Cold Steel

A place to discuss & share pictures of knives made in China.
Rich53

Re: Cold Steel

Post by Rich53 »

Madmarco wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 1:23 am Both beauties Rich! ::tu:: I have a bunch of their BIG folders and I really like all of em'! 8)
::tu:: ::tu::
Rich53

Post by Rich53 »

I've noticed Cold Steel likes to build hefty knives, both their basic ones like the Finn Wolf all the way up to the ones costing hundreds of dollars.

They are built to be used, not to become collectible "safe queens."
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

Absolutely! ::tu:: 8)
8)
cody6268

Post by cody6268 »

I just sharpened up my Mini Tuff Lite. It is made in Taiwan, but still priced at a paltry $25.

I'm slowly learning sharpening, but I've reached a sharpness level close to factory with minimal effort and tools. Heck, these aren't even my main stones.

The 1.4116 held up longer than I thought it would (especially given the main use of this knife has been cutting cardboard), and it was super-easy to resharpen. I used a black Norton "Pocket Stone" oilstone (that came out of a package dated 1977; as it was my spare, and I'd dropped and broken my modern one) that I would say is somewhere between medium and coarse grit and a Case hard Arkansas stone. The short Wharncliffe blade made from a semi-soft (but decent) steel makes it, in my opinion, about the easiest knife to sharpen there is. Especially given with sharpening tools that cost less than $20. Case I've had since a teenager (thought I'd clogged it, but it was just blunt knives); Norton came new-old-stock in a cheap lot of otherwise well-used sharpening stones.

Cold Steel apparently has changed these AGAIN to 1.4034. My knife is 2021 production, and markings and box are modelled AFTER the acquisition by GSI Outdoors. I have an even older one I think is AUS-8.

On another note, I'm finally figuring out how to use a camera properly.
IMG_20220301_122539.jpg
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

Over a year since anyone posted in this thread, so here goes!
This is an 8" oal Cold Steel "Spike" neck knife with a 4116 German steel drop-point blade that I had to settle for after unsuccessfully searching for their model with a Tanto blade due to them being always sold out, Griv-Ex handle, and a Secure-Ex sheath.
Light for my liking at only 2.3 oz.'s, but a fit and finish that's nearly perfect.
I must admit I was a bit disappointed once I had it in hand, it just wasn't what I was expecting, especially after paying what I did!
Live and learn!
I want to apologize for the not up to par pictures, some days you're the windshield some days you're the bug! ::facepalm::
8)
WIN_20221222_19_15_01_Pro.jpg
WIN_20221222_19_15_14_Pro.jpg
8)
Ridgegrass
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Ridgegrass »

Marco" Found a Cold Steel, black, composite-handled folder with an adjustable thumb flipper pin, made in Japan. Could have had it for $5 but it's not my thing. Any good? Japanese vs. Chinese? Seki made ? Thanks. O'.
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

Sorry for my late reply, O'. Truth be told I don't know of a Cold Steel product that isn't a well made solid knife, so the model you described for $5.00 is a steal providing it's legit, which it likely is cuz I personally don't see or hear about C/S fakes or even clones. Even the model I just posted and was complaining about is a solid knife, just not what I was expecting.
IMHO, Japanese over Chinese every time, especially if it comes from Seki.
I have probably 15 C/S models in my collection, most of them BIG, and I have zero complaints about any of them, but opinions will vary amongst others.
If you have a picture or even the model number I might be able to offer more info, or, you could contact Garry/Quick Steel who is a wealth of C/S knowledge, or perhaps he will see your post eventually and reply.
If I were you I'd scoop it up for $5.00, and if it's a dud you're only out five bucks or you could re-sell it.
Hope that helps a bit!
8)
8)
Ridgegrass
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Ridgegrass »

Thanks Marco. I wasn't interested in it but the lady who owns the shop saves the few knives she gets for me to have first refusal. They are always priced very low. To return that favor I told her I thought the knife was better than she thought and I told her to put $20 on it and take any offer. Should have kept my mouth shut but she's a good person. Maybe I'll go get it ?? I'll send a pic if I do. Stay tuned. O'.
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

That sounds like a nice gesture for a nice lady, O'! If you do go this way perhaps you should suggest to her $50. O.B.O. cuz I don't know of ANY C/S knife that sells for even that little, even that little neck knife I just posted was US$45. which I feel is high for that particular knife. Once you've fiddled with a C/S knife you'll wonder why you haven't followed them before now.
Should you decide to go back for it I'm certain you won't be disappointed with how well it's made, you may not care for the model but the build quality is in every knife they make.
I'll stay tuned!
8)
8)
Ridgegrass
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Ridgegrass »

