The James Brand

A place to discuss & share pictures of knives made in China.
QTCut5
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

The James Brand

Post by QTCut5 »

I am somewhat surprised that I couldn't find ANY mention of The James Brand knives when I did a search on the forum. ::hmm:: (BTW: The James Brand is the official name...including the definite article "The"). Naturally, I figured there surely must be other members who have seen these knives and possibly even purchased one or two?? ::undecided:: Perhaps not (or, more likely, I am not clever enough to find any related posts).

When I looked up The James Brand online, everything I read about the company led me to believe they were made in Portland, OR. It happened while I was searching for modern slipjoint knives with a Wharncliffe blade made in USA and somehow got directed to The James Brand website. I found two models I liked and decided to give them a try: "The Pike" because it has a Wharncliffe blade which is my preferred blade style, and "The Ellis" which has what looked to be a really good size, sturdy scissors. To be clear, I did not do enough research, because once I got the knives, I saw that although they are designed in Portland, OR, they are actually made in China. So, right off the bat I felt a bit deceived although I realize it's my own fault for not doing enough research before buying...I was just too eager to believe they were made in USA and I took the leap based on my faulty assumption. However, in my defense, the company does not exactly make it clear on their website...it takes a bit of digging and reading of the fine print, so-to-speak.

Here's a link to their home page. https://thejamesbrand.com/

After reading this, especially the part that says, "We make knives..." (my italics, etc., for emphasis), naturally I thought that they actually made the knives in Portland. But, in fact, they only design them in Portland; the knives are actually made in China.

OK, that being said, I will admit that the knives are in fact very well made. And they are minimalist in design, which is very appealing to me, a certified, card-carrying minimalist.

"The Pike"
P3310001.JPG
P3310003.JPG
P3310006.JPG
P3310007.JPG
P3310008.JPG
P3310004.JPG
P3310002.JPG
~Q~
QTCut5
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: The James Brand

Post by QTCut5 »

"The Ellis"
P3310009.JPG
P3310011.JPG
P3310017.JPG
P3310014.JPG
P3310016.JPG
P3310018.JPG
P3310010.JPG
~Q~
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

Nothing wrong with plain and simple. Case in point it can be quite attractive.
cody6268

Post by cody6268 »

Their knives look great, and most use top-notch materials. I find them overpriced for what they are, however.
Froe

Post by Froe »

Agreed. They are nice. A little expensive for the market they are competing in.
Froe
QTCut5
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by QTCut5 »

I feel the same about the prices. At first, I was turned off by the sticker shock (which, BTW, is another reason I thought they must be made in USA), but then I found the two I got on sale for less than they retail for and that's why I decided to buy them.

I will also confess that I do not find them particularly attractive, at least not compared to most traditional slipjoint patterns; but I got them to EDC, not for display or to put in my collection. :|
~Q~
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

It's funny you should mention The James Brand knives ~Q~, since I recently stumble across their site via a link from another site and immediately put their "Chapter", "Duval", "Wayland", and "Pike" exactly like the one in your picture on my "Watch List"! I love their square minimalistic appearance along with the blade shapes, but, as other have noted the price is a major factor! Eventually though! 8)
8)
C-WADE7
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by C-WADE7 »

I feel the same way about the Finch knives. I like the look and style but the price point for a China made knife is a turn off for me.
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

To me The Pike has great appeal. The design is very clean and, as stated, minimalist.
TPK

Post by TPK »

Put some black "Glennbad Stag" on that Pike and :shock: Wow! ::nod:: ::super_happy::

If that's even possible? ::hmm:: ::shrug::
TOM - KGFG - (Knife-Guy-From-Germany)

I believe..., every knife is a soul, looking for a soulmate. :wink:

Weebit-Nano https://www.weebit-nano.com/
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weebit_Nano

US - ARMY - COMBAT - ENGINEERS - 1990 - 1993 - God Bless Our Troops!
Reverand
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Reverand »

Thanks for posting, as I had not heard of them until now. I also like the Pike.
The Ellis looks useful, but I prefer the look of more traditional-style pocket knives. That Like appears to be a modern take on a traditional slip joint. Pretty neat!
Jesus is life.
Everything else is just a hobby.

~Reverand
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

C-WADE7 wrote: Sun Apr 03, 2022 2:36 am I feel the same way about the Finch knives. I like the look and style but the price point for a China made knife is a turn off for me.
Exactly! ::tu:: 8)
8)

Return to “Chinese-made knives”