New Rough Ryder Reserve knifes to be available at SMKW

A place to discuss & share pictures of knives made in China.
Modern Slip Joints

Re: New Rough Ryder Reserve knifes to be available at SMKW

Post by Modern Slip Joints »

Would one of you be willing to post pictures of the RRR Whittler and Bar Back's bottom or back spring side and the top side that blades open out of.

Those are two I've considered buying. I'd be more inclined to buy the Whittler if it is not a 3 spring knife. The bottle opener is such a prominent feature of the Bar Back that it would have been smarter marketing it late spring or early summer. I put away the camp knife that I carried through the summer because I seldom need a bottle opener in cold weather. However, it keeps getting harder to find truly different knives for my collection and those two sure are different than anything I've got.
Old Folder
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Old Folder »

Modern Slip Joints wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 4:37 am Would one of you be willing to post pictures of the RRR Whittler and Bar Back's bottom or back spring side and the top side that blades open out of.

Those are two I've considered buying. I'd be more inclined to buy the Whittler if it is not a 3 spring knife. The bottle opener is such a prominent feature of the Bar Back that it would have been smarter marketing it late spring or early summer. I put away the camp knife that I carried through the summer because I seldom need a bottle opener in cold weather. However, it keeps getting harder to find truly different knives for my collection and those two sure are different than anything I've got.
Here you go my friend.
Both knives have two (2) backsprings each.
Any other pictures needed? Let me know.
Both of the knives you are interested in are of excellent quality.

IMG_0001 (12).JPG
IMG_0003 (8).JPG
IMG_0002 (10).JPG
Dan
It's always important to know what you don't know.
Dan
Modern Slip Joints

Thank-you Old Folder!

While the Bar Back has the traditional spring assembly of Moose and Canoes that I expected the Whittler has a new twist on two spring whittler assembly. In their two spring whittlers that were not split backs Queen tapered both springs for their full length. That avoided using super thick master blade stock which I've seen done in German made two spring whittlers. RRR is using washers to fill the gaps between the master tang and liners. Like using super fat master blade stock the washers are, in my humble opinion, less than classy. On the other hand, at 4 1/2" closed I'd carry the RRR Whittler in a belt pouch so pocket coins lodging in its gaps would not effect me. The best way to make whittlers is to use two thin springs separated by a wedge at the secondary blade end but that is the most expensive way. I call those split back whittlers. Except for those with three long blades the regular production RR whittlers that I own are all split backs. Using a less expensive assembly in their most expensive line seems contradictory.

Case, in their less expensive whittlers, and Buck are using three springs. Unless they have three long blades that leaves a lot of empty space it their blade wells. Other than low cost, the advantage of three springs is that the secondary blades project from the handle parallel to each other and the handle. In all the two spring whittlers I've handled the secondary blades open at an angle forming a V. Do the the RRR whittler's secondaries stick straight out?.
Old Folder
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Old Folder »

Old Folder wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 6:33 pm
Modern Slip Joints wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 4:37 am Would one of you be willing to post pictures of the RRR Whittler and Bar Back's bottom or back spring side and the top side that blades open out of.

Here you go my friend.
Both knives have two (2) backsprings each.
Any other pictures needed? Let me know.
Both of the knives you are interested in are of excellent quality.

IMG_0001 (12).JPGIMG_0003 (8).JPGIMG_0002 (10).JPG

Dan

Sorry Marc;
I inadvertently left out the third blade.
Corrected below.
Dan

IMG_0005 (10).JPG
IMG_0010 (2).JPG
IMG_0011 (1).JPG
Dan
Modern Slip Joints

Thank-you again. I doubt it was a design goal but whoever designed the RRR whittler found another way to make the secondary blades stick straight out of the handle. I still have not decided if they're where my next knife money will go.
Old Folder
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Old Folder »

I am a current member on Facebook, however, I have very few friends there, just to keep in touch and share stories and pictures with family members, etc.
There are also many "Private Groups" that you can join in Facebook that are totally separate from your own home page. By "private" meaning that it is a group of members that anyone can join and participate in, just like AAPK. Just to name a few of the "groups" that you can join:
Knife Photos.
Rough Rider Blades.
Finch Knife Forum.
Puukko Knife Collectors.
SMKWarmyMembers Group. etc.

