New Rough Ryder Reserve knifes to be available at SMKW

A place to discuss & share pictures of knives made in China.
zed6309
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Re: New Rough Ryder Reserve knifes to be available at SMKW

Post by zed6309 »

I've had the RRR kayak for a while and really like it , its build quality is spot on, centered blades, smooth transitions , good snap and half stops, it's also got phosphorous copper washers, cant see me getting more unless they do a nice Barlow or Lanny,
IMG_2020-12-22_12-29-43_274.jpg
Paul,

friendship is a rare and precious gift,
A day without a pocket knife is the day your need it,
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

I'm a sight hound and I saw nothing there that tripped my trigger. To each his own. (Especially at those prices)
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
Stanwade

Post by Stanwade »

jerryd6818 wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 11:19 pm I'm a sight hound and I saw nothing there that tripped my trigger. To each his own. (Especially at those prices)

Jerry, I agree..I like Rough Ryders (the $12-$20 range), but for $40-$60 I'm buying a new Case, Kershaw etc.. or an HOK... just my opinion..
Ryan

“That’ll be the day”—-John Wayne
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Stanwade wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 11:57 pm
jerryd6818 wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 11:19 pm I'm a sight hound and I saw nothing there that tripped my trigger. To each his own. (Especially at those prices)

Jerry, I agree..I like Rough Ryders (the $12-$20 range), but for $40-$60 I'm buying a new Case, Kershaw etc.. or an HOK... just my opinion..
::handshake::
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

The finest most precise fit and finish i have ever seen on a production knife are the AGR folding "Texas Ranger" knives made in China. There are about 8 of them.
I wonder if the new factory RRR is using for these more expensive knives is the same factory as made the AGR Texas Rangers ?
kj
Railsplitter
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Railsplitter »

kootenay joe wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 1:12 am The finest most precise fit and finish i have ever seen on a production knife are the AGR folding "Texas Ranger" knives made in China. There are about 8 of them.
I wonder if the new factory RRR is using for these more expensive knives is the same factory as made the AGR Texas Rangers ?
kj
I was wondering that too. If these RRR knives had stainless steel liners like the A.G. Russell knives I'd be all over that Kayak.
Rick T.

"My knife money maketh itself wings!" mb>

Proud member of the Buck Collectors Club Inc.
Old Folder
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Old Folder »

Many members on other sites, such as:
Facebook Groups: "Rough Rider Blades" and "Smoky Mountain Knife Works" have received their RRR004 already, nothing but praise, no complaints about price ever come up.
I cannot complain about a knife that has never been in my hand yet. And I certainly do not think that the RRR series are overpriced.
I should have my RRR004 Friday.

Dan
It's always important to know what you don't know.
Dan
Old Folder
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Old Folder »

My Rough Ryder Reserve RRR004 BarBack arrived yesterday, two days early. (How did that happen?)
IMG_0003 (5).JPG
IMG_0006 (7).JPG
IMG_0005 (8).JPG
I must admit, I had a few doubts and strong uncertainties about this new pattern and its functionality after reading all the unsubstantiated reviews, many of which were either negative or questionable.
However, I not only like the BarBack, I would rate it on par with the three prior RRR series knives which I think are excellent.
Yes, it is a big knife, no, I did not injure my twinkies retrieving it from my pocket and no it does not tear my pocket liner.

No one needs instructions on how to operate a "Cap Lifter," however, the RRR Barback is an exception to this. Perhaps, smkw should have added a note of clarity or caution ⚠, informing the new owner that the cap lifter should only be used with the blade in the closed position.
If you attempt to open a bottle cap with the blade open, this happens:
IMG_0001 (9).JPG
Yes, the cap will not be lifted off the bottle, the blade will slowly swivel back toward enclosed position. No, it will not close on your pinkie. You will obviously be aware of the blade swing, even if you are in direct conversation with someone and not paying attention.

The below picture is the proper way to use you RRR BarBack. It is quick and efficient.
IMG_0002 (7).JPG
Footnote
I would like to add my appreciation to the "Modelo Brewing Company, Nava Mexico."
who made this post possible.

