L58 info please.

In 1911, H. N. Platts, was able to draw on his extensive friendships and family connections in the cutlery world to start Western States Cutlery and Manufacturing of Boulder Colorado. At first only a jobbing business, by 1920 construction and machinery purchases were underway to begin manufacture of knives. Through name changes--to Western States Cutlery Co. in 1953, then Western Cutlery Co. in 1956--and moves first across town and later to Longmont Colorado, the company stayed under the leadership of the Platt family until 1984. In that year, the company was sold to Coleman, becoming Coleman-Western. Eventually purchased by Camillus in 1991, Western continued until Camillus expired in 2007.
AndrewH

L58 info please.

Post by AndrewH »

I am looking at this knife but would like to know why it has a flat ground blade compared to all others that I have seen that are Sabre ground. I have asked the seller and it is marked K1 on the side opposite the markers mark, were all these K1’s flat ground?
I prefer the Sabre grind visually but this is local and readily available. Also is there a blade stock difference between flat and sabre ground blades? Are these very common that I would be likely to find one in sabre reasonably considering I am in Australia with limited availability.
Thank you.
IMG_8913.png
zzyzzogeton

Re: L58 info please.

Post by zzyzzogeton »

All K1, K2 and K3 knives were flat grind. You will NOT find a saber grind K1.

The K5 and 645 were saber grind. No known reason why the difference. The K-series were leather handled B&Ts/hunters (1,2,3,5). The 645 was a plastic handled hunter.

The blade grind differences may have been based on who was grinding which models, may have been based on material thickness, or have been based on some other esoteric reason.

The 4 K-series leather handled knives were also constructed using single pins in the pommels and non-bifurcated tangs.

Overall, the K-series knives are rather rare due to only being made in 1958, most likely a single run, or maybe 2 runs. Rare in this case does NOT mean priced through the roof, as they generally have modest prices associated with them, unless someone goes koo-koo nuts on fleabay.
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

Nice knife, Andrew, ::welcome:: to AAPK! ::handshake::
8)
8)
AndrewH

Post by AndrewH »

zzyzzogeton wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 9:27 pm All K1, K2 and K3 knives were flat grind. You will NOT find a saber grind K1.

The K5 and 645 were saber grind. No known reason why the difference. The K-series were leather handled B&Ts/hunters (1,2,3,5). The 645 was a plastic handled hunter.

The blade grind differences may have been based on who was grinding which models, may have been based on material thickness, or have been based on some other esoteric reason.

The 4 K-series leather handled knives were also constructed using single pins in the pommels and non-bifurcated tangs.

Overall, the K-series knives are rather rare due to only being made in 1958, most likely a single run, or maybe 2 runs. Rare in this case does NOT mean priced through the roof, as they generally have modest prices associated with them, unless someone goes koo-koo nuts on fleabay.
Thanks for the reply and info on the single pin. I hadn't noticed that.
AndrewH

Post by AndrewH »

Madmarco wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 9:31 pm Nice knife, Andrew, ::welcome:: to AAPK! ::handshake::
8)
Thanks Marco :)
AndrewH

Post by AndrewH »

zzyzzogeton wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 9:27 pm All K1, K2 and K3 knives were flat grind. You will NOT find a saber grind K1.

The other knife I bought recently was an Official Boy Scout L66 I believe, would the stock thickness of this K1 be similar to that?
Case V42
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Case V42 »

The pictured knife is tang stamped "West-Cut" as were all K series knives I've ever seen. I've witnessed much discussion about West-Cut being Western's cheaper line, but I have no idea if that is a fact.
zzyzzogeton

Post by zzyzzogeton »

Case V42 wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 11:57 pm The pictured knife is tang stamped "West-Cut" as were all K series knives I've ever seen. I've witnessed much discussion about West-Cut being Western's cheaper line, but I have no idea if that is a fact.
I have seen that "opinion" espoused frequently. All I can say is that all of the 300+ WEST-CUT stamped knives that I have personally handled appear to be made of the same materials and in the same manner as any of the 500+ WESTERN stamped knives from the same eras.