On Thursday 01/21/2021 (Yesturday) a topic came up within Facebook "SMKWarmyMembers Group" pertaining to the Rough Ryder Reserve 004 "Bar-Back" knife. This "group" contains over 5,000 active members. The group is observed by SMKW and Smoky responds to your questions quickly. This group has over 5,000 active members.
Apparently, the 004 discussion was read by "Andy" whom is an employee of smkw and also designed the RRR004 BarBack.
Andy started the following:

"I think people either love or hate the RR004 knife and I'm okay with that. Not all knives are for all people.
I wish sometimes I was on the air to explain it a little better, but let me clear one thing up. This isn't and never was intended to be a bar tool. It's a utility knife in a traditional knife's clothing that has a working guy's cap lifter in the spine of the utility blade. Hence the term "BarBack".
Second round is coming with another strong mix of old and new patterns. Just like the first round of 4.
Andy"

A few moments later, another representative (unknown) from smkw entered into the conversation and made the below statement:

"If the pattern RRR004 returns, it will definitely get some adjustments. Were listening and making changes as this progresses for sure."

So...there we have it, SMKW is obviously aware of the "not so much" loved 004 pattern and will make future design adjustments.
For those of you that are not aware of the Rough Ryder Reserve pattern RRR004, the lower two pictures are of my 004.
IMG_0003 (5).JPG
IMG_0006 (7).JPG
IMG_0005 (8).JPG
Personally, I like the knife's unusualness' but it is overbuilt.

Dan
Dan
cody6268

Post by cody6268 »

To me, the Barback is fine as a pattern, but it could do without the bottle opener. If they do another "bar" type knife, it's a tool better suited to something like a screwdriver (ala most scouts) or a fork (ala some Hobos, GEC Beer N' Sausage Knife).
KLJ77
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by KLJ77 »

Thanks for that write up, Dan. It's nice to know that a company is listening to their consumers / knifers. That says a lot about SMKW. ::tu::
LJ

"The problems we face today are there because the people who work for a living are now outnumbered by those that vote for a living."
Old Folder
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Old Folder »

KLJ77 wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 12:48 am Thanks for that write up, Dan. It's nice to know that a company is listening to their consumers / knifers. That says a lot about SMKW. ::tu::
Thanks LJ.
I had the same thoughts as you when I read that Smoky was listening and answering live questions online.

Dan
Dan
Old Folder
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Old Folder »

"They're baaaaack!"

Part of Round 2 of the Rough Ryder Reserve line is still on the slow boat from China. I have posted an actual picture of the new RRR Pattern 007 below. No, I did not steal it from the CPC, ::paranoid:: it is from SMKW. The Pattern 007 is called the "Nomad Folding Hunter."

Sorry, I do not have any information on the other patterns: (RRR: 005-006-008) :(

The Rough Ryder Reserve Nomad Folding Hunter (Pattern 007) features a 3.125" D2 tool steel drop point blade with a brushed satin finish and a comet-tail fuller. This lockback has natural tan canvas Micarta handles with nickel silver pins, brass liners, and brushed steel bolsters. It has a nickel silver Triple-R Arrowhead shield and a brass lanyard tube. It's 4.25" closed and 7.375" fully open. The 007 Nomad is the first locking knife in the Rough Ryder Reserve line. It comes packed in a collectible Rough Ryder Reserve Tube Tin and includes a Rough Ryder Reserve microfiber cleaning cloth.

Please note: This knife is in transit. It is not listed on the Smoky web site yet, but should be posted in the near future, unfortunately I do not have a issue price.

I really like the new "Lockback Hunter" and I think it's a great addition to the first four.

AAPK Second series RRR Nomad Rough Ryder Reserve.jpg
Dan
Dan
zed6309
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by zed6309 »

Old Folder wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 7:35 am "They're baaaaack!"

Part of Round 2 of the Rough Ryder Reserve line is still on the slow boat from China. I have posted an actual picture of the new RRR Pattern 007 below. No, I did not steal it from the CPC, ::paranoid:: it is from SMKW. The Pattern 007 is called the "Nomad Folding Hunter."

Sorry, I do not have any information on the other patterns: (RRR: 005-006-008) :(

The Rough Ryder Reserve Nomad Folding Hunter (Pattern 007) features a 3.125" D2 tool steel drop point blade with a brushed satin finish and a comet-tail fuller. This lockback has natural tan canvas Micarta handles with nickel silver pins, brass liners, and brushed steel bolsters. It has a nickel silver Triple-R Arrowhead shield and a brass lanyard tube. It's 4.25" closed and 7.375" fully open. The 007 Nomad is the first locking knife in the Rough Ryder Reserve line. It comes packed in a collectible Rough Ryder Reserve Tube Tin and includes a Rough Ryder Reserve microfiber cleaning cloth.

Please note: This knife is in transit. It is not listed on the Smoky web site yet, but should be posted in the near future, unfortunately I do not have a issue price.

