Would like to identify this Western Bowie

In 1911, H. N. Platts, was able to draw on his extensive friendships and family connections in the cutlery world to start Western States Cutlery and Manufacturing of Boulder Colorado. At first only a jobbing business, by 1920 construction and machinery purchases were underway to begin manufacture of knives. Through name changes--to Western States Cutlery Co. in 1953, then Western Cutlery Co. in 1956--and moves first across town and later to Longmont Colorado, the company stayed under the leadership of the Platt family until 1984. In that year, the company was sold to Coleman, becoming Coleman-Western. Eventually purchased by Camillus in 1991, Western continued until Camillus expired in 2007.
alhudson66

Would like to identify this Western Bowie

Post by alhudson66 »

I have had this Bowie for almost 20 years. I bought it off of a guy who needed money. It's been sitting in a closet in my office for most of those 20 years, so would like to find out more. It's 14" in length, with a 9" blade. The handle looks like Ivory to me, and has finger grip indentations on it. The stamping is done on the brass guard, and has "Western Boulder Colo U.S.A" on one side, and "BOWIE" on the other. No stamping on the blade as far as I can see.Here are some pictures I took.
Attachments
2012-05-07 21.39.09.jpg
2012-05-07 21.39.39.jpg
2012-05-07 21.39.49.jpg
2012-05-07 21.40.10.jpg
2012-05-07 21.40.47.jpg
chautauqua

Re: Would like to identify this Western Bowie

Post by chautauqua »

i have seen many many of these bowies in the last 30 years made by western,but the only ones ive seen with these handles and im sure there not ivory are the frost cutlery clones,i think someone took the crossblock or guard from a western w49 bowie and put it on a frost knife its happened many times
my avatar is what happened the last time someone tried to sell me a bogus knife
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

I didn't realize Western stamped the guards on some W-49s. I have always seen the normal ricasso stamping so I learned at least one thing today. :lol:

Nice knife, alhudson66, and welcome to AAPK! ::ds::
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
chautauqua

Post by chautauqua »

yes sir they had no other marks on them except on the guard,funny how when frust did the copy of these they also just stamped on the guard of some of the knives
my avatar is what happened the last time someone tried to sell me a bogus knife
alhudson66

Post by alhudson66 »

Interesting info on the Frost clones. I have not been able to find a pic of one like this, and have been searching the internet for years. I'll try and look for Frost, and maybe I'll get lucky. Thanks for the tip.

Return to “Western Cutlery Collector's Forum”