New RRR009 & RRR001BM Pictures

A place to discuss & share pictures of knives made in China.
Alien883

Re: New RRR009 & RRR001BM Pictures

Post by Alien883 »

Old Folder wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 8:42 am Insider information. ::paranoid::

Yes, I finally have it. (Now, so do you.) Hot off the press. "Read All About It." (No exact sell date yet, no price yet.)

Below is the picture of the new Third Series Rough Ryder Reserve Easy Open Sway Back Tan burlap Micarta RRR009
It's a traditional Sway Back pattern with an easy open pull.

RRR 009 1.jpgRRR 009 2.jpgRRR 009 3.jpgRRR 009 4.jpg

The second RRR will be the: RRR001BM
Rough Ryder Reserve One Arm Razor D2. Brown burlap Micarta? Just like the original RRR001 Easy Open Razor but with a different handle material.

RRR001 BM.jpg

More news will follow when I receive it. (Getting information is as difficult as a Biden Press Conference.)

I Like Em. ::nod::
What are your opinions?

Dan
I got the RRR09 and love it....great solid blade, dead center and nice color Micarta...of course very well made, fit and finish!!!
Beavertail

Post by Beavertail »

Beavertail wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 11:41 pm
Old Folder wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 10:45 pm Smoky silently listed these today. (RRR010 & RRR011)
I ordered both today.
$59.99 each. A Heavy Trapper and a Tear Jerk. Both have "Wharncliffe & Spearblades"
Nice.

Dan
I ordered both today also.
SMKW sent me a $20.00 off coupon last week and it came in handy.
Ordered mine Wednesday with free 2nd day air shipping.
As of Monday no delivery and no update on delivery I guess they're pretty backed up. ::shrug::
Tim
cbay

Post by cbay »

The 009 and the hedgehog are solid perfect knives here,. Unfortunately the new heavy trapper is not. Ordered Friday and got today, super fast shipping but man it is a real dud on blade wobble. Around 200 RRs and not a one of them in the same zip code as this one. I couldn't repack and get an RMA fast enough.
I think I'm gonna take a break on new RR's and just focus on certain older ones from time to time as they pop up.
Chris
bigshot

Post by bigshot »

I just got the new ones. The Denim Heavy Trapper is a BIG knife and very thick. Lots of room between blades. Super sturdy. No wobble on mine. It's a good knife, but it really needs a sheath. The EZ open tear jerk has some significant design issues. The only way to use the EZ open indent is if the secondary blade is already open. You can't just open the primary blade using the indent. And the placement of the nail nick is choked up too far. So either way, it's a pain to open the main blade. That one isn't one of my favorites.

IMG_2448 2.jpg
Modern Slip Joints

Post by Modern Slip Joints »

bigshot wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 1:33 am [...] The Denim Heavy Trapper is a BIG knife and very thick. Lots of room between blades. [...] it really needs a sheath. The EZ open tear jerk has some significant design issues. The only way to use the EZ open indent is if the secondary blade is already open. You can't just open the primary blade using the indent. And the placement of the nail nick is choked up too far. So either way, it's a pain to open the main blade. [...]
I plan to buy the blue denim Micarta Wharncliffe jumbo Trapper but my preference is belt pouch carry. I've been very selective buying RRR knives only buying ones that offer something I can not get elsewhere. While my memory is not perfect I can not recall another Wharncliffe jumbo trapper. I presume it is "very thick" with "Lots of room between blades" because the have once again slipped washers onto the pivot pins between the blades and bolsters and other blades. I suspect that is done to keep customers from whining about blade rub scratches. The resulting plump knives are less than idea for pocket carry in thin pants or where a bulge is objectionable. However, in a belt pouch they're just fine.

The "EZ open tear jerk" is a little tempting. Is "tear jerk" really SMkW's model name? IIRC the SMKW web page claimed easy one hand opening implying that they intend you to open its master spear blade with your dominant right hand's thumb, not by pinching the blade with your left thumb and fore finger. There plenty of old Buck 110 and 112 users who habitually open them one handed with their dominant hand's thumb. Without a thumb stud it takes a little practice. Have you tried to open the tear jerk that way?

Changing the topic, this thread and a lot other threads need to be relocated into the RR sub-forum. We convinced Brian that the volume of RR discussion deserved an RR sub-forum which is sitting idle while the discussion continues outside of that sub-forum. It would be nice to see Old Hunter and other begin starting threads in the new RR sub-forum.
bigshot

Post by bigshot »

When is the RR forum coming back? I've been patiently waiting for it. Didn't want to fuss during the holidays in case the admins had holiday chores to do.
cudgee

Post by cudgee »

As stated by Modern Slip Joints there is a Rough Rider Knife Forum.
QTCut5
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by QTCut5 »

I got the "Sway" 009 because I'm a huge fan of single Wharncliffe blade knives. When I got it, the walk & talk was slow, gritty and soft (no snap), so I had to work it a bit with Quick Release oil...and then the chamois I was using to hold the blade slipped and I cut my finger pretty badly...blood everywhere :shock: ...it was a disaster and I was not at all happy about having to "fix" the basic movement of a brand new folding knife--although I will admit that the blade was super sharp. After the oil (& blood) treatment, the Sway works as it should---probably just had a little dried gunk like polishing compound in the joint.