Dan
Dan
Stanwade

Post by Stanwade »

Yay!! Rough Ryders are #1 a+!! Everyone else who has an opinion that doesn't praise every model ever made is obviously wrong and biased against the holiest of knives ever produced!! 🤣 ::poke:: ::poke::
Ryan

dlr110
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by dlr110 »

Stanwade wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 1:40 am Yay!! Rough Ryders are #1 a+!! Everyone else who has an opinion that doesn't praise every model ever made is obviously wrong and biased against the holiest of knives ever produced!! 🤣 ::poke:: ::poke::
What ::shrug::
David R (United States Navy Retired)
Don't just count your many blessings, be the blessing others count on!
Visit my website: Woodburning Art by David https://www.wdbydavid.com/
Stanwade

Post by Stanwade »

dlr110 wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 1:48 am
Stanwade wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 1:40 am Yay!! Rough Ryders are #1 a+!! Everyone else who has an opinion that doesn't praise every model ever made is obviously wrong and biased against the holiest of knives ever produced!! 🤣 ::poke:: ::poke::
What ::shrug::
It's a joke.. that's all...
Ryan

Stanwade

Post by Stanwade »

I felt the need to say something sarcastically because other members here and myself say one negative thing about Rough Ryders and we get passive aggressive remarks from other members when all we do is state our opinion and make sure it's just our opinion..no harm intended, David, I just had to put that out there..has nothing to do with you..all is good 😁
Ryan

edge213
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by edge213 »

I still say that barback is butt ugly!!
David
"Glowing like the metal on the edge of a knife" Meat Loaf
dlr110
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by dlr110 »

Stanwade wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 1:55 am I felt the need to say something sarcastically because other members here and myself say one negative thing about Rough Ryders and we get passive aggressive remarks from other members when all we do is state our opinion and make sure it's just our opinion..no harm intended, David, I just had to put that out there..has nothing to do with you..all is good 😁
::handshake::
David R (United States Navy Retired)
Don't just count your many blessings, be the blessing others count on!
Visit my website: Woodburning Art by David https://www.wdbydavid.com/
zed6309
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by zed6309 »

Stanwade wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 1:55 am I felt the need to say something sarcastically because other members here and myself say one negative thing about Rough Ryders and we get passive aggressive remarks from other members when all we do is state our opinion and make sure it's just our opinion..no harm intended, David, I just had to put that out there..has nothing to do with you..all is good 😁
What I've never understood though is if you dont like RR etc why go on the posts in the first place? I love pocket knives and have done for over 40yrs, as a kid I had many from Sheffield as I'm in the UK, but equally I had some from Japan, Taiwan, Pakistan and I loved them all the same , I love this group and have been on here for years , but I know there are many here who have a strong hatred for Chinese made knives and I get why ,but if I look on a post about a knife I dont like but someone else does I dont go on there and RIP it to shreds , lifes to short and everyone has different budgets, my budget is non existent, both me and my wife are care workers so on low pay, so I buy RR's as affordable and good value for money , I can only dream of owning GEC,Northfields etc but I love looking at them, each to there own my friend as there is a bigger picture ::tu::
Paul,

Stanwade

Post by Stanwade »

Paul, I like Rough Ryders and have Even recommended a few here.. sorry if I offended you🤝.. My comments were for other reasons.. sorry to anyone I might have offended but I'm sticking to my comments on this matter..
Ryan

zed6309
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by zed6309 »

Stanwade wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 8:44 am Paul, I like Rough Ryders and have Even recommended a few here.. sorry if I offended you.. My comments were for other reasons.. sorry to anyone I might have offended but I'm sticking to my comments on this matter..
Not offended Ryan ::tu:: take care mate
Paul,

zed6309
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by zed6309 »

Hmm I dont like this one at all, what was there thinking on this model ::shrug:: why dont they do a nice Lanny or Barlow ::tu:: the Kayak appealed to me and I got it in a trade for some of my Antler work, I know the blades on it are not to everyone's taste but there work for me for carving as I use my knives , but this one is ugly ::dang:: come on SMKW you must know your market and what's popular pattern wise ::tu::
rrr004.jpg
rrr004.jpg (8.07 KiB) Viewed 3242 times
Paul,