I really like the new "Lockback Hunter" and I think it's a great addition to the first four.

Dan
Thanks for sharing Dan ::tu:: I like that a lot , cant wait too see what the others are like , I'm really hoping for a Barlow or a nice stockman ::tu::
Paul,

friendship is a rare and precious gift,
A day without a pocket knife is the day your need it,
KLJ77
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by KLJ77 »

Thanks for the info, Dan. ::tu:: That is a nice looking folder, and it being a lock back, I may just have to pick that one up.

As a side note: I pulled the trigger on the Old Southwest series...got all six of them. After looking at them for the past two months, I finally decided that this series was just too attractive and detailed to pass up.
LJ

"The problems we face today are there because the people who work for a living are now outnumbered by those that vote for a living."
Old Folder
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Old Folder »

zed6309 wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 11:39 am

Dan
Thanks for sharing Dan ::tu:: I like that a lot , cant wait too see what the others are like , I'm really hoping for a Barlow or a nice stockman ::tu::
You're welcome Paul.
I would imagine that a Barlow and Stockman are on their radar?

Dan
Dan
zed6309
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by zed6309 »

Old Folder wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 8:25 pm
zed6309 wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 11:39 am

Dan
You're welcome Paul.
I would imagine that a Barlow and Stockman are on their radar?

Dan
Fingers crossed Dan , I'll defantly get a Barlow if they do it right ::tu::
Paul,

Old Folder
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Old Folder »

KLJ77 wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 1:41 pm Thanks for the info, Dan. ::tu:: That is a nice looking folder, and it being a lock back, I may just have to pick that one up.

As a side note: I pulled the trigger on the Old Southwest series...got all six of them. After looking at them for the past two months, I finally decided that this series was just too attractive and detailed to pass up.
Great decision on the Old Southwest series LJ ::nod::.
The Old Southwest series are much more attractive in hand. Let us know after you receive them.
I also totally agree on the lockback feature on the new RRR007. Can't wait.

Dan
Dan
Old Folder
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Old Folder »

"They're baaaaack!" (#2)

Here's a sneak peek at the Triple-R Pattern 5 HedgeHog. No prices yet, but SMKW will let us know as soon as they can.

Rough Ryder Reserve HedgeHog Pattern 005
Item Number: RRR005

The Rough Ryder Reserve HedgeHog (Pattern 005) is a modern take on the Muskrat pattern designed by Andy Armstrong. It's an equal-ended cigar pattern jack with a D2 tool steel sabre clip point blade at one end and a Wharncliffe blade at the other. Both blades have a brushed satin finish, match strike pulls, half stops, and heavy swedging. The handles are black canvas Micarta with a nickel silver Triple-R Arrowhead shield. It also has nickel silver pins, brushed steel striped bolsters, and brass liners. It's 3.875"

This RRR Series keeps getting better and better, I especially like the Wharncliffe blade on the Pattern 005. Also note that "Andy Armstrong" mentioned above is a SMKW employee, he designed this pattern and also designed the earlier RRR Barback that had a lot of controversy? However, I like the Barback.

RRR 005 HedgeHog.jpg
I will post other RRR pictures when I can obtain them. (Two remaining RRR006 & RRR008) left in the second series. ::groove::

Dan
Dan
Louisville.Boy1947

Post by Louisville.Boy1947 »

I am really looking forward to that 007 being in stock. Looks like a good carry knife. Thanks Dan for posting all the inside info on these knives. I know I appreciate it. ::tu:: ::tu:: ::tu::
Old Folder
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Old Folder »

"They're baaaaack!" (#3)
Here is the third of the four new Rough Ryder Reserve in the series #2 group. (Not yet posted for sale on the smkw web site) As of today, Tuesday, February 9, 2021, I have shown the new and upcoming RRR005 and the RRR007, both pictured in my above posts, and the below RRR008. Still waiting for my "Insider information" on the RRR006, which will be the last of the series #2. More RRR series are scheduled to be released in the near future. ::tu::

So...this "Common Stock" RRR008 is exactly that, a common serpentine stockman pattern to include a cap lifter. Perhaps the "common" caplifter/bottle opener was designed and implemented in the this pattern to keep all the cry babies happy, yes, I'm referring to the RRR004 Barback.

