Model S-521 lockback folder

In 1911, H. N. Platts, was able to draw on his extensive friendships and family connections in the cutlery world to start Western States Cutlery and Manufacturing of Boulder Colorado. At first only a jobbing business, by 1920 construction and machinery purchases were underway to begin manufacture of knives. Through name changes--to Western States Cutlery Co. in 1953, then Western Cutlery Co. in 1956--and moves first across town and later to Longmont Colorado, the company stayed under the leadership of the Platt family until 1984. In that year, the company was sold to Coleman, becoming Coleman-Western. Eventually purchased by Camillus in 1991, Western continued until Camillus expired in 2007.
steve99f

Model S-521 lockback folder

Post by steve99f »

This just in. Always been curious about how this would fit in the hand. I have to say that even being the smaller size to the 53X size folders, it fits very well. Seems well built, happy to add it to the pile. Date code D so a 1980 knife.
Attachments
Western S 521.jpg
steve99f
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Model S-521 lockback folder

Post by Madmarco »

Very nice Steve. If I'm not mistaken your knife belongs with the AGR Western Series, I think. 8)
8)
steve99f

Post by steve99f »

I have no knowledge of the AG Russell knives MM. Western made two sizes of this style, 52X and 53X. Had a choice of the drop point or a clip blade. Blade etches varied from size and maybe year of issue, I don't know.
steve99f
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

Steve, I am so sorry, I had your knife mixed-up with the AGR Texas Ranger series knife. The 2 knives are similar but completely different. I've been viewing so many knives lately they seem to be blurring all together. Again, my apologies. Mark! 8) P.S.-Of the 2 knives your Western is the nicer!
8)
TPK

Post by TPK »

Nice addition Steve! ::tu:: I like the blade etch too! ::nod:: ::tu::
What's the closed length on that one? ::shrug::
TOM - KGFG - (Knife-Guy-From-Germany)

I believe..., every knife is a soul, looking for a soulmate. :wink:

Weebit-Nano https://www.weebit-nano.com/
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weebit_Nano

US - ARMY - COMBAT - ENGINEERS - 1990 - 1993 - God Bless Our Troops!
steve99f

Post by steve99f »

Tom,

Its @ 3 5/8" OAL, 2.5 inch blade. The picture doesn't show it but the handles do swell a bit in the middle. A chunky knife in the hand.
steve99f

Return to “Western Cutlery Collector's Forum”