New Rough Ryder Reserve knifes to be available at SMKW

A place to discuss & share pictures of knives made in China.
Modern Slip Joints

Re: New Rough Ryder Reserve knifes to be available at SMKW

Post by Modern Slip Joints »

Large 4 1/4" stockmans are among my favorite knives. Made by Case, Camillus, Schrade (Chinese) and Queen their master clip blades are over 3". Offhand I remember they're 3 1/4" to 3 3/8". Since I have not handled a 4 1/4" stockman that did not have a blade over 3" I suggest that you get someone to measure the Common Stockman before importing it into a jurisdiction where over 3" blades are not legal. I would not rely on the length written in SMKW literature. I just bought a 4 1/2" Chinese Schrade Stockman. SMKW advertised its main blade is 3 1/2". It is actually 3 1/4". That did not please me buy it's not a big deal. I also bought a RR Workman series jack with a sheep's foot master. SMKW advertised its main blade is 2 1/2". It is actually 2 13/16". Since I bought it for areas where a law makes blades over 2 1/2" a felony it's unusable for its intended use.

I remember yellow Delrin RR Stockmans with 2 knife blades and a screw driver bottle opener in old SMKW ads. IIRC they were closer to the standard 4" length.
dlr110
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by dlr110 »

Okay I got my RRR004 Bar Back in the mail today. (Pic #1)

The knife is just as well made as any of the other knives in the series, but still IMO it is priced about 25% too high. I would rate it just like I have the other RRR series knives, there is nothing wrong with the craftsmanship. However this is not a knife I will use or carry. First off, this is possibly the strangest pocket knife in my collection.

If you have the drop point blade open for use (Pic #2) and as you hold it, one of your fingers is going to want to rest on the cap lifter of the "main blade." Depending on what I'm doing with the knife at that point I could hurt that finger. Also if that curve at the back end is for your little finger to rest on then the back end of the blade is going to hurt, I already found out.

When you open the main blade now you have a semi-circle to rest your pointer finger in, (Pic #3) don't slip or loose your grip or that finger will be right up on the edge of that blade. Again IMO you are better off with a utility/camping knife.

I am looking forward to getting the other knives in the series and I'm sure I will be pleased with them.
Attachments
20210213_095428.jpg
20210213_104914.jpg
20210213_104840.jpg
David R (United States Navy Retired)
Don't just count your many blessings, be the blessing others count on!
Visit my website: Woodburning Art by David https://www.wdbydavid.com/
Modern Slip Joints

David R.,

Thank-you for posting how the Bar Back feels in hand. I had not thought about the point of the bottle opener poking fingers or the other discomforts. I was slightly tempted to buy one but only because it will likely become a real oddity.

On the other hand the just revealed Common Stockman looks like a practical knife for my use. I will buy at least one. However, it appears to me that stockmans have declined in popularity leaving the market flooded with stockmans. While buyers scrambled to get other GEC models it took retailers at least a year and half to sell all their GEC Dixie Stockmans and over two years to sell their GEC 66 Stockmans. Consequently, I expect RRR Common Stockmans will be at retailers for quite a while. While having a Wharncliff as one of their blades helps, Muskrats are another unpopular style. Maybe they're even less popular than stockmans. In contrast I expect the RRR single blade lock back will sell out fast.
Stanwade

Post by Stanwade »

I have one question-- is David a crybaby for giving the bar back something other than an A1 review? I don't think so myself (thank you, David, for your honest opinion without judging). he's just giving his honest opinion.. there has been passive aggressive statements made to the contrary...
Ryan

“That’ll be the day”—-John Wayne
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

The Bar Back is simply a stupid design. Design is everything in a folding knife. When the proportions and curves all flow together with perfect balance you have an instantly pleasing knife. The Bar Back has none of this and for function is design stupidity. It does not matter how well made it is. The design does not work and is actually dangerous to the user.
I think a sensibly designed RRR Stockman will sell well.
I really like my RRR Kayak.
kj
Edit to add: i just saw the picture Dan posted of the "Common Stock" knife. This guy's designs need to be better vetted before production starts. Why use the valuable space to put a cap lifter ? At least here in Canada all bottle tops can be twisted off by hand. Put a saw blade with a slot screw driver tip or an awl blade, not a no longer needed tool.
i will pass on it.
kj
Stanwade

