New Rough Ryder Christmas Knife

A place to discuss & share pictures of knives made in China.
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: New Rough Ryder Christmas Knife

Post by jerryd6818 »

Dan if you have an issue with another member, please take it private. It's one of the things PMs are for. It damages the perception of the forum when a member lambastes another member in open forum. Plus, I for one, don't enjoy reading that sort of thing.

As David said, Peace Brothers. ::handshake::
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
Modern Slip Joints

Post by Modern Slip Joints »

Without touching the larger topic of whether we should be buying Chinese products at all I want to hoist this thread back up on the rails and answer Old Folder's request for our opinion on the Moose he bought.

I did not pay any attention to Rough Ryder's odd Moose before adding two of them onto a SMKW order on a whim. Their up swept point second blade is unusual if not unique. It has a lot more useful curve than the common long spay blade in most other makers' moose knives. The 4" RR version would be improved by adding a third spring powering a straight edge blade in the sheep's foot/lamb's foot/Wharncliff family. Since the knife already has a fine point on its clip master I'd go with a lamb's foot. However, they must be selling well with their present two blades or SMKW would not keep adding additional side cover options.

I bypassed the colorful Christmas version and bought Brown Stag Bone and for a whole $9.99 Black Cherry Bone. If I could have only one it would be Brown Stag Bone. Smooth and sometimes slippery side covers like the Christmas version and my Black Cherry Bone are not my first choice but Black Cherry Bone is growing on me. That one's in my pocket. It is better looking than I expected.

A couple of members complained the Christmas Moose is too big. Rough Ryder's answer is their 1/2" shorter Small Moose. They look so similar that I have to read the descriptions to learn which size I'm looking at. SMKW has RR Small Moose with 9 different side covers. I'm considering adding one to what ever I order next from SMKW. Paying for one is easy. The hard part is choosing a side cover.
treefarmer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by treefarmer »

I got the Black Cherry Bone Moose in the mail today. As I stated in another thread, I think the knife looks a bit gaudy but as you commented, the spay looks very promising with its useful curve as a deer knife. Time will tell.
Treefarmer

A GUN IN THE HAND IS BETTER THAN A COP ON THE PHONE.
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

I bought a small Rough Ryder Moose out of curiosity. Meah, it's okay. Nothing wrong with the knife physically, it just doesn't make my heart go pitty-pat.
Including tax, $16.83 from atlanticknife.
Attachments
Rough Ryder RR1952 Small Moose Blue Smooth Bone - Labeled.JPG
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

Carrmillus, you humor is fine with me. I don't see any thing sinister in it. ::nod:: ::nod:: ::handshake::
Modern Slip Joints

Post by Modern Slip Joints »

jerryd6818 wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 12:53 pm I bought a small Rough Ryder Moose out of curiosity. Meah, it's okay. Nothing wrong with the knife physically, it just doesn't make my heart go pitty-pat.
You made two mistakes that combined created a "meah" purchase. First, you are just not into curves. Well, in women maybe, but not in blades. If a 6207 and 6207W had the same side covers I can't imagine you choosing the 6207. The RR Moose are all about maximizing the curve. Second you over paid by 68%. Your Turquoise Blue Bone Moose is a $9.99 knife. I do not buy individual RRs because shipping kills the bargain. I bought a $70 Case 6254SS from SMKW. Shipping is free if you buy over $75. A lower priced RR costs about the same as shipping. Next time you buy a Case Mini-T see if SMKW has it then, instead of paying shipping, add an RR or two that have a Wharncliff or something close to it. The RRs still will probably not make your "heart go pitty-pat" but they won't give you that "meah" feeling either.

By the way, I bought SMKWs 6254 Trapper that has 50 years of tang stamps on its spay blade and bone. Despite the 6254 having more space devoted to tang stamps than any of the other patterns in the series it could have been a more useful reference if the tang stamps on the blade were easier to read. Also they left out tang stamps used in the early and late 1990s. I'm glad that I bought it anyway.
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Modern Slip Joints wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 7:37 pm
jerryd6818 wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 12:53 pm I bought a small Rough Ryder Moose out of curiosity. Meah, it's okay. Nothing wrong with the knife physically, it just doesn't make my heart go pitty-pat.
You made two mistakes that combined created a "meah" purchase.Well, in women maybe, but not in blades.
First, you are just not into curves. Not true. It was the curve of the "spey blade" that drew me to the knife.

If a 6207 and 6207W had the same side covers I can't imagine you choosing the 6207. True. If the price was the same or very close, I'd go tor the 07W every time.

