A Pair of Folding Hunters

In 1911, H. N. Platts, was able to draw on his extensive friendships and family connections in the cutlery world to start Western States Cutlery and Manufacturing of Boulder Colorado. At first only a jobbing business, by 1920 construction and machinery purchases were underway to begin manufacture of knives. Through name changes--to Western States Cutlery Co. in 1953, then Western Cutlery Co. in 1956--and moves first across town and later to Longmont Colorado, the company stayed under the leadership of the Platt family until 1984. In that year, the company was sold to Coleman, becoming Coleman-Western. Eventually purchased by Camillus in 1991, Western continued until Camillus expired in 2007.
268bull

A Pair of Folding Hunters

Post by 268bull »

Here are my two Western folding hunters, thin clasp. Note the difference in the ends of the knives. The top knife I just picked up this past weekend. Love them both! ::super_happy:: Dale
Attachments
IMG_0782.JPG
268bull

Re: A Pair of Folding Hunters

Post by 268bull »

Duuhhh! Note to self, Notice overall the difference between the model of the two knives ::facepalm:: . That's what I get for posting right after I wake up :oops: . I still love em though. Dale ::tu::
Bret888

Post by Bret888 »

Nice ones! So many times, when you see one of these, they have bad blades or bad handles.
268bull

Post by 268bull »

Thanks Bret! The swell center actually was seperated from the handle pins, next to the bolster on the pile side. I very carefully worked a dental pick in between the handle and the liner and picked years of crud and probably some deer or elk gut out of it. The I got a spray can with nozzle of PB Blaster, penetrating catalyst into it and put it in my parts cleaner bucket and let it soak. Later that evening, I held the knife in an old towel and hit with blasts of air. Amazing how much more crud came out. I dried it all off and I have some jewelers super glue, used a nice little starrett c-clamp. It came back down over the pin and has held up good since. I'm taking them to the Oregon Knife club show this weekend and I'll see if I get a decent offer. ::tu:: Dale H.
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

I think they are very sharp looking knives, Dale. Especially that hunter.
Do they have good action?
Joe
268bull

Post by 268bull »

Thank you Joe . Yes, the snap is very good on both knives. Both have a very good half stop as well. Tang stamp is the same, used from 1911 to 1950 or '51. The stamp on the swell center is difficult to make out with the naked eye. You need to hold it at the correct angle with light hitting it just right. You can make it out fine though with a magnifier. And that makes me want to believe or feel that it's perhaps the older of the two. But there's really no way of proving that, I know. But they're nice knives. ::tu:: Dale
tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

Bull, those are great knives! Real beauties! I have come close to memorizing Harvey Platts' book, Knifemakers Who Went West, and it a great (and Only!) reference extant. However, after some years of studying the knives and the book, I am convinced that it was pretty carelessly thrown together as a promo item and has a lot of inconsistencies. In fact, I don't think Harvey knew much about the details of the knives made before he was personally involved. And by the time the book was published, a good number of the players were retired or dead. And a businessman of his stature wouldn't have had much to do with the lowly cutlers they used (and used up). To make this long story short, they never made a knife in Boulder until 1919 or 1920, although they were bringing them in from back East. And I think that arched stamp was retired by the start of WWII. I believe both of your knives are pre-War lovelies. Good score.
268bull

Post by 268bull »

Tongueriver , Thanks for that bit of history. It's probably a safe bet to say that a lot of the early business done by these companies is a little sketchy. They, were for the most part, jockeying for a firmer grip in the early years of the cutlery business. Those who did it best, stuck around for quite awhile. That's why we have the Case's, Western's, Camillus, Remington's, and so forth. We, today get to own their efforts! ::tu:: Bull ( aka, Dale )

Return to “Western Cutlery Collector's Forum”