Post by Stanwade »

kootenay joe wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 8:50 am The Bar Back is simply a stupid design. Design is everything in a folding knife. When the proportions and curves all flow together with perfect balance you have an instantly pleasing knife. The Bar Back has none of this and for function is design stupidity. It does not matter how well made it is. The design does not work and is actually dangerous to the user.
kj
Edit to add: i just saw the picture Dan posted of the "Common Stock" knife. This guy's designs need to be better vetted before production starts. Why use the valuable space to put a cap lifter ? At least here in Canada all bottle tops can be twisted off by hand. Put a saw blade with a slot screw driver tip or an awl blade, not a no longer needed tool.
i will pass on it.
kj
Thank you, KJ, I appreciate your honest review/opinion.. Well said...
Ryan

zed6309
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by zed6309 »

Stanwade wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 9:04 am
kootenay joe wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 8:50 am The Bar Back is simply a stupid design. Design is everything in a folding knife. When the proportions and curves all flow together with perfect balance you have an instantly pleasing knife. The Bar Back has none of this and for function is design stupidity. It does not matter how well made it is. The design does not work and is actually dangerous to the user.
kj
i will pass on it.
kj
Thank you, KJ, I appreciate your honest review/opinion.. Well said...
Thanks KJ for the review, it's not a knife for me , the kayak works perfectly for me and fits in well in my daily edc , I'm not interested in any of the others , if they do a nice 2 blade barlow then I'm.in ::tu::
Paul,

friendship is a rare and precious gift,
A day without a pocket knife is the day your need it,
Beavertail

Post by Beavertail »

kj
i will pass on it.
kj
I think the Barback could be compared to this. :mrgreen:
Attachments
1485185337-14591586605-1a650a070e-o.jpg
Tim
Modern Slip Joints

Stanwade wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 4:48 am I have one question-- is David a crybaby for giving the bar back something other than an A1 review? I don't think so myself (thank you, David, for your honest opinion without judging). he's just giving his honest opinion.. there has been passive aggressive statements made to the contrary...
Since my reply was the only one in between David's and yours it was the only one you could have been calling "passive aggressive." Am I that bad of a writer? Either that or you need to read what I actually wrote. Read it literally and you'll have my honest opinion.
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

Most of the beer I drink requires an opener, but this one is not working for me.
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
Stanwade

Post by Stanwade »

Modern Slip Joints wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 12:02 am
Stanwade wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 4:48 am I have one question-- is David a crybaby for giving the bar back something other than an A1 review? I don't think so myself (thank you, David, for your honest opinion without judging). he's just giving his honest opinion.. there has been passive aggressive statements made to the contrary...
Since my reply was the only one in between David's and yours it was the only one you could have been calling "passive aggressive." Am I that bad of a writer? Either that or you need to read what I actually wrote. Read it literally and you'll have my honest opinion.
My comment was not directed at, MSJ🤝.. sorry if you thought it was.. I shouldn't post certain things about what I'm thinking, sometimes. I meant no offense to anyone, especially you, I just made a personal observation that I shouldn't have🤝.. all is good 👍
Ryan

Old Folder
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Old Folder »

"They're baaaaack!" (#4 and final post of the new RRR Series 2 knives)
My inside informer (as promised last week) sent me the below picture and description of the fourth and last RRR new Rough Ryder Reserve in the series #2 group. (Not yet posted for sale on the smkw web site)

My "Inside Informer" advised me that all four knives are still at sea. However, on the West coast harbors here in Southern Ca. one of the largest seaports in the world is backed up. The Western (Pacific coast) is where much of the U.S. trade & ocean transit takes place. The land harbors are packed high and tight with freight containers. The cargo ships at sea are also backed up and sitting idle. Having worked in Ground and Air Transportation (FedEx Air) for most of my life, this backup is not new. However, related "coronavirus" situations are the main reason for the current situation. So, if you cannot find the items that you normally purchase at your retailer, this is why.

Rough Ryder Reserve "Rhino Toe" Pattern 006
The Rough Ryder Reserve Rhino Toe (Pattern 006) is a modern take on the Elephant Toe pattern designed by Andy Armstrong, Andy also designed the Barback. The Rhino Toe a sleeveboard pattern jack with a D2 tool steel Wharncliffe main blade at the large end and a Spear Point blade at the small end. Both blades have a brushed satin finish with match strike pulls, half stops, and heavy swedging. The handles are blue denim Micarta with a nickel silver Triple-R Arrowhead shield. No blade lengths were given to me. The Rhino Toe also has nickel silver pins, brushed steel striped bolsters, and brass liners. It's 3.875" closed and comes packed in a collectible Rough Ryder Reserve Tube Tin with a Rough Ryder Reserve microfiber cleaning cloth just like the prior series.

