Antique Chinese fisherman's knife

A place to discuss & share pictures of knives made in China.
Nephilim

Antique Chinese fisherman's knife

Post by Nephilim »

Here's something you don't see everyday: a craft produced, antique Chinese fisherman's knife.
The handle is bone, with a brass ring and leather strap attached to the tang extension.
The handle is bone, with a brass ring and leather strap attached to the tang extension.
This is the fully open position, despite the angle. Old carbon steel blade, obviously.
This is the fully open position, despite the angle. Old carbon steel blade, obviously.
I've seen several of these old friction folder fisherman's knives. They're usually described as being from Dongbei, which is a term for the entire Northeast China region, including several modern provinces. Personally, I've wondered if these were intended to gut fish or for cutting ropes and lines. Most other examples I've seen on these have metal handles, some with long, pointed tips that could be used as a marlin spike. That suggests to me that these were used mostly as a rope knife. I have no real idea of the date, I'd assume early 20th century from the make and condition.
btrwtr
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Antique Chinese fisherman's knife

Post by btrwtr »

Cool looking knife. Is the handle wood?
If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants.

Wayne

Please visit My AAPK store https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/catalog/btrwtr
Nephilim

Re: Antique Chinese fisherman's knife

Post by Nephilim »

Nope, its bone.

Return to “Chinese-made knives”