Second you over paid by 68%. Your Turquoise Blue Bone Moose is a $9.99 knife. I noticed that while scrolling through a SMKW catalog a few days ago. But here's the deal, I seldom buy from SMKW and when I do, it's usually a single knife and since you are so tuned in to SMKW and their prices you know that with shipping the price would have been about equal to my eBay purchase that had free shipping. So six of one, half dozen of the other. As you say, shipping kills the bargain.

And last but not least, it's a rare occasion that I pay $70 or more for any of the Mini-T's that I buy and I seldom pay for shipping so SMKW free shipping for an order over $75 is not an enticement for me. Plus of late I've been buying the older Mini-T's that SMKW doesn't have available.

We each have our own way of doing things and I'm comfortable with mine as I'm sure you are with yours. ::handshake::
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
Old Folder
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Old Folder »

carrmillus;
I owe you an apology for my post concerning your "does it come with the virus????." post.
After re-reading my post in reference to yours, I can see that I was completely out of line. My apologies to you sir, and all other members of aapk. My language was improper.
::handshake::

Referring to my original post, I received my "ROUGH RYDER CARAMEL CANDY CHRISTMAS LARGE MOOSE" (RR2199) a couple days ago. And yes, as you can see by the dimensions below, it is as big as a "moose." A real handful, I like it.
"2020" engraved on the shield, but you would not know that it represents Christmas until you open the reversed frosted blades. You could use this as a edc, not having to worry about being looked at funny for displaying "Santa Claus" or "Rudolph" in July or August.
The carmel and green resin handles with genuine pearl accents, brass liners, nickel silver spacers really make it stand out. The workmanship is excellent. Clip/Skinner blades razor sharp.
Dan

IMG_0009.JPG
IMG_0010.JPG
IMG_0011.JPG
IMG_0012.JPG
It's always important to know what you don't know.
Dan
edge213
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by edge213 »

Old Folder wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 5:00 am carrmillus;
I owe you an apology for my post concerning your "does it come with the virus????." post.
After re-reading my post in reference to yours, I can see that I was completely out of line. My apologies to you sir, and all other members of aapk. My language was improper.

Referring to my original post, I received my "ROUGH RYDER CARAMEL CANDY CHRISTMAS LARGE MOOSE" (RR2199) a couple days ago. And yes, as you can see by the dimensions below, it is as big as a "moose." A real handful, I like it.
"2020" engraved on the shield, but you would not know that it represents Christmas until you open the reversed frosted blades. You could use this as a edc, not having to worry about being looked at funny for displaying "Santa Claus" or "Rudolph" in July or August.
The carmel and green resin handles with genuine pearl accents, brass liners, nickel silver spacers really make it stand out. The workmanship is excellent. Clip/Skinner blades razor sharp.
Dan

IMG_0009.JPGIMG_0010.JPGIMG_0011.JPGIMG_0012.JPG

Sure are pretty handles.
David
"Glowing like the metal on the edge of a knife" Meat Loaf
dlr110
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by dlr110 »

Very nice Dan, hope you enjoy it this holiday season. ::tu::
David R (United States Navy Retired)
Don't just count your many blessings, be the blessing others count on!
Visit my website: Woodburning Art by David https://www.wdbydavid.com/
Old Folder
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Old Folder »

Sure are pretty handles.

dlr110 wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 11:45 am Very nice Dan, hope you enjoy it this holiday season. ::tu::

Thank you David & David R

The handles do look very tasty.
Dan
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

I like the 2020 embossed in the bolster.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

That's a cool looking knife, Dan. Looks like something Frank Buster would have designed. ::tu::
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
Reverand
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Reverand »

Not really my style, but I would expect it to be a well-made knife, like most Rough Ryder knives. The few I own are really good quality, with attention to detail.

And Old Folder, it was really good of you to make that apology. I didn't think that the statement was too far out of line, but some might.
My Dad always said that it takes a bigger man to admit a mistake, than to carry on with one.
I respect you for that.
Jesus is life.
Everything else is just a hobby.

~Reverand
Old Folder
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Old Folder »

Reverand wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 12:22 am Not really my style, but I would expect it to be a well-made knife, like most Rough Ryder knives. The few I own are really good quality, with attention to detail.

And Old Folder, it was really good of you to make that apology. I didn't think that the statement was too far out of line, but some might.
My Dad always said that it takes a bigger man to admit a mistake, than to carry on with one.
I respect you for that.
Thank you very much for that Reverand.
Dan
Dan

Return to “Chinese-made knives”