What's your top end on S.E. Asia knives?

A place to discuss & share pictures of knives made in China.
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: What's your top end on S.E. Asia knives?

Post by 1967redrider »

schradefan27 wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 9:57 pm Good afternoon,

I purchased "War Eagle" barlow from A.G. Russell for a buddy who went to Auburn. A couple years ago I think it was about $40 and had stag scales.

Not a bad knife for the $, but unless brands like "Go Vols," "Roll Tide," "Bright College Years," etc. I doubt I'll be buying more Chinese knives for gifts.

I don't buy Chinese knives for myself.
Interesting . . . I have a bud who's going to be my best man and he went to Auburn. So a few years ago I got him one of those Frost commemorative War Eagle knives. He cut his finger getting it out of the box. ::facepalm::

True story!
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
mikekoz

Post by mikekoz »

Well, I would not pay more than $150.00 for any knife, regardless of where it was made, but for a knife made in China, I would probably say my limit would be 30 to 40 dollars. They have got better over the years, but I could probably get a much better knife made elsewhere for anything over that.
jmh58

Post by jmh58 »

I don't put alot into where the knife is made.. A lot of quality stuff coming from across the pond.. ::shrug:: If I like it then I buy it.. ::nod:: I like to keep all knife purchases under $100.00 and right now its under $000.00.. ::facepalm::
John :D
Not all who wander are lost!!

Of all the paths you take in life,
Make sure some of them are Dirt!!!
dlr110
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by dlr110 »

I don't use pocket knives, l collect knives. I'm more interested in style, condition, and history of knives. Yes I would prefer the best knives were made in the USA, but that's just not the case anymore.
My collection has over 50+ brands plus all the ones I don't know. They come from around the world, from the 1800's until now.
Where they come from is not a priority with me and the cost is what ever I'm willing to pay for any given knife regardless of where it was made.
I know this is not the most popular view, but we all have different reasons for why we like and collect knives. IMHO
David L Roberts, United States Navy Retired
Please visit my website: Woodburning Art by David at

https://www.wdbydavid.com/
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

S.E. Asia includes Japan where some of the finest custom and manufactured knives are being produced. I estimate their knife manufacturing standards to be the world's finest. Taiwan is producing hand made knives of beautiful construction. Taiwan manufactured knives are highly competitive and produce knives for many labels including USA companies. All of this is to say that I am unable to put a top dollar limit. My bank account is the limiting factor, but had I an abundance of cash I would have no limit on buying a great knife.
mikekoz

Post by mikekoz »

dlr110 wrote: Fri Feb 28, 2020 3:30 pm I don't use pocket knives, l collect knives. I'm more interested in style, condition, and history of knives. Yes I would prefer the best knives were made in the USA, but that's just not the case anymore.
My collection has over 50+ brands plus all the ones I don't know. They come from around the world, from the 1800's until now.
Where they come from is not a priority with me and the cost is what ever I'm willing to pay for any given knife regardless of where it was made.
I know this is not the most popular view, but we all have different reasons for why we like and collect knives. IMHO

I am the same way. Most knives and multitools I buy I do not use. I may buy one because I just like the way it looks and where or how it was made is not important. I also have knives from all over the world and that is part of the fun of this hobby. Not too long ago I got my first multitool from France! Unfortunately I am not rich and have a budget! :mrgreen: I just bought a few cheapies from Ebay that I am looking forward to getting, so my collection is growing!
Old Folder
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Old Folder »

The below posted statement was within the March 2020 "Knife Magazine" issue. It will be be covered within the April 2020 Print and Digital "Knife Magazine" issue which should arrive within three weeks or so.
Many of the aapk members have posted interesting articles in the past pertaining to some of the listed knife companies mentioned. It should be a very interesting article. ::nod::
Can't wait.
Dan

img162.jpg
It's always important to know what you don't know.
Dan
Test ID

Post by Test ID »

Southeast Asia is comprised of 11 countries namely: Indonesia, Malaysia, Singapore, Philippines, East Timor, Brunei, Cambodia, Laos, Myanmar (Burma), Thailand and Viet Nam.

China, Japan, Korea (North and South), Macau, Mongolia, Taiwan and Hong Kong are considered East Asia.

JFYI
Old Folder
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Old Folder »

Test ID wrote: Tue Mar 03, 2020 3:15 pm Southeast Asia is comprised of 11 countries namely: Indonesia, Malaysia, Singapore, Philippines, East Timor, Brunei, Cambodia, Laos, Myanmar (Burma), Thailand and Viet Nam.

China, Japan, Korea (North and South), Macau, Mongolia, Taiwan and Hong Kong are considered East Asia.

