Rough Ryders new Green & Blue VG-10 knives.

A place to discuss & share pictures of knives made in China.
Old Folder
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Rough Ryders new Green & Blue VG-10 knives.

Post by Old Folder »

Two new Slip Joint Folders from Rough Ryder.
The new Blue and Green VG-10 Slip Joint Folders feature a 3.25" VG 10 stainless steel clip point blade with a polished finish. They feature one blue and one green aluminum handled with a lanyard hole. They are 4" closed and 7.25" overall.
They sell for $14.99 each at smkw.
Oldtowncutlery is selling them for $24.95 each. ::uc:: They state that they only have 4 left.
Fit & Finish is excellent. Blades are perfectly centered. Half stops, no gaps.
Dan

IMG_0002 (2).JPG
IMG_0005 (1).JPG
IMG_0004 (1).JPG
IMG_0006 (1).JPG
IMG_0008.JPG
It's always important to know what you don't know.
Dan
dlr110
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Rough Ryders new Green & Blue VG-10 knives.

Post by dlr110 »

Old Folder wrote: Sun Dec 13, 2020 9:13 am Two new Slip Joint Folders from Rough Ryder.
The new Blue and Green VG-10 Slip Joint Folders feature a 3.25" VG 10 stainless steel clip point blade with a polished finish. They feature one blue and one green aluminum handled with a lanyard hole. They are 4" closed and 7.25" overall.
Oldtowncutlery is selling them for $24.95 each. ::uc:: They state that they only have 4 left.
Dan

IMG_0002 (2).JPGIMG_0005 (1).JPGIMG_0004 (1).JPGIMG_0006 (1).JPGIMG_0008.JPG
Nice looking knives Dan, but do you really like the aluminum handles?
David R (United States Navy Retired)
Don't just count your many blessings, be the blessing others count on!
Visit my website: Woodburning Art by David https://www.wdbydavid.com/
cody6268

Post by cody6268 »

I really like the shape of the pattern, but it's just screaming for wood, stag, bone, or G-10. Aluminum is fine smooth, or patterned, but jigged just doesn't look right. Same with bolsters--all bolsters should be metal, but RR has been putting out a ton with G-10 bolsters for some reason.

I'm going to SMKW's site to order one, but may get it rehandled.
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Dan, are these VG-10 blades as super sharp as the 'usual' RR traditional style folders ?
I have had such a positive experience using the traditional style RR folders with whatever stainless steel they use for blades that i don't see any need for VG-10. The 'regular' blades edge hold very well and VG-10 likely will be harder to re-sharpen.
I agree that this new VG-10 knife would look much better with jigged bone handles and N/S bolsters. I guess RR wanted the VG-10 knives to stand out and be easily identified as 'not your regular RR'.
kj
Old Folder
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Old Folder »

dlr110 wrote: Sun Dec 13, 2020 1:33 pm
Old Folder wrote: Sun Dec 13, 2020 9:13 am Two new Slip Joint Folders from Rough Ryder.
Dan

Thanks David.
I must admit, I paused a bit before I hit the "Buy Now" button. As usual, smkw's pictures need attention.
I am now happy I made the purchase. I love these knives. Two of the best Rough Ryders I have.
If you order one (or the two) I think you'll be pleased.
Dan
Dan
Old Folder
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Old Folder »

cody6268 wrote: Sun Dec 13, 2020 3:07 pm I really like the shape of the pattern, but it's just screaming for wood, stag, bone, or G-10. Aluminum is fine smooth, or patterned, but jigged just doesn't look right. Same with bolsters--all bolsters should be metal, but RR has been putting out a ton with G-10 bolsters for some reason.

I'm going to SMKW's site to order one, but may get it rehandled.
Glad to hear that you ordered one Cody. ::nod::
"Re handling" is a option, however, the current bolster is integrated with the handle and is "painted" black. I know, sounds cheap, but after having them in my hand, I personally wouldn't change a thing.
What would you call the Jigging? I have no idea.
I think that after you hold it in your hand, you won't change it?
Let us know your opinion after you receive it.
Dan
Dan
Old Folder
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Old Folder »

kootenay joe wrote: Sun Dec 13, 2020 6:28 pm Dan, are these VG-10 blades as super sharp as the 'usual' RR traditional style folders ?
I have had such a positive experience using the traditional style RR folders with whatever stainless steel they use for blades that i don't see any need for VG-10. The 'regular' blades edge hold very well and VG-10 likely will be harder to re-sharpen.
I agree that this new VG-10 knife would look much better with jigged bone handles and N/S bolsters. I guess RR wanted the VG-10 knives to stand out and be easily identified as 'not your regular RR'.
kj
Hey Roland.
Yes, blades are razor sharp!
Once it is in your hand, I think you'll be happy with it as it is.
I agree with you that RR wants this knife "to stand out and be easily identified as not your regular RR". They certainly succeeded.
I watched a YouTube video last night posted by "JerseyKnifeGuy" he has added his excitement better than I can, check it out and let me know your opinion.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eweeXbq ... RoH37R4UZg