So, now I have these two Rough Ryder Wharncliffe Swayback Jacks and I think they're OK, not great, but for the money I have to admit that they're decent knives. Although, to be perfectly honest (and perhaps overly picky) I really don't like the placement of the nail nick on the 009...it's much too far back from the EO cut out to be of any real use. Notice the pull is in the swage on the (less expensive) Denim Micarta model...that placement would have been much better for the EZO, IMO. Also, the Denim Micarta model has three grooves in the bolster while the more expensive Sway has only two...I can't help but wonder why :? . Finally, the lanyard tube is larger on the Denim Micarta...large enough to accommodate a paracord lanyard with ease, but the lanyard tube on the more expensive Sway is just enough smaller (diameter) so as to make threading a paracord lanyard through it somewhat tricky (although with patience and determination it can be done)--a minor inconvenience, perhaps, but an inconvenience just the same, and on a more expensive knife to boot ::disgust::. Considering the price difference between the two, I'm just not convinced the RRReserve line is worth the extra money. ::undecided:: YMMV

PC210003.JPG
PC210002.JPG
We are all just prisoners here of our own device.
In the master's chamber they gather for the feast.
They stab it with their steely knives but they just can't kill the beast.
(Eagles: Hotel California)

~Q~
bigshot

Post by bigshot »

They created the Rough Ryder forum and it was there for a few days, then they took it down and said they were reorganizing. I'm waiting for it to come back.

The main difference between the Reserves and the regular RR's is the steel. 420 vs D2. The placement of the nail nick doesn't bother me too much if the EZ open cut out works! That is a puzzle on the new one. I'm not sure what they were thinking.
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

Jus' FYI Big, the Rough Rider specific sub-forum is located at the very top of this forum(Chinese-made knives)when you first enter it. 8)
8)
Beavertail

Post by Beavertail »

Just got off the phone with SMKW about my two new Rough Ryders.
They said they were delivered Sunday, I didn't receive them.
They are going to send me two more, hopefully they'll be here Friday.
I guess someone is enjoying my knives. ::shrug::
Tim
Modern Slip Joints

Tim,

You might wind up with 4 RRR knives. Most mis-delivered packages get put back in the mail or hand carried from the wrong porch to the correct one.
Beavertail

Post by Beavertail »

Modern Slip Joints wrote: Wed Dec 22, 2021 6:03 pm Tim,

You might wind up with 4 RRR knives. Most mis-delivered packages get put back in the mail or hand carried from the wrong porch to the correct one.
Maybe.
If the first two show up I'll call SMKW and see what they suggest I do.
I'm too hopeful about them showing up,I've got a few so-called called neighbors that would probably keep them.
This is the first time anything like this has happened to me. ::shrug::
Tim
bigshot

Post by bigshot »

Madmarco wrote: Wed Dec 22, 2021 5:15 am Jus' FYI Big, the Rough Rider specific sub-forum is located at the very top of this forum(Chinese-made knives)when you first enter it. 8)
I just found it. No wonder no one is using that forum. It doesn't show up on the main page. Is that an accident or is it intentional. The purpose of creating a new forum for Rough Ryders was to give them peer status with other brands on the forum, not to banish it to a sub forum you have to know is there.

Are there other pocket knife forums where inexpensive knives are featured? I get the feeling here that they aren't welcome. I don't want to spend time photographing my collection and creating content if it's going to be stuck in a corner.
Modern Slip Joints

Step back and take a look at the the whole forum bigshot. The former brand specific subforum group is now only for brands mostly thought of as being U.S. made. It was renamed United States Made Knife Forums. Like RR the Henckels and Hubertus subforums were moved out of brand specific. Similar to the RR subforum they're now at the top after we open European Made Knives. Also, at the bottom of United States Made Knife Forums there's a Other U.S. Made Knives area that's either new or has had additional traditionally U.S. made brand subforums like Conol Coon moved into it. It appears that the organization of the whole AAPK forum is being reconsidered.

I do not envy that job. With only a quick skim of the United States Made Knife Forums I'm sure all or a portion of the production of two thirds of the brands is or at various times has been been made over seas. Let's wait and watch and support the RR subforum that we advocated for.
Beavertail

Post by Beavertail »

Just received my replacement RRR knives today.
SMKW shipped them priority overnight and I'm very satisfied with their customer service. ::tu::
As for the knives they are beautiful and the fit and finish is perfect.
The heavy trapper is just that, HEAVY!
I think it would be better suited for a sheath instead of carried in the pocket.
The E.O. Tear jerk is a bit of a puzzle to me.
With it having two blades it's almost impossible to open using the E.O. notch.
I think it would have looked better without the cut out.
Tim
bigshot

Post by bigshot »

Modern Slip Joints wrote: Thu Dec 23, 2021 7:29 pm Step back and take a look at the the whole forum bigshot. The former brand specific subforum group is now only for brands mostly thought of as being U.S. made. It was renamed United States Made Knife Forums.
Is this forum just for US knives? That sounds like Gilligan's Island's theme song with "and the rest".

