China Queens.

A place to discuss & share pictures of knives made in China.
bighomer

China Queens.

Post by bighomer »

Pretty neat knives.
Attachments
20210310_162853.jpg
20210310_162859.jpg
edge213
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: China Queens.

Post by edge213 »

China Queens, what a shame. I will pass.
David
"Glowing like the metal on the edge of a knife" Meat Loaf
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

I have not seen these before. How long have they been available ?
Bighomer are these your knives ? If so, how about a mini-review.
kj
bighomer

Post by bighomer »

Yes they are mine.Roland I just found them on the bay, you know the ole song knice f&f for the price point. They are in my opinion RR's with the Queen shields and tang stamps. They are stamped on all blades. The saw cut bones are very pretty imho.
It's a sacrilege to all Queen accumulaters I know. They are much nicer than the Bear & Son made Queen City knives, again imho ymmv. ::handshake::
PS If you put these on your watch list, the sellers will send you a email with a 5% discount, ain't much but beats nothing. ::groove::
treefarmer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by treefarmer »

bighomer, I noticed your post yesterday and noticed the trapper pattern at the bottom of the picture, does it have a double nail nick on the clip? The "match strike"s made me think of RR, too. ::hmm::
Agreed, it seems sacrilegious. ::nod::
Treefarmer

A GUN IN THE HAND IS BETTER THAN A COP ON THE PHONE.
bighomer

Post by bighomer »

Here you go farmer
20210311_151623.jpg
20210311_151605.jpg
Here's a couple of older RR'S. The buckshot is a later model and the Queen is almost identical to it .both with half stops.
All the Queens have half stops. The canoes blade profile to me is almost identical. The nail nicks are different. But ::shrug::
Attachments
20210311_152652.jpg
20210311_152920.jpg
cody6268

Post by cody6268 »

bighomer wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 1:16 pm Yes they are mine.Roland I just found them on the bay, you know the ole song knice f&f for the price point. They are in my opinion RR's with the Queen shields and tang stamps. They are stamped on all blades. The saw cut bones are very pretty imho.
It's a sacrilege to all Queen accumulaters I know. They are much nicer than the Bear & Son made Queen City knives, again imho ymmv. ::handshake::
PS If you put these on your watch list, the sellers will send you a email with a 5% discount, ain't much but beats nothing. ::groove::
An eBay seller once had several lots of used small scale model construction equipment that I felt were just a little expensive, and I put all of them in my watch list--I ended up getting an offer for 50% off on all of those--and I bought every one I was watching. Usually, though, the discounts are quite small--5-15% at the most.
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

From the pictures Bighomer has posted i think these Queens look great ! I think they will be fine users and good to give as gifts. I bet the edges are shaving sharp just like Rough Riders.
Once the Canada/USA border re-opens and i can use my USA shipping address i will buy a couple of these new Queens.
kj
bighomer

Post by bighomer »

Yes Roland just like the RR's they are sharp right out of the box, fine knives for edc. ::handshake::
Old Folder
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Old Folder »

Being that SMKW owns all rights to Queen now, I am surprised that other sellers have these for sale before Smoky. Perhaps they received the knives before SMKW?
Below is Chicago Knife Works website that are currently selling the new Queen knives. There are five knives currently available and the prices are very reasonable, and as of this posting are still in stock.
https://www.chicagoknifeworks.com/?s=qu ... derby=date

The picture and prices quoted below are from Chicagoknifeworks.
IMG_0001 (16).JPG

Some ebay sellers are selling these for over twice the price that Chicagoknifeworks are, and are receiving many buyers.
If the new Queen Brown Bone Sawcut knives are of the same quality of Chinese made Queen City Black Pearl and Abalone, I'll be content.
I have them on order and will post my opinions after I receive them next week.

Out of "Quality Curiosity" I searched other sites, to include (YouTube & Facebook Groups) for other opinions. The results are very good to excellent.

Dan
It's always important to know what you don't know.
Dan
bighomer

Post by bighomer »

Old Folder wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 7:48 pm Being that SMKW owns all rights to Queen now, I am surprised that other sellers have these for sale before Smoky. Perhaps they received the knives before SMKW?
Below is Chicago Knife Works website that are currently selling the new Queen knives. There are five knives currently available and the prices are very reasonable, and as of this posting are still in stock.
https://www.chicagoknifeworks.com/?s=qu ... derby=date

The picture and prices quoted below are from Chicagoknifeworks.
IMG_0001 (16).JPG

Some ebay sellers are selling these for over twice the price that Chicagoknifeworks are, and are receiving many buyers.
If the new Queen Brown Bone Sawcut knives are of the same quality of Chinese made Queen City Black Pearl and Abalone, I'll be content.
I have them on order and will post my opinions after I receive them next week.

Out of "Quality Curiosity" I searched other sites, to include (YouTube & Facebook Groups) for other opinions. The results are very good to excellent.

