What is the approx. year of this Western Boulder hatchet

In 1911, H. N. Platts, was able to draw on his extensive friendships and family connections in the cutlery world to start Western States Cutlery and Manufacturing of Boulder Colorado. At first only a jobbing business, by 1920 construction and machinery purchases were underway to begin manufacture of knives. Through name changes--to Western States Cutlery Co. in 1953, then Western Cutlery Co. in 1956--and moves first across town and later to Longmont Colorado, the company stayed under the leadership of the Platt family until 1984. In that year, the company was sold to Coleman, becoming Coleman-Western. Eventually purchased by Camillus in 1991, Western continued until Camillus expired in 2007.
DanTX1953

What is the approx. year of this Western Boulder hatchet

Post by DanTX1953 »

Trying to determine the year of this Black Beauty hatchet, from what I can tell the Black Beauty series was introduced around 1956.
The 1960 catalog sheets in Platt's book shows the B.B. hatchet, however the handle has what is referred to as a "form fitting grip" with a flat end and a forward angle as shown in the last picture below.
The one I have pictured has the pommel which I see on older Western hatchets. The only marking is " WESTERN BOULDER, COLO., U.S.A. " on one side, there are no other markings on the hatchet.
Thanks in advance for any information.
Attachments
z 1.jpg
z 2.jpg
Z 1.jpg
Z 1.jpg (21.18 KiB) Viewed 1311 times
kennedy knives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: What is the approx. year of this Western Boulder hatchet

Post by kennedy knives »

Hope you get a answer. I have the same question
Attachments
IMG_3760.JPG
IMG_3761.JPG
IMG_3766.JPG
zzyzzogeton

Re: What is the approx. year of this Western Boulder hatchet

Post by zzyzzogeton »

kennedy knives wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2023 10:11 pm Hope you get a answer. I have the same question
Somehow, I managed to miss this thread. The hatchet shown here was made between late 1967, when model numbers started being put onto the guards of Western products as new runs were made, and 1973, when "BOULDER, COLO. U.S.A." was changed to just "U.S.A.".

For the OP, look on your "guard". I bet "F10" is stamped there. From 1955 to 1967, model numbers were stamped on the pile side ricasso.

Return to “Western Cutlery Collector's Forum”