Which one?

In 1911, H. N. Platts, was able to draw on his extensive friendships and family connections in the cutlery world to start Western States Cutlery and Manufacturing of Boulder Colorado. At first only a jobbing business, by 1920 construction and machinery purchases were underway to begin manufacture of knives. Through name changes--to Western States Cutlery Co. in 1953, then Western Cutlery Co. in 1956--and moves first across town and later to Longmont Colorado, the company stayed under the leadership of the Platt family until 1984. In that year, the company was sold to Coleman, becoming Coleman-Western. Eventually purchased by Camillus in 1991, Western continued until Camillus expired in 2007.
cody6268

Which one?

Post by cody6268 »

I'm in the market for a Western fixed blade. I'd like something with a blade between 3.5" and 5" , and a leather washer handle. What models are there, and how many of them sell in good, usable shape (without damaged washers and heavily sharpened blades) below $25?
Gunsil

Re: Which one?

Post by Gunsil »

Just look on ebay, many on there almost every week, find one you like and buy it. Most don't bring a lot of money.
tongueriver

Re: Which one?

Post by tongueriver »

I would suggest a pattern 66 or 48, or preferably, both. Look for the word Boulder on the stamp. You can't go wrong here. The 48s are the'bird n trout, and the 66s are the full size hunting knives. The latter go cheap; the 48s are a little more dear.

Return to “Western Cutlery Collector's Forum”