I don't want to contribute to a banishment forum. I'll contribute if it is all equal and I can help build up a community for a new part of the forum, but that isn't going to happen three clicks deep from the main page. The Rough Ryder forum should be on the top page, just like the American made brands are. If it is going to be sorted out to an international heading, then add more international brands... Boker, Taylor's Eye Witness, Marbles, Brother, Queen, etc.

When I come to a forum like this, it's to find out about brands I don't know about. I don't care where a knife is made. I want to see what Brother knives makes and what people have to say about them. I'd like to see what patterns Rough Ryder makes in a particular handle style. That isn't going to happen with everything all in one forum, or hiding sub forums deeper down in the site.

Under $50 knives accounts for a big chunk of the market for pocket knives. People are buying and collecting them. There really should be a forum to welcome collectors like that. Personally, I have no interest in GEC knives. I could rag on them in forums and try to make it hard for people to post about them but I don't. I focus on what interests me and contribute to that. If there was a place for me to do that which didn't hobble the discussion out of the gate, I'd be happy to contribute content and support it. I don't get why some people are so dedicated to their own interest that they don't allow other people to have their own.
Beavertail

Post by Beavertail »

bigshot wrote: Thu Dec 23, 2021 9:03 pm
Modern Slip Joints wrote: Thu Dec 23, 2021 7:29 pm Step back and take a look at the the whole forum bigshot. The former brand specific subforum group is now only for brands mostly thought of as being U.S. made. It was renamed United States Made Knife Forums.
Is this forum just for US knives? That sounds like Gilligan's Island's theme song with "and the rest".

I don't want to contribute to a banishment forum. I'll contribute if it is all equal and I can help build up a community for a new part of the forum, but that isn't going to happen three clicks deep from the main page. The Rough Ryder forum should be on the top page, just like the American made brands are. If it is going to be sorted out to an international heading, then add more international brands... Boker, Taylor's Eye Witness, Marbles, Brother, Queen, etc.

When I come to a forum like this, it's to find out about brands I don't know about. I don't care where a knife is made. I want to see what Brother knives makes and what people have to say about them. I'd like to see what patterns Rough Ryder makes in a particular handle style. That isn't going to happen with everything all in one forum, or hiding sub forums deeper down in the site.

Under $50 knives accounts for a big chunk of the market for pocket knives. People are buying and collecting them. There really should be a forum to welcome collectors like that. Personally, I have no interest in GEC knives. I could rag on them in forums and try to make it hard for people to post about them but I don't. I focus on what interests me and contribute to that. If there was a place for me to do that which didn't hobble the discussion out of the gate, I'd be happy to contribute content and support it. I don't get why some people are so dedicated to their own interest that they don't allow other people to have their own.
Frankly I don't understand what you're complaining about. ::shrug::
There are two forums here to post and talk about the knives that interest you, the Chinese-made knives and the Rough Ryder forum which are both easily accessible. If I'm missing your point please explain. ::handshake::
Tim
bigshot

Post by bigshot »

The Rough Ryder forum doesn't show up on the main page at all. Nobody is using the Rough Ryder forum because it is buried. It should be on the main page with all the other brand forums, not buried three pages down.
Beavertail

Post by Beavertail »

bigshot wrote: Thu Dec 23, 2021 9:53 pm The Rough Ryder forum doesn't show up on the main page at all. Nobody is using the Rough Ryder forum because it is buried. It should be on the main page with all the other brand forums, not buried three pages down.
I don't know what's on your home page but on mine it shows no brand forums.
I just click on the forum link at the top and it takes me right to the forum I'm looking for it's pretty straightforward.
I'm using an Android device.
Tim
Alien883

Post by Alien883 »

I like 'em too!!
Yes made in China but really different level of quality...price wise rightfully set right under GEC prices...very good if not upper quality EDC knives!!
I do carry this RRR0009 right now in my pocket...one of my favorites...

quote="Old Folder" post_id=954186 time=1634028152 user_id=21090]
Insider information. ::paranoid::

Yes, I finally have it. (Now, so do you.) Hot off the press. "Read All About It." (No exact sell date yet, no price yet.)

Below is the picture of the new Third Series Rough Ryder Reserve Easy Open Sway Back Tan burlap Micarta RRR009
It's a traditional Sway Back pattern with an easy open pull.

RRR 009 1.jpgRRR 009 2.jpgRRR 009 3.jpgRRR 009 4.jpg

The second RRR will be the: RRR001BM
Rough Ryder Reserve One Arm Razor D2. Brown burlap Micarta? Just like the original RRR001 Easy Open Razor but with a different handle material.

RRR001 BM.jpg

More news will follow when I receive it. (Getting information is as difficult as a Biden Press Conference.)

I Like Em. ::nod::
What are your opinions?

Dan
[/quote]

Return to “Chinese-made knives”