Marble's GI Jack

A place to discuss & share pictures of knives made in China.
cody6268

Marble's GI Jack

Post by cody6268 »

Noticed this one scraping the barrel on the SMKW website. Looks to be a quite recent addition.
mr598_web3.jpg
Looks like a mash-up of the Demo knife and the postwar all-metal British Army pattern.

Despite being $6.99, I will bet you it'll be better quality than the real deal. The Egginton/Rodgers version I had was awful, and worst of all, wouldn't open a can despite the biggest can opener I had on a folder. The older versions I had were decent, but the new ones are POS. I DON'T DO CHINESE. However, I will say this. I bought the Demo knife clone as a work knife, and it has taken all matter of stuff I shouldn't have done. I expect this one will too. One complaint--brass pivot pin. I think my Demo Knife is all steel.
dlr110
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Marble's GI Jack

Post by dlr110 »

Cody I have that one and two other Marbles G.I. series knives coming from SMKW.
I didn't have a whole lot of that brand in my collection so I thought these were a
good start. Hope I like them.
David L Roberts, United States Navy Retired
Please visit my website: Woodburning Art by David at

https://www.wdbydavid.com/
cody6268

Post by cody6268 »

dlr110 wrote: Wed Mar 23, 2022 2:50 pm Cody I have that one and two other Marbles G.I. series knives coming from SMKW.
I didn't have a whole lot of that brand in my collection so I thought these were a
You will. I have used the Demo Knife clone as a work knife almost exclusively, and it's seen some hard, nearly abusive use, and it's still going strong. Strangely, its can opener is better than the way too big, way too bulky Marbles'/Dave Canterbury Scout King. I personally will likely end up being more of a fan of the GI Jack, as I find the British Army pattern a bit more sturdy. The screwdriver built into the steel liner is quicker and sturdier if I need to do a quick, light prying job.

I've been under the impression that Marble's and Rough Ryder are basically the same knives--a lot of patterns see use between both brands, and they're made in the same factory to my understanding.

Heck, somewhere around here, I have a Rough Ryder Coal Miner TL-29 type that has Rough Rider tang stamps, but a Marble's etching on the blade.
dlr110
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by dlr110 »

cody6268 wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 1:12 pm
dlr110 wrote: Wed Mar 23, 2022 2:50 pm Cody I have that one and two other Marbles G.I. series knives coming from SMKW.
You will. I have used the Demo Knife clone as a work knife almost exclusively, and it's seen some hard, nearly abusive use, and it's still going strong. Strangely, its can opener is better than the way too big, way too bulky Marbles'/Dave Canterbury Scout King. I personally will likely end up being more of a fan of the GI Jack, as I find the British Army pattern a bit more sturdy. The screwdriver built into the steel liner is quicker and sturdier if I need to do a quick, light prying job.

I've been under the impression that Marble's and Rough Ryder are basically the same knives--a lot of patterns see use between both brands, and they're made in the same factory to my understanding.

Heck, somewhere around here, I have a Rough Ryder Coal Miner TL-29 type that has Rough Rider tang stamps, but a Marble's etching on the blade.
Thanks Cody..... ::handshake::

eveled

Post by eveled »

I collect demo knives, and my only real complaint about the various Chinese clones I’ve bought is extremely inefficient use of space. The blades don’t nest together efficiently and as a result they are thicker than they need to be.

I haven’t tried a GI Jack yet, but i really like the design.
dlr110
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by dlr110 »

Here are the one's I just got in. Like the RR's they have the half-stops except the Utility knife. I really like that G.I. Jack with a Sheepsfoot blade. Sorry about the picture, I hadn't wiped off the excess oil and finger prints yet.
20220326_091605.jpg

royal0014
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by royal0014 »

I've seen these GI jacks on fleabay. I like the size and the blade,but have zero use for a can opener.
A bottle opener/screwdriver blade would have sold me perhaps ...
Chris
i woke last night to the sound of thunder
how far off i sat and wondered
started humming a song from nineteen sixty two
aint it funny how the night moves
eveled

Post by eveled »

Pretty sure a knife with sheepsfoot and can opener are still required in lifeboat survival kits. Perhaps that is the reason. The design is much more sailor-ish than GI-ish.

I agree a bottle opener/driver would be popular. Kind of a variation of a beer scout. Or maybe more of a handyman’s knife.

Return to “Chinese-made knives”