JFYI
You are Geographically correct. However, the majority of posts within this topic includes “China”

JFYI
Dan
Nev52

Post by Nev52 »

I grew up in the country were there was a gun in the barn and a knife on top of the feed bin. My Dad carried and old Imperial Jack knife or Barlow. I have always been a blue collar worker. I either carried a Schrade LB7 or LB5 or Buck 110 or 112's and a schrade or buck stockman in my pocket. Up until I found this forum I never paid attention to Chinese knives. After hearing everyone talk about Rough Rider knives I purchased quite a few and have to say they are very well made. But I am not going to pay more than $20.00 for them. If I am paying over that price I will buy Bear & Son, Buck, or Case. That's my 2 cents on this subject.
EeDeCe

Post by EeDeCe »

I’d like to have something in the $125 range like a GEC I’d use a lot, but just one. Perhaps Japanese, but likely US or German made. If I have it, it’s going to be used, so nothing just for a collection. That also makes me feel odd spending a lot.
I have a hard time breaking $70 bucks. Actually, I have a hard time with $70, I still question one I bought a month or so ago. Value is important as well as craftsmanship. $50-60 for a US Buck, German Boker and the like and I’m in. At a hundred+ I start thinking, yeah, or I could get these other two just as useful PLUS an interesting looking Rough Rider. LOL
kennedy knives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by kennedy knives »

Can't beat them my EDC
Attachments
Mcusta  122DR & 128D 001.JPG
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

Very handsome knives Gary.
kennedy knives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by kennedy knives »

Quick Steel wrote: Sun Apr 12, 2020 6:21 am Very handsome knives Gary.
Thanks Garry I haven't found any better .
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

Great looking Damascus! ::tu::

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
Lansky1

Post by Lansky1 »

Doc B wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 5:49 pm If it's over $20-30...I'm not interested, either.
same here - prices I've seen of the AGR knives I would be interested in are way above that, which is why I won't own any ...
pffffft that's not a knife ......... now THAT'S a knife !! Crocodile Dundee

John
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

Old Folder wrote: Tue Mar 03, 2020 7:42 am The below posted statement was within the March 2020 "Knife Magazine" issue. It will be be covered within the April 2020 Print and Digital "Knife Magazine" issue which should arrive within three weeks or so.
Many of the aapk members have posted interesting articles in the past pertaining to some of the listed knife companies mentioned. It should be a very interesting article. ::nod::
Can't wait.
Dan

img162.jpg

How was the article? I just plopped down $125 for an S35VN Kizer. ::mdm::

Hope I'm satisfied.

Old Folder
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Old Folder »

1967redrider wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 1:43 am
Old Folder wrote: Tue Mar 03, 2020 7:42 am The below posted statement was within the March 2020 "Knife Magazine" issue. It will be be covered within the April 2020 Print and Digital "Knife Magazine" issue which should arrive within three weeks or so.
Can't wait.
Dan

img162.jpg

Hope I'm satisfied.

redrider:
PM Sent
Also, your Kizer S35VN seems to be a very nice knife. Good price also. ::nod::
Dan
Dan
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

Old Folder wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 7:53 am
1967redrider wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 1:43 am
Can't wait.
Dan

img162.jpg

Hope I'm satisfied.

redrider:
PM Sent
Dan
Thank you, Sir! ::handshake::

1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

Old Folder wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 7:53 am
redrider:
PM Sent
Dan
OF, thanks again for the info, really appreciated. ::handshake::

I finally got the knife in question and I really like it. Supposedly it says, "Don't leave home without it," in Chinese script. I must say, Kizer's presentation boxes are impressive as well. If anything could cut into the American knife makers' traditional folder market, it might be off shore tactical knives.

Just my opinion but you can quote me on this.
Attachments
15917504383574891277784817714994.jpg

Old Folder
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Old Folder »

Your very welcome redrider ::nod::
Nice Kizer.
I agree, boxes make a statement. I keep all my RR boxes.
Dan
bighomer

Post by bighomer »

The RR boxes are almost as amazing as their knives at the price. I'm sure that the GEC's are ten times the knife that a RR is, but that little tube they come in does not out shine the RR boxes. Imho ::handshake::
cody6268

Post by cody6268 »

bighomer wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 7:30 pm The RR boxes are almost as amazing as their knives at the price. I'm sure that the GEC's are ten times the knife that a RR is, but that little tube they come in does not out shine the RR boxes. Imho ::handshake::
My $15 Classic Carbon Folding hunter came in a very thick cardstock box with a magnetic closure, and a formed foam insert for the knife. Hard to believe that something so cheap is not only decent, it comes in packaging better than knives that cost 10X more.
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

Check this box and packaging out. And this is a $125 knife. In my opinion, I think this is the knife market the S.E. Asia knife makers are looking to corner, and this is how they could best the American companies producing similar knives.
Attachments
1592436579677889028190832766742.jpg
15924366171648139390082005594086.jpg
15924366449633315562715301167942.jpg
15924366614457448524385720840025.jpg
1592436682637634656216034352572.jpg
15924367095203636843174842771311.jpg

Return to “Chinese-made knives”