and South), Macau, Mongolia, Taiwan and Hong Kong are considered East Asia.

JFYI
You are Geographically correct. However, the majority of posts within this topic includes “China”

JFYI
It's always important to know what you don't know.
Dan
Nev52

Post by Nev52 »

I grew up in the country were there was a gun in the barn and a knife on top of the feed bin. My Dad carried and old Imperial Jack knife or Barlow. I have always been a blue collar worker. I either carried a Schrade LB7 or LB5 or Buck 110 or 112's and a schrade or buck stockman in my pocket. Up until I found this forum I never paid attention to Chinese knives. After hearing everyone talk about Rough Rider knives I purchased quite a few and have to say they are very well made. But I am not going to pay more than $20.00 for them. If I am paying over that price I will buy Bear & Son, Buck, or Case. That's my 2 cents on this subject.

Return to “Chinese-made knives”