Dan
Those are better prices than I paid even with the 5% discount and free shipping that I got. I think you will be pleased with them. I wonder if old smokey is getting ripped off ::shrug:: on the name, probably not. It's funny that SMKW is using Queen City and these use Queen. As I reported earlier imho these are made in the same factory as RR's and a better knife than Queen City knives made by B&S.
YMMV
Old Folder
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Old Folder »

I am hoping for the best on quality and workmanship for the newly released 'Queen Sawcut Bone Knives' I'll post my results after receiving them later this week.

Patent Laws must be adhered to. Chicago Knife Works, which I mentioned above had to of purchased their Queens through smkw, however that works, I don't know.
I do know that SMKW owns Queen Cutlery Company, Queen and Queen City. Perhaps CKW received their Sawcut knives via aircraft travel, or their boat went through the harbor and customs faster? I assume smkw have their Queen Sawcut knives in their warehouse, however, SMKW sells thousands upon thousands of knives and are most likely constantly run on a backed up schedule for posting. (I do wish smkw would improve their picture quality though,) Their picture quality has been mentioned before.

SMKW has many production sites within China, though many members here refer to it as "Rough Rider Factory" SMKWs new RRR (Rough Rider Reserve) knives are produced in a separate factory than other 'standard' Rough Ryder Knives. Andy Armstrong, (One of the RRR designers and long time employee of SMKW) recently stated that the new RRR manufacturing plant had better quality control for the RRR knives than the prior RR knives.

Back to the 'Queen & Queen City' knives:
The very first new Queen knives made after Queens Bankruptcy and closing in 2018 were made by Bear & Son, an American owned and land based company. I have no documentation that 'Bear & Son' made these knives, however, therefore I cannot confirm that to be correct.
First came the "QN1 USA" Pilot Test Run, A mini Trapper with black composite handles. Made in very limited quantities and sold out quickly. It is pictured below:
(All the below pictured knives are the actual knives within my collection)

IMG_0005.JPG
IMG_0002.JPG
IMG_0001.JPG
IMG_0004.JPG

Then came the second Queen, also an American made knife, also stated to be made by Bear & Son? It was the Queen City Red Smooth Bone Trapper
sold at smkw for $44.99.
This knife did not sell out quickly as the above QN1 USA Pilot Test Run did, perhaps there were many more made? However, SMKW now lists them as: 'Out of Stock.'
There may be future American made Queen knives manufactured, however, smkw has not listed any new American made Queens as of this writing.

IMG_0001.JPG
IMG_0002.JPG
IMG_0003.JPG

Then came the SMKW Chinese made 'Queen City Abalone series' A total of six knives. Perhaps more knives are to be added to this series at a future date?

First, they have a thin laminated base layer constructed of green Acrylic, than a Natural Abalone shell, covered with a layer of Clear Acrylic on top to protect the Abalone shell from chipping, scratching or breakage if the knife is carried or used. GEC uses this same technique, however, GEC uses more Clear Acrylic than Queen City uses, the 'extra' Acrylic on top that GEC uses on their Abalone scales takes away the real depth of beauty of the Natural Abalone Shell. I have held a Abalone handled knife by GEC in one hand and compared it to one of my Chinese Queen Abalone handled knives in my other hand, the Chinese Queen is strikingly more beautiful.

The handles are glued, not pinned. That's not a takeaway for me, however, I personally think that 'pinned handles' add more eye candy.
Except for the Lockback knife, all the blades have half stops and match strike pulls as well.
The 'Queen City Abalone series' is still available for sale at smkw website for $24.99 each, however, the Abalone Canoe is $29.99 due to its excessive Abalone Shell size.

IMG_0024.JPG

Following the above Queen City Abalone series we now have the 'Queen City Black Pearl Knives below. Queen City has released some gorgeous black pearl traditional slip joint patterns. The Queen City Black Pearl Series are available at $24.99 each.
All of the knives in the new Queen City Black Pearl series feature 440A stainless steel blades with a mirror polish finish. The blades have half stops and match strike pulls as well, with the exception of the small lockback, which does not have the half stop.

If you’re not aware, half stops and match strike pulls are a historical mark of extra effort and higher quality.

You’ll note that the patterns available in this series are all small patterns. That’s because the handles are genuine black pearl. The bolsters on this series are high-polish, ringed nickel silver, and the liners are brass. There are no see through visible pins on the handles, another mark of higher quality.

The Queen City Black Pearl Series is currently available in four patterns, including the peanut, the cub lockback, the small toothpick, and the mini canoe. At the time of this posting, it is unknown whether more patterns would become available in this series.

IMG_0012.JPG
Pearl.jpg

As for my opinion on quality and workmanship of the above New Queen Knives, (Without dragging this post to greater length) I encourage Smoky Mountain Knife Works to find new makers on the American made Queens. The Chinese Queens are spectacular, fit and finish and workmanship are excellent.
Living proof that 'Geography' doesn't dictate quality, it's the effort manufacturer.

I just hope that the 'New Sawcut Bone Queens' coming to me soon will also dictate quality.
I'll keep you informed.

Dan
Dan
robpa

Post by robpa »

yeh but, I might give 1 a try but its not going in the display with my REAL Queens. Queens were made about 30 miles from me, not 3,ooo miles from me. I wonder, do the Uigers(slaves) make these?? ::shrug::
jmh58

Post by jmh58 »

I cringe 😬 at a China and Queen thought !!🤢
John 🤠
Not all who wander are lost!!