The "Marbles bone Sod Buster" he describes is also now on my want list. I should stop watching these youtube knife video's, they're costing me too much moolah.
Dan
Dan
edge213
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by edge213 »

*No offense meant to anyone*
These knives are butt ugly.
Metal handles, G10 bolsters, seems backwards.
David
"Glowing like the metal on the edge of a knife" Meat Loaf
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

edge213 wrote: Sun Dec 13, 2020 11:31 pm *No offense meant to anyone*
But NOT ugly to everyone. RR makes such a huge variety of knives everyone can find some patterns that they really like. We don't have to like them all and maybe inhand these get more likeable.
kj
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Dan i would love to order one of these but with the USA/Canada border closed (since March 2020) i cannot use my USA shipping address.
Means i have bought almost no knives since Covid arrived.
kj
edge213
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by edge213 »

kootenay joe wrote: Tue Dec 15, 2020 12:02 am
edge213 wrote: Sun Dec 13, 2020 11:31 pm *No offense meant to anyone*
But NOT ugly to everyone. RR makes such a huge variety of knives everyone can find some patterns that they really like. We don't have to like them all and maybe inhand these get more likeable.
kj
I realize that.
That's why I stated "*No offense meant to anyone*".
David
"Glowing like the metal on the edge of a knife" Meat Loaf
Old Folder
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Old Folder »

kootenay joe wrote: Tue Dec 15, 2020 12:04 am Dan i would love to order one of these but with the USA/Canada border closed (since March 2020) i cannot use my USA shipping address.
kj
That sucks Roland. :x
Is it possible to have someone order/receive a knife for you in the U.S. and then mail it to you?

And I agree with you that some members may not like some patterns/colors of RR knives. SMKW's lousy picture quality does not help, and yes, RR is not afraid to venture into new territories with knife designs and go into the older patterns. Perhaps that's why they outsell other knife manufacturers?

Dan
Dan
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Colonel26 »

I’m not a RR guy, but I must say I like those. I wish the bolster want black though. The real impressive thing is the VG-10! I know it’s not a super steel, but if it’s anything like the VG-10 used in Spydercos it’s great stuff imo.
“There are things in the old Book which I may not be able to explain, but I fully accept it as the infallible word of God, and receive its teachings as inspired by the Holy Spirit.”
Robert E. Lee
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

Thanks for posting these, Dan. Can they be easily taken apart? If so I might paint them up a little differently. Not Mandalorian style though! ::super_happy:: On a closer look, they look anodized.

Side question- did SMKW do their Christmas specials like previous years? If so I missed them.
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
Old Folder
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Old Folder »

1967redrider wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 1:27 am Thanks for posting these, Dan. Can they be easily taken apart? If so I might paint them up a little differently. Not Mandalorian style though! ::super_happy:: On a closer look, they look anodized.

Side question- did SMKW do their Christmas specials like previous years? If so I missed them.
Yes...only three 'torx' screws hold it together, no blade liners, only two handles, one back spring and one blade. Four pieces total, (plus three torx screws.)
Easy to paint. Sounds like fun.

I do not know if the below was a Christmas special, however, they did have a program last month (november 2020) and into the first couple weeks of December with the ability to receive freebies depending on how much you spend $$$.
I received three of the four items. Guess I did not spend enough to qualify for the fourth item, a victorinox multi blade?
However, I did receive the below items.
A Swedish 'Morakniv 511' 8" fixed blade with blade locking plastic sheath, very good workmanship & razor sharp.
A 'Cold Steel Kudu Lite' folder with a half stop, also well made. (My first Cold Steel knife, very nice.)
And a 8"x8" smkw EDC tray. I do not know how I lived without this, very handy, I use it daily.
All the items were very impressively made, and very good quality.
Dan

IMG_0001 (5).JPG
IMG_0002 (3).JPG
Dan
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

Old Folder wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 10:33 pm
1967redrider wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 1:27 am Thanks for posting these, Dan. Can they be easily taken apart? If so I might paint them up a little differently. Not Mandalorian style though! ::super_happy:: On a closer look, they look anodized.

Yes...only three 'torx' screws hold it together, no blade liners, only two handles, one back spring and one blade. Four pieces total, (plus three torx screws.)
Easy to paint. Sounds like fun.