Here's a sneak peek at the Triple-R 008 pattern, the official name is: "Common Stock"

The Rough Ryder Reserve Common Stock (Pattern 008) is a three-bladed serpentine stockman that features a main clip point blade, a smaller sheepsfoot blade, and a cap lifter/screwdriver blade. It's the perfect stockman for the common man. All of the blades are D2 tool steel with a brushed satin finish and match strike pulls, half stops, and deep swedging. The handles are black canvas Micarta with a nickel silver Triple-R Arrowhead shield. It also has nickel silver pins, brushed steel striped bolsters, and brass liners. It's 4.25" closed and comes packed in a collectible Rough Ryder Reserve Tube Tin with a Rough Ryder Reserve microfiber cleaning cloth.

RRR0008 Common Stock Series 2.jpg
I will post a picture of the final Rough Ryder Reserve (RRR006) after I receive the information.
Looks like a great series #2 collection.

Dan
Dan
zed6309
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by zed6309 »

Dan I like that 8) going on its frame size I'm wondering how big the main blade is ? Got to be 3inches or under to be uk legal :? Thanks for sharing mate ::tu::
Paul,

Louisville.Boy1947

Post by Louisville.Boy1947 »

Thanks Dan for keeping us updated. Definitely one that I will be buying when they become available. ::nod::
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Old Folder wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 8:55 pm "They're baaaaack!" (#2)

Here's a sneak peek at the Triple-R Pattern 5 HedgeHog. No prices yet, but SMKW will let us know as soon as they can.

Rough Ryder Reserve HedgeHog Pattern 005
Item Number: RRR005

The Rough Ryder Reserve HedgeHog (Pattern 005) is a modern take on the Muskrat pattern designed by Andy Armstrong. It's an equal-ended cigar pattern jack with a D2 tool steel sabre clip point blade at one end and a Wharncliffe blade at the other. Both blades have a brushed satin finish, match strike pulls, half stops, and heavy swedging. The handles are black canvas Micarta with a nickel silver Triple-R Arrowhead shield. It also has nickel silver pins, brushed steel striped bolsters, and brass liners. It's 3.875"

This RRR Series keeps getting better and better, I especially like the Wharncliffe blade on the Pattern 005. Also note that "Andy Armstrong" mentioned above is a SMKW employee, he designed this pattern and also designed the earlier RRR Barback that had a lot of controversy? However, I like the Barback.

RRR 005 HedgeHog.jpg

I will post other RRR pictures when I can obtain them. (Two remaining RRR006 & RRR008) left in the second series. ::groove::

Dan
In the style of the "Hawbaker" Muskrat. I really like that pattern but can't bring myself to pay $50 for a Rough Rider (or is it Ryder?). I'm predicting that in a couple of years, all the under $20 Rough Riders will have disappeared never to be seen again. Just sayin'............ I hope I'm wrong.
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

I just received my first of these RR Reserve knives, a 3 5/8" Kayak and a 4 1/2" Swell Center Whittler. I am very impressed with everything even the packaging which includes a polishing cloth. Blades are ultra sharp and all blade action is tight and crisp. The important thing to know is that these are stout solid heavy knives. They are not the slender light weight, disappear into you pocket type of knives.
The liners, bolsters and springs are all thicker than on a GEC of the same size. They are also heavier, 101 grams for the Kayak compared to 83 grams for a GEC Gabon Ebony 782217 which is 3/16" longer.
Being thicker, heavier and stronger does not make it 'better than'. For most of us on most days we do not need a heavy duty pocket knife. A more slender lighter weight pocket knife is all we need and it is less noticeable when in your pocket.
But if you are going to be gardening, camping, cutting up boxes, etc. this is the knife to use.
The D2 blades are hair poppin' sharp and with this steel should be able to maintain this sharpness better than 'average'.
These RRR knives are definitely worthy of being in a new stand alone line of RR knives because they are significantly different from all previous RR's.
I think these are likely The Best work-type folding knife you can buy. They may be others as good, but not better and likely they are much more expensive than the $50-$60 price range of the RRR's.
kj
Attachments
IMGP0577.JPG
IMGP0578.JPG
IMGP0579.JPG
IMGP0580.JPG
IMGP0581.JPG
IMGP0582.JPG
IMGP0583.JPG
IMGP0584.JPG
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

A few more pictures.
kj
Attachments
IMGP0585.JPG
IMGP0586.JPG
IMGP0587.JPG
IMGP0588.JPG
IMGP0589.JPG
IMGP0590.JPG
IMGP0591.JPG
Railsplitter
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Railsplitter »

Thanks for your thoughts, Roland. I've been looking at the Kayak ever since they came out. I believe the blade steel is D2, not VG-10.
Rick T.

"My knife money maketh itself wings!" mb>

Proud member of the Buck Collectors Club Inc.
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Rick, thank you for the correction. I changed VG-10 to D2 in my post.
kj

Return to “Chinese-made knives”