There they are folks. I think all four will sell quickly. From the pictures, all four appear to maintain the same excellent quality as the prior four.
I will post all four soon to be released RRR below, however, all the limited statistics are located in above posts for every knife.
Dan

RRR 006 Rhino Toe.jpg
AAPK Second series RRR Nomad Rough Ryder Reserve.jpg
RRR 005 HedgeHog.jpg
RRR0008 Common Stock Series 2.jpg
RRR Hapiness.jpg
It's always important to know what you don't know.
Dan
Beavertail

Post by Beavertail »

I know I said I wouldn't pay that much for a Rough Ryder, but I probably will get the Hedgehog and Rhino toe.
Thanks for sharing this information. ::handshake::
Tim
Railsplitter
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Railsplitter »

The Rhino Toe would be a good collector piece. It would probably be a good user too until the edge needed touched up. The bolster is kind of in the way as pointed out on another venue.

The small blade looks like it might present the same problem when fully open but it's difficult to tell for sure.
Attachments
RRR 006 Rhino Toe.jpg
Rick T.

"My knife money maketh itself wings!" mb>

Proud member of the Buck Collectors Club Inc.
dlr110
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by dlr110 »

Okay I'm going to be Mr. Negative here. What good is a Rhino, Elephant Camel toe any kind of knife for?
For my likes and tastes in knives they're ugly and I just don't know of any use for them. I don't mean to
hurt anyone's feelings, just expressing my thoughts and asking a question. ::shrug::
Railsplitter
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Railsplitter »

dlr110 wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 8:05 pm Okay I'm going to be Mr. Negative here. What good is a Rhino, Elephant Camel toe any kind of knife for?
For my likes and tastes in knives they're ugly and I just don't know of any use for them. I don't mean to
hurt anyone's feelings, just expressing my thoughts and asking a question. ::shrug::
I'm honestly not sure but I think the original "Toe" patterns were designed for cutting rope. I wouldn't carry one myself but I can understand the attraction whether using it for rope or not.
Rick T.

"My knife money maketh itself wings!" mb>

Proud member of the Buck Collectors Club Inc.
Beavertail

Post by Beavertail »

dlr110 wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 8:05 pm Okay I'm going to be Mr. Negative here. What good is a Rhino, Elephant Camel toe any kind of knife for?
My Grandfather always carried an elephant toe.
He worked in the cotton mill and said it was perfect for cutting rope and the roving the mill produced.
Tim
Old Folder
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Old Folder »

Beavertail wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 3:26 pm I know I said I wouldn't pay that much for a Rough Ryder, but I probably will get the Hedgehog and Rhino toe.
Thanks for sharing this information. ::handshake::
Your very welcome Tim.
I'm in for all four.

Dan
Dan
Old Folder
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Old Folder »

My answer to your question David, is: "History."

I have a few "Elephant Toe" knives, no, I have no reason to EDC one. I only collect and display. They are a part of knife history just as my Fleams, Ink Erasers, Barrel Knives, Folding 18th century Medical knives and Bleeding Lancets, the list goes on and on. All of which I have no reason to carry.

I think one has to be into the history of this knife pattern, many collectors are and the Sunfish knives are still being made today by many firms, and even custom makers too, many with drop dead gorgeous handles with prices much deeper than my pockets.

These knives were originally produced as working knives, used by carpenters and sailors in the late eighteen hundreds early nineteen hundreds. That's the reason for the heavy blades, sailors would use belaying pins to hammer the blade through a line to cut it. That's the reason only a few survived this long.
The elephant toenail (sunfish) knife is rich in history and full of all the things in a made for TV movie, and involves many of the granddaddies of American cutlery history.

Bottomline: This wonderful pattern was made for heavy work- manual labor, hunting, trapping, etc. The earliest that I have been able to definitely trace it back to is right before 1900, when sailors at sea would perform their beautiful "Scrimshaw" art on the elephant toe due to its large area of bone handles.

I have been unable to determine the first firm to have produced it, or a patent. (Still researching) Perhaps I should send Bernard Levine an email?

It is a popular pattern and is increasing in demand among new and old collectors. A good example would be by witnessing the ending price on the auction sites, some currently sell for hundreds of dollars, depending on the manufacturer and condition of course.

The pattern was obviously popular in its hay day because dozens of firms began producing them. Interestingly, the knife took on different names as each maker attempted to differentiate their toenails from the others made during that era. Some of the nicknames includes, Vest Pocket Axe, Rope Knife, The Jumbo and many others. Today, they are primarily known as toenails, and elephant toes, elephant toenails and, probably the most popular- Sunfish knives, now we have smkw naming their new RRR a "Rhino Toe." (I'm good with Rhino Toe) ::tu::

As Tim (Beavertail) mentioned in his above post. Tim's Grandfather carried an Elephant Toe to work in the cotton mill.