I do not know if the below was a Christmas special, however, they did have a program last month (november 2020) and into the first couple weeks of December with the ability to receive freebies depending on how much you spend $$$.
I received three of the four items. Guess I did not spend enough to qualify for the fourth item, a victorinox multi blade?
However, I did receive the below items.
A Swedish 'Morakniv 511' 8" fixed blade with blade locking plastic sheath, very good workmanship & razor sharp.
A 'Cold Steel Kudu Lite' folder with a half stop, also well made. (My first Cold Steel knife, very nice.)
And a 8"x8" smkw EDC tray. I do not know how I lived without this, very handy, I use it daily.
All the items were very impressively made, and very good quality.
Dan

IMG_0001 (5).JPGIMG_0002 (3).JPG

Very cool and thanks for the info! 😉👍👍
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
WillyCamaro

Post by WillyCamaro »

kootenay joe wrote: Tue Dec 15, 2020 12:04 am Dan i would love to order one of these but with the USA/Canada border closed (since March 2020) i cannot use my USA shipping address.
kj
Hey Roland, don't you have a p.o. box in your nearest town?
I get all my knives shipped to my small town box, never had an issue.
?
"Never, never, never give up."
Winston Churchill

Take therefore no thought for the morrow: for the morrow shall take thought for the things of itself. Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof.
Matthew 6:34
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

WillyCamaro wrote: Fri Dec 25, 2020 2:53 am
kj
?
Willy are you saying that SMKW ships to your Canadian address ?
kj
WillyCamaro

Post by WillyCamaro »

kootenay joe wrote: Fri Dec 25, 2020 3:18 pm
WillyCamaro wrote: Fri Dec 25, 2020 2:53 am
kj
?
Willy are you saying that SMKW ships to your Canadian address ?
kj
They should, they state it in their S&H terms.
Just have to do it by phone, website ain't setup for it.
https://www.smkw.com/shipping-handling
"Never, never, never give up."
Winston Churchill

Take therefore no thought for the morrow: for the morrow shall take thought for the things of itself. Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof.
Matthew 6:34
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Thanks Willi. I tried calling SMKW a few days ago and hung up after 1/2 hour on hold. I'll try again in a few days. Maybe they will be less busy ?
kj
jonbowie

Post by jonbowie »

Nice looking knives. Can't help but agree with those who feel that the handle/bolster material use is backward. I keep noticing that some folks label blades VG 10 and others VG 1. Is it the same stuff? What ever it is, if it is the same stuff as my old Cold Steel Voyageur X2 from Japan (which someone on Ebay now seems to think is a valuable collectors item) it is VERY nice steel it takes and hold a seriously sharp edge. Mine is a bit brittle though, but I don't know if that is the steel, or just how mine was treated. If you like the KUDU, you would be impressed with other Cold Steel. IMHO, the Kudu is by far the cheesiest of what I have seen from CS, there's a reason they give them as premiums. Also, most of my CS items are from some time ago when more were from Japan and Taiwan so.....
Is there a particular forum where folks in the know talk about the various blade steels? I don't have any experience with the new "super" steels; I used to think VG 10 qualified, but I am behind the times! It's tough to beat well treated high carbon, so I haven't been that adventurous. I just got my first D2 and it seems impressive, though it is a bit of a challenge to work....not that I'm the first to notice...of course that is what makes it good to start with!
dlr110
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by dlr110 »

Old Folder wrote: Sun Dec 13, 2020 7:42 pm
dlr110 wrote: Sun Dec 13, 2020 1:33 pm
Dan

Thanks David.
I must admit, I paused a bit before I hit the "Buy Now" button. As usual, smkw's pictures need attention.
I am now happy I made the purchase. I love these knives. Two of the best Rough Ryders I have.
If you order one (or the two) I think you'll be pleased.
Dan
Okay Dan I finally made up my simple mind and ordered them. They should be here by the middle of the week providing USPS can still find Ponder.
Old Folder
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Old Folder »

::groove:: Glad to hear that Dave.
I'll wait for your opinion. ::nod::

Dan
Dan
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

David, i have a blue & a green VG-10 RR knives thanks to Old Folder Dan. You will be very impressed especially so if you like thin grinds and ultra sharp edges.
kj
dlr110
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by dlr110 »

kootenay joe wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 1:41 am David, i have a blue & a green VG-10 RR knives thanks to Old Folder Dan. You will be very impressed especially so if you like thin grinds and ultra sharp edges.
kj
I'm betting I'm going to like them. I'll make a post here when I get them. Thanks kj. ::tu::

Return to “Chinese-made knives”