RRR knives

A place to discuss & share pictures of knives made in China.
Alien883

RRR knives

Post by Alien883 »

These Rough Ryder Reserve knives that have been offered as of now where mostly designed after old pocket knife patterns or loosely "borrowed" from GEC!
SMKW now is offering ( soon ) some more RRR models...frame lock, tanto blade, liner lock...is this the end of high quality vintage designed patterns????!!
There are plenty boring modern designed knives from all kind of makes in this quality level available...is SMKW missing the boat?
I hope not....these RRR vintage designs sold very well as I understand.
There are showing a barlow and a Navaja style as new arrivals soon to be sold...lets hope the dont get off their pass to fame...
Attachments
20211230_184808.jpg
20211220_231715.jpg
20210910_162325.jpg
OSCAR

Re: RRR knives

Post by OSCAR »

While the focus of my collection is older Queens, Robeson, Schatt & Morgan and Camillus, I bought several of the RRR knives. Their standard knives are very well made for a cheap price but the Reserve line is made extremely good at a very reasonable price. Fit, finish, steel quality are all comparable to knives of much higher prices.
Built like a tank, they are on the bulky side though and have more weight than the American made traditional ones. Still, they are high quality knives and the weight and bulk are a worthwhile trade off. I especially like the one with blue denim Micarta handles.
"The Edge...There is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over.
Rustle47
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Rustle47 »

I finally bought a Rough Ryder Reserve knife because of the D2 steel used. Getting to the knife was work. First, open a box and remove a tube. Open the tube and remove a cloth wrapped bundle. Open the cloth and remove a paper wrapped object which was the knive, a green oak Kayak. The knife was definitely worth while - heavy, stout, smooth feeling, smooth working and sharp.
22-11-19knivess-5.jpg
A clear conscience is usually a sign of a bad memory.
OSCAR

Post by OSCAR »

I have 4 of them. Excellent knives for a great price.
"The Edge...There is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over.
OSCAR

Post by OSCAR »

Their stockman. Great knife at a terrific price. Gator snap on all three blades. Fit and finish second to none.
Attachments
D7F63007-BABB-406C-8AF1-210EDB3B443D.jpeg
OSCAR

Post by OSCAR »

Rustle47 wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 5:04 am I finally bought a Rough Ryder Reserve knife because of the D2 steel used. Getting to the knife was work. First, open a box and remove a tube. Open the tube and remove a cloth wrapped bundle. Open the cloth and remove a paper wrapped object which was the knive, a green oak Kayak. The knife was definitely worth while - heavy, stout, smooth feeling, smooth working and sharp.22-11-19knivess-5.jpg
Beautiful knife ! And a knife so we’ll made and finished is well worth the asking price. I always liked Micarta handles but after seeing yours, I’m gonna order one.
Rustle47
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Rustle47 »

I got another one, a Rhino Toe denim micarta! Cool knife. I may start collecting Rough Riders.
22-12-15knives-1.jpg
A clear conscience is usually a sign of a bad memory.
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

Rustle47 wrote: Tue Dec 27, 2022 3:15 am I got another one, a Rhino Toe denim micarta! Cool knife. I may start collecting Rough Riders.22-12-15knives-1.jpg
I really like that one also R47, even with it's 2 blades! I recently received a RR RRR015 "Hippo-Toe" which is quickly becoming a favorite of mine, and it only has 1 blade! I like single blade knives! 8)
8)
JamieinWV
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by JamieinWV »

Madmarco wrote: Tue Dec 27, 2022 6:54 pm
Rustle47 wrote: Tue Dec 27, 2022 3:15 am I got another one, a Rhino Toe denim micarta! Cool knife. I may start collecting Rough Riders.22-12-15knives-1.jpg
I really like that one also R47, even with it's 2 blades! I recently received a RR RRR015 "Hippo-Toe" which is quickly becoming a favorite of mine, and it only has 1 blade! I like single blade knives! 8)
See why I asked you in a PM?
If God didn’t want us to have guns, he wouldn’t have given us trigger fingers!" - Yosemite Sam
There are 3 kinds of people in this world, “Those who can count and Those who can’t”
www.allaboutpocketknives.com/jamieinwv
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

Ha, ha, ha! Sure do buddy! 8)
8)
OSCAR

Post by OSCAR »

I am not sure what it’s called but I just noticed a seldom seen feature on one of my RRR’s. On some of my AG Russell traditional knives there is a pin inside the knife that prevents the sharpened edge from hitting the back spring when you close it. I just noticed it on my denim lockback. I will check my other RRR’s later today to see if they all have this feature.
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

I think it's called a "stop" Oscar! Could be wrong for the first time in my life though! lol! 8)
8)
Beavertail

Post by Beavertail »

OSCAR wrote: Sun Jan 01, 2023 11:12 am I am not sure what it’s called but I just noticed a seldom seen feature on one of my RRR’s. On some of my AG Russell traditional knives there is a pin inside the knife that prevents the sharpened edge from hitting the back spring when you close it. I just noticed it on my denim lockback. I will check my other RRR’s later today to see if they all have this feature.
It's called a striker pin. It prevents the blade from hitting the backspring.
The first release of the RRR didn't have one and many complained about it.
Since then, the rest of the RRR's have the striker pin.
I've got the first release of the RRR and the blade definitely hits the backspring when closed.
It's a little annoying but a few passes on my diamond hone removed the mark.
I just have to be careful now and not close it too aggressively.
Attachments
rrr001.jpg
Tim
OSCAR

Post by OSCAR »