I am a history fanatic, I often want to know: Who, What, When, Where and Why.

Dan
Dan
Old Folder
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Old Folder »

They're baaaaack!" (#4.1)

Andy, from smkw added the below comment today 02/17/2021:

"Here's what the design mockup looks like. This is a separate file from the actual design files that shows the round in comparison to one another. For size comparison, the Triple-R 008 Common Stock is 4.25" closed."

"They're on their way and will be added to the smkw online store as soon as we know exactly when they will be in house. Pricing will be available at that point as well. ~ Andy"

RRR Roundup.jpg
Dan
Dan
dlr110
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by dlr110 »

Dan my friend I knew I could count on you to respond. I knew if anyone on here could
educate me on these knives it would be you. I love the history too, about every knife
I collect. I have a saying I use "Even an ugly knife has a story to tell" meaning that
every knife that has been used has a history and a story of how we use knives. I would
have a few of these style knives just for the history and to be a part of my collection,
but I doubt very much I would carry one. Thanks for the great education Dan and I'm
ready to purchase all the other RRR series knives when they're available. ::handshake::

BTW I still say those toe knives are ugly. ::woot::
Modern Slip Joints

dlr110 wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 8:05 pm [...] What good is a Rhino, Elephant Camel toe [...?]
I have the same lack of enthusiasm for toe knives. The only use I could think of was spreading peanut butter. Then I noticed in the research section here it is written that toe knives are some times called English rope knives and their broad blades are held over rope and beaten through with a mallet. O.K. I suppose that might work as substitute for sharpening your knife if you lack sharpening skills. I have spent a day or two on boats including splicing eyes at the ends of 4" diameter nylon line making new mooring lines for my ship. Rope is easily cut with a plain edge sharp knife. Maybe another member can help us appreciate toe knives.
Old Folder
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Old Folder »

dlr110 wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 1:43 am Dan my friend I knew I could count on you to respond. I knew if anyone on here could
educate me on these knives it would be you. I love the history too, about every knife
I collect. I have a saying I use "Even an ugly knife has a story to tell" meaning that
every knife that has been used has a history and a story of how we use knives. I would
have a few of these style knives just for the history and to be a part of my collection,
but I doubt very much I would carry one. Thanks for the great education Dan and I'm
ready to purchase all the other RRR series knives when they're available. ::handshake::

BTW I still say those toe knives are ugly. ::woot::
Thank you so much David. ::handshake::
I agree that there is little, perhaps no demand for the Elephant Toe knife in today's world, and the new ones that are currently being produced are only made for nostalgic and collector interests. They do sell, there are many Elephant Toe collectors.
However, on the RRR ugly scale, I vote the "Barback" as number one ugly, only because of the blade placement.
Andy from Smoky Mountain has stated that some future RRR knives will have the same patterns as the current eight, just different blades and handle materials. I'm hoping they keep the Barback pattern for the future, I like the pattern, I find it to be very unique, just dump the cap lifter blade, narrow the width a tad and add a third blade, perhaps to include a Wharncliffe?
Overall, I think the Series 2 RRRs 005 through 008 will be very popular and sell quite well. I believe the "Nomad Folding Hunter" (Pattern 007) will be the first one to sell out. ::shrug:: At least that's my favorite of the four.
Below are just some of the Sunfish that Fight'n Rooster made many years ago with a variety of many different beautiful handle materials. And very close to identical in length to the new RRR Rhino Toe which measures 3.875" closed.
The listed prices are from Frank Busters 1994 catalog. I believe that the Fight'n Roosters are from 1990 and prior. Some were marked during the 1990 91 Gulf War.
I have many Fight'n Rooster knives, unfortunately, no Rooster Sunfish knives.

Dan
img318.jpg
img320.jpg
img322.jpg
Dan
Reverand
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Reverand »

To each his own, I suppose. Elephant Toenail knives are a very intriguing design to me, but I haven't bought one yet. I was unsure how they felt in the hand, and finally had the chance to pick one up at the Fellowship knife show a couple of weeks ago. That one was out of my price range, but I fully intend to buy one sometime.
I might not carry one often, but they have a good solid feel to them that I like as much as the look.
Jesus is life.
Everything else is just a hobby.

~Reverand
Beavertail

Post by Beavertail »

Has anyone here bought the Hedgehog or the Common stock?
If so could you give a review on them?
Tim

Return to “Chinese-made knives”