Of all the paths you take in life,
Make sure some of them are Dirt!!!
Corso

Post by Corso »

Name aside they look much nicer than the R/R's that have been pouring out lately

I realy detest the R/R bolsters. These are so much cleaner

I'm hoping the do a 3" boy's knife at some point

but for now i'll settle for the reverse peanut
Nev52

Post by Nev52 »

Just purchased this Queen Wharncliffe from SMKW. Very nice knife good size for a EDC. ::tu::
Queen knife.jpg
Queen knife.jpg (27.91 KiB) Viewed 2986 times
bigshot

Post by bigshot »

Do all Queen knives use the same shield? That round one looks a bit large for that knife.
Nev52

Post by Nev52 »

Sorry I can't answer that. This is my 1st Queen knife. :oops:
Old Folder
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Old Folder »

bigshot wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 7:36 pm Do all Queen knives use the same shield? That round one looks a bit large for that knife.
Hello bigshot;
Visually and in hand, the shields are very appropriate. They used two different shield sizes for the larger knives than for the smaller two knives. Same shield, just different size. Very eye appealing.

There are currently three (3) Queen series knives in release from SMKW (Who now ownes Queen)
1. Abalone Series. (6 knives in the series)
2. Black Pearl Series. (4 knives in the series)
3. Sawcut Bone Series. (7 knives in the series)

The serries in your question, "Sawcut Bone Series" is the only current new Queen knives that have shields. No shields on the Abalone or Black Pearl series.

There are currently 7 knives within the "Sawcut Bone Series" (Pictured below)
I measured the shields. The bottom two knives "Doctors knife, and the Peanut knife" have 6mm shields. The remaining 5 knives have 10mm shields.

I have all the knives in the 3 series. All three Queen series knives are spectacular. I'm very happy with them, and await with great anticipation on future SMKW Queens, and any additional knives to the existing series.

Queen Shields.jpg
Dan
Dan
QTCut5
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by QTCut5 »

I actually bought two of the China Queen Amber Sawcut Bone Wharncliffes and they are very fine knives...especially for the price (<$20 each).

However, I do not consider them to be genuine Queen knives (of which I have many), but more like a cheaper version of "real" Queen knives. I wish this China made line had been designated "Queen II" to distinguish them from the original Queen made knives.

But, that said, they are well-made knives, no doubt about that. Much as I hate to admit it, they are possibly even better than some of the "genuine" DFC era Queen knives. ::uc:: ::hmm:: ::undecided::
Attachments
Sawcut Amber Bone Wharncliffe China Queens.JPG
We are all just prisoners here of our own device.
In the master's chamber they gather for the feast.
They stab it with their steely knives but they just can't kill the beast.
(Eagles: Hotel California)

~Q~
bigshot

Post by bigshot »

Thanks for the info Old Folder. I'm going to look into these. They look very nice.
QTCut5 wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 1:25 amI actually bought two of the China Queen Amber Sawcut Bone Wharncliffes and they are very fine knives.
I like that blade. If I can ask, why did you get two? One to use and one to keep MIB?
zed6309
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by zed6309 »

I've been tempted by the Barlow for a while , it's about the same price in the uk as the RR Barlow , I guess my issue is I own 3 RR Barlows so I've already kind of got this knife , I wish the Abalone was pinned as I would get one as I prefer pinned than glued, if the price drops anymore i might just grab one ::tu::
Paul,

friendship is a rare and precious gift,
A day without a pocket knife is the day your need it,
QTCut5
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by QTCut5 »

bigshot wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 6:20 am
QTCut5 wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 1:25 amI actually bought two of the China Queen Amber Sawcut Bone Wharncliffes and they are very fine knives.
...why did you get two? One to use and one to keep MIB?
Well, first of all because I'm a certified Wharncliffe junkie and will buy almost any knife with a single Wharncliffe blade. Secondly, I love Queen knives and I just had to see for myself what the sawcut China Queens were like (I was NOT impressed with the China Queen QN1 Mini Trapper, BTW), and finally, because after I got my first one and saw how nice it was, I decided to get another one just to have for swapping or gifting (I tend to do a lot of swapping and gifting of knives and for the price, I simply couldn't resist...in fact, I probably should buy a few more before they're no longer available ::hmm:: ).

~Q~
QTCut5
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by QTCut5 »

zed6309 wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 8:23 am I wish the Abalone was pinned as I would get one as I prefer pinned than glued
I've read a number of comments re pinned vs glued (shields & covers) and never did understand what the big deal was (most collectors seem to prefer pinned for some reason). As long as the glue holds as it's supposed to, what's the difference? ::shrug::

~Q~
bigshot

Post by bigshot »

QTCut5 wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 2:27 amI decided to get another one just to have for swapping or gifting (I tend to do a lot of swapping and gifting of knives and for the price, I simply couldn't resist...in fact, I probably should buy a few more before they're no longer available ::hmm:: ).
My motto is, "Too much is never enough!"

Return to “Chinese-made knives”