Since the materials appear to be the same, the assembly methods were the same, the equipment used was the same and the people who made, heat-treated, assembled and finished both lines were the same, I have serious doubts that the WEST-CUT line was a "cheaper" line.

I've always considered the that the WEST-CUT line was simply targeted to a different market - mom-n-pop hardware stores vs major chain hardware stores (Say Gerschbach-Wacker in Bartlett TX vs Ace Hardware franchises across the country). Western made branded knives for Sears, Montgomery-Ward, Shapleigh, Western Auto, Boker and Coast Cutlery. Maybe others as well. All of these were made to the same standards with the same materials.

The only way to make the knives "cheaper" would be to use cheaper grade materials where the differences would be unnoticed. The same steel, leather disks and aluminum pommels means the only saving would be in guards and colored/brass/nickel-silver spacers. Without knowing what the difference in brass vs aluminum vs nickel-silver for guards at the time, it would all be a wash in debating it.
zzyzzogeton

Post by zzyzzogeton »

AndrewH wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 11:21 pm

The other knife I bought recently was an Official Boy Scout L66 I believe, would the stock thickness of this K1 be similar to that?
I've never put a micrometer to the blades, but I think they would be "kinda close" although the proper comparison would be the L66 to the K5, which were the same knives.
AndrewH

Post by AndrewH »

Ok thanks. I just didn’t want it to be much thinner than this one.
IMG_8911.jpeg
IMG_8910.jpeg
zzyzzogeton

Post by zzyzzogeton »

These were made from 1955 to 1960.

The first time the Western L46-5 and L66 were advertised in Boy's Life Magazine as official Boy Scout knives was February 1955. The First Class rank stamp was replaced with the Tenderfoot rank stamp starting in 1961.
AndrewH

Post by AndrewH »

zzyzzogeton wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2023 3:11 am These were made from 1955 to 1960.

The first time the Western L46-5 and L66 were advertised in Boy's Life Magazine as official Boy Scout knives was February 1955. The First Class rank stamp was replaced with the Tenderfoot rank stamp starting in 1961.
Thank you. I was going to ask about dating it.
Appreciate it.
AndrewH

Post by AndrewH »

Case V42 wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 11:57 pm The pictured knife is tang stamped "West-Cut" as were all K series knives I've ever seen. I've witnessed much discussion about West-Cut being Western's cheaper line, but I have no idea if that is a fact.
Thank you 🙏
AndrewH

Post by AndrewH »

zzyzzogeton wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2023 1:21 am
I have seen that "opinion" espoused frequently. All I can say is that all of the 300+ WEST-CUT stamped knives that I have personally handled appear to be made of the same materials and in the same manner as any of the 500+ WESTERN stamped knives from the same eras.

Since the materials appear to be the same, the assembly methods were the same, the equipment used was the same and the people who made, heat-treated, assembled and finished both lines were the same, I have serious doubts that the WEST-CUT line was a "cheaper" line.

I've always considered the that the WEST-CUT line was simply targeted to a different market - mom-n-pop hardware stores vs major chain hardware stores (Say Gerschbach-Wacker in Bartlett TX vs Ace Hardware franchises across the country). Western made branded knives for Sears, Montgomery-Ward, Shapleigh, Western Auto, Boker and Coast Cutlery. Maybe others as well. All of these were made to the same standards with the same materials.

The only way to make the knives "cheaper" would be to use cheaper grade materials where the differences would be unnoticed. The same steel, leather disks and aluminum pommels means the only saving would be in guards and colored/brass/nickel-silver spacers. Without knowing what the difference in brass vs aluminum vs nickel-silver for guards at the time, it would all be a wash in debating it.
Thanks. That’s good to know. ::tu::

Return to “Western Cutlery Collector's Forum”