Beavertail wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 10:40 am
OSCAR wrote: Sun Jan 01, 2023 11:12 am I am not sure what it’s called but I just noticed a seldom seen feature on one of my RRR’s. On some of my AG Russell traditional knives there is a pin inside the knife that prevents the sharpened edge from hitting the back spring when you close it. I just noticed it on my denim lockback. I will check my other RRR’s later today to see if they all have this feature.
It's called a striker pin. It prevents the blade from hitting the backspring.
The first release of the RRR didn't have one and many complained about it.
Since then, the rest of the RRR's have the striker pin.
I've got the first release of the RRR and the blade definitely hits the backspring when closed.
It's a little annoying but a few passes on my diamond hone removed the mark.
I just have to be careful now and not close it too aggressively.
Thanks for the information Beavertail. I was unaware. Mostly I collect American and European knives. I’ve a few RRR’s and I think they are of excellent quality. Mine must all be later as they all have the striker pin.
Alien883

Post by Alien883 »

You are correct sir...these pins will stop the blade before the edge hits the spring...the French maker Fontinille Pataud makes most of their knives for a long time with this STOP-Pin!! Love that idea/design!!
OSCAR

Post by OSCAR »

Alien883 wrote: Sun Mar 05, 2023 10:16 pm
You are correct sir...these pins will stop the blade before the edge hits the spring...the French maker Fontinille Pataud makes most of their knives for a long time with this STOP-Pin!! Love that idea/design!!
Alien, I’ve checked the four Rough Rider Reserve knives I have. All of them have this feature.
tvic
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by tvic »

I haven’t bought a RRR yet because I’m still trying to process this in my mind. Indulge me, please. What is the difference in a normal Rough Ryder knife and a RRR? I understand the RRR is supposed to be a better quality, but exactly what are they doing to the RRR that they are NOT doing to their other knives that would make them better?
Tim
“Live simply, love generously, care deeply, speak kindly, leave the rest to God.” - Ronald Reagan
OSCAR

Post by OSCAR »

tvic wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 11:44 pm I haven’t bought a RRR yet because I’m still trying to process this in my mind. Indulge me, please. What is the difference in a normal Rough Ryder knife and a RRR? I understand the RRR is supposed to be a better quality, but exactly what are they doing to the RRR that they are NOT doing to their other knives that would make them better?
TVIC: For one thing the blade is D3 tool steel whereas the regular Rough Rider is a lesser steel. I believe that the regular Rough Rider uses 440A. They apparently use more hand work because fit and finish is extraordinary. No wobble, closer fitting, no gaps and overall quality shows. The Rough Rider is well made but side by side with the Rough Rider Reserve, the difference is immediately apparent. I have 4 Rough Rider Reserve knives I bought awhile back. Each and every one has gator snap. I hope this answers your questions.
tvic
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by tvic »

Thanks, Oscar! I have some regular RRs that are darned good quality, but I have to admit, I’m not very knowledgeable about steels. I suppose I just need to hold one in my hand. I’ll be going to SMKW next week. I’m looking forward to checking some out.
Tim
“Live simply, love generously, care deeply, speak kindly, leave the rest to God.” - Ronald Reagan
OSCAR

Post by OSCAR »

tvic wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 1:57 pm Thanks, Oscar! I have some regular RRs that are darned good quality, but I have to admit, I’m not very knowledgeable about steels. I suppose I just need to hold one in my hand. I’ll be going to SMKW next week. I’m looking forward to checking some out.
I haven’t been to SMKW in about six years. It’s a four hour drive each way.
The regular Rough Rider has a decent blade steel. The D2 holds its edge a LOT
longer (if it’s a user). D2 is a bit more difficult to sharpen. The RRR knives are built like a tank. It’s a great workhorse or good in any collection. Blades are thicker, as well as the entire knife. Here’s some pictures of the ones I have.
Left to Right: 3 blade stockman (one blade is bottle opener/screw driver.
Second is a gun stock lockback with blue denim Micarta covers.
Third is two bladed, with Micarta covers.
Last one (I have NO idea what that pattern is) single blade no lock.
All have half stops.
Once you handle one at SMKW, I think you will have every question answered.
Enjoy SMKW ! Unfortunately, I won’t be able to go there anytime soon.
BE CAREFUL HANDLING THEM ! The springs on all the RRR are much stronger. If it catches a finger when closing, you most likely will need stitches !!!
Attachments
RRR KNIVES
RRR KNIVES
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

Your knife on the far-right is a RRR020 "Panthera" model, Oscar.
8)
8)
OSCAR

Post by OSCAR »

Madmarco wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 6:08 pm Your knife on the far-right is a RRR020 "Panthera" model, Oscar.
8)
Thanks Madmarco. I’ve not seen this pattern before. Is it a RRR original or has it been made by others?
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

My understanding is, the "Panthera" is a current Rough Rider build made only by Rough Rider, and it's part of their RRR series, Oscar.
Unfortunately, I've been know to be wrong occasionally! ::facepalm::
8)
8)
OSCAR

Post by OSCAR »

Madmarco wrote: Sat Mar 11, 2023 12:50 am My understanding is, the "Panthera" is a current Rough Rider build made only by Rough Rider, and it's part of their RRR series, Oscar.
Unfortunately, I've been know to be wrong occasionally! ::facepalm::
8)
Thanks Madmarco. It’s an unusual design but I like it.
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

I totally agree, Oscar.
As-a-matter-of-fact, when another member first posted the new RRR series before they even dropped, I was the only one who liked the "Panthera", everyone else thought the shape was too weird for holding in-hand, but my assessment of them hasn't changed, I still think they're really cool knives.
I'm a big fan of "unusual", so I don't see a thing wrong with it's shape or functionality.
Now, to come up with the 52 bones they want for one will be the real challenge!
8)
8)

Return to “Chinese-made knives”