I went back and got it. Didn't see your post till I got home. I'm starting to like Japanese made knives. They seem far superior to the other Asian-mades.
The scales on this one feel like Pachmayr pistol grips.Lots of quality. She took $15 for it. She really doesn't care as her store is mostly furniture and house clean-outs.
Attachments
IMG_5698.jpg
IMG_5699.jpg
IMG_5700.jpg
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

That particular knife, O', is a model I'm not familiar with. I was just at the C/S website looking for that knife, but I didn't see one exactly like yours so I'm thinking discontinued or even counterfeit. As-a-matter-of-fact, I was reading their detailed info on fake and/or clones, so it seems they're more of a target than I thought. They claim they're in the process of approaching Chinese websites that are selling clones and threatening legal action. Good luck with that! I didn't see a model number on yours so it's hard to tell where it came from other than the "JAPAN" etch on the tang, but then it says "Ventura, Calif." on the rear tang, so your guess is as good as mine.
There's something about that knife I can't quite put my finger on. I've never seen that style or model and I'm fairly familiar with C/S knives, I've never seen a C/S knife with a sliding stud or even a long pull, to me the lanyard hole looks almost like a DIY after thought, and the confusion about where it was made is all adding up to it being a non-C/S knife, but that's strictly my opinion.
You can always look at it as getting yourself an inexpensive folder that you can beat the crap out of daily, or of course, resell it.
If you're finding yourself becoming more interested in Japanese made knives, follow Mark/SSk's posts, since he's the closest thing to an expert on Japanese cutlery we have. I have a few myself and they definitely stand out of my collection.
8)
8)
Railsplitter
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Railsplitter »

Ridgegrass wrote: Fri Jun 23, 2023 5:34 pm I went back and got it. Didn't see your post till I got home. I'm starting to like Japanese made knives. They seem far superior to the other Asian-mades.
The scales on this one feel like Pachmayr pistol grips.Lots of quality. She took $15 for it. She really doesn't care as her store is mostly furniture and house clean-outs.
That looks a lot like a Cold Steel Clip Mate that I owned in the early 1990’s only mine didn’t have the thumb stud or the bail.

There was another line of Cold Steel knives that looked almost exactly like the Clip Mates but their name escapes me now.
Rick T.

"My knife money maketh itself wings!" mb>

Proud member of the Buck Collectors Club Inc.
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

Was it maybe their "Voyager" model, Rick? ::shrug::
That's what came to mind for me. ::hmm::
8)
8)
Railsplitter
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Railsplitter »

Madmarco wrote: Fri Jun 23, 2023 9:12 pm Was it maybe their "Voyager" model, Rick? ::shrug::
That's what came to mind for me. ::hmm::
8)
I think it was the Trail Mates that I was thinking of. That was the original name but they changed it to Clip Mates later on.

For those who don't mind clicking on a link, I found an old sale ad for a Clip Mate.
https://epragueknives.com/vtg-cold-stee ... ing-knife/
Rick T.

Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

Oh yah, Rick, that looks very close to O''s model, save for the lanyard hole and sliding stud.
It's good knowing it's not a counterfeit anyway.
BTW, you can't get much safer than a link from Jacob at "eprague"!
8)
8)
Ridgegrass
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Ridgegrass »

Thanks Gents. Looks like I done good. (Dumb luck, I don't know much about Asian knives.) O'.
bestgear
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by bestgear »

Ridgegrass wrote: Fri Jun 23, 2023 11:47 pm Thanks Gents. Looks like I done good. (Dumb luck, I don't know much about Asian knives.) O'.
John - if interested, Cold Steel has a catalog archive from 1988 forward that can be found at https://www.coldsteel.com/catalog-archives/

Happy hunting!
Tom
AAPK Administrator

Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God.
Railsplitter
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Railsplitter »

bestgear wrote: Sat Jun 24, 2023 12:45 am
John - if interested, Cold Steel has a catalog archive from 1988 forward that can be found at https://www.coldsteel.com/catalog-archives/

Happy hunting!
[/quote]

Yes indeed. I might like that too. Thank you, Tom!
Rick T.

bestgear
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by bestgear »

Railsplitter wrote: Sat Jun 24, 2023 12:51 amI might like that too. Thank you, Tom!
no worries Rick - Cold Steel rocks!
Tom
AAPK Administrator

Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God.
Ridgegrass
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Ridgegrass »

Thanks Tom ::handshake:: O'.

Return to “Chinese-made knives”