KLJ77
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by KLJ77 »

Dan...Thank you for posting about (with photos) the use of the cap lifter on the BarBack. ::tu:: I too theorized about just how that cap lifter would work, or not, in the open blade position. You cleared that up nicely. And I agree, there should be some sort of clarification on the SMKW site. I mean, we're told, in 14 different ways, on a bottle of bleach, to NOT drink & swallow it. :roll: There should be a "cut" warning of some sort for not using the cap lifter in the open position. It's only a matter of time when we'll read about a law suit against SMKW for not stating the obvious, because there are people out there who don't use logic and commonsense...like you did.

Anyway...nice write up and glad you got the BarBack sooner than expected. You've got a nice series going. Now to wait & see what SMKW comes out with in the 005 - 008 series.
LJ

"The problems we face today are there because the people who work for a living are now outnumbered by those that vote for a living."
KLJ77
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by KLJ77 »

I fully understand that there are knifers who would rather cut their finger off, instead of buying a Chinese made knife. However, imho, Kevin Pipes has tremendous quality control in the making of these knives. They may be made in China, but it is an American business, with knives imported to the U.S.

I have many RR knives because I either like them and they appealed to me at a great price point. And they are very good users and available to just about everyone's pocketbook in this day and age of economic slowdown.
LJ

"The problems we face today are there because the people who work for a living are now outnumbered by those that vote for a living."
Old Folder
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Old Folder »

KLJ77 wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 2:57 pm Dan...Thank you for posting about (with photos) the use of the cap lifter on the BarBack. ::tu:: I too theorized about just how that cap lifter would work, or not, in the open blade position. You cleared that up nicely. And I agree, there should be some sort of clarification on the SMKW site. I mean, we're told, in 14 different ways, on a bottle of bleach, to NOT drink & swallow it. :roll: There should be a "cut" warning of some sort for not using the cap lifter in the open position. It's only a matter of time when we'll read about a law suit against SMKW for not stating the obvious, because there are people out there who don't use logic and commonsense...like you did.

Anyway...nice write up and glad you got the BarBack sooner than expected. You've got a nice series going. Now to wait & see what SMKW comes out with in the 005 - 008 series.
Your very welcome LJ
Yes, the new RRR to be released soon has much interest by many collectors, including me.
I am hoping they will be more functional than the BarBack.

Dan
Dan
Old Folder
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Old Folder »

I do not carry the Rough Rider Reserve series. I only collect them. The current BarBack (RRR004) is functional, however, I do not feel that it has done much to improve the Reserve series sales? But it is part of the series and the fit and finish is excellent.
Below is what could happen if you keep the BarBack in the same pocket as your pocket change. I have not carried coins in my pocket now for many months due to the covid19 situation. I pay with my credit card only, which limits hand to hand contact. Many retail businesses will not accept cash, only credit or debit payment.

This is what could happen within your change pocket. The coins can actually become stuck within the excessive gap between the liners. The nickels will actually lodge themselves in and must be physically pulled out.

IMG_0002 (9).JPG
IMG_0001 (11).JPG
Dan
Dan
Railsplitter
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Railsplitter »

That used to bug the crap out of me. Very annoying. I used to have that same problem until I started using one of these. Been carrying one everyday since the late 1970's but this one is only a few years old.
Attachments
IMG_5722.JPG
IMG_5723.JPG
Rick T.

"My knife money maketh itself wings!" mb>

Proud member of the Buck Collectors Club Inc.
Old Folder
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Old Folder »

Excellent idea Rick.
I remember those. I think I'll pick one up. ::nod::
Dan
zed6309
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by zed6309 »

I carry change in my left pocket, but I always use a leather slip for most of my pocket knives ::tu:: I've only got the kayak but it's also gappy, I wonder does it need the central liner ? I know its already got phosphorous washers ::tu::
Paul,

Return to “Chinese-made knives”