Western Boulder 6490 Utility Knife

In 1911, H. N. Platts, was able to draw on his extensive friendships and family connections in the cutlery world to start Western States Cutlery and Manufacturing of Boulder Colorado. At first only a jobbing business, by 1920 construction and machinery purchases were underway to begin manufacture of knives. Through name changes--to Western States Cutlery Co. in 1953, then Western Cutlery Co. in 1956--and moves first across town and later to Longmont Colorado, the company stayed under the leadership of the Platt family until 1984. In that year, the company was sold to Coleman, becoming Coleman-Western. Eventually purchased by Camillus in 1991, Western continued until Camillus expired in 2007.
thawk

Western Boulder 6490 Utility Knife

Post by thawk »

Western Boulder 6490 - Circa 1950's Utility knife. A little blade rub here and there, very little use. Original blade edges. Nice to find a nice Western Boulder knife. The 6490 pattern is tough to find with the shield. They made these for the military, and the pattern dates back to the early 20's when Western States made an official Boy Scout utility knife. It was replaced in the with the 910 around 1960. There are early 910 examples with the bone handles.

Very cool grinds on the can opener blade.

Marked WESTERN /BOULDER COLO

6490 on back tang

Hal
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Western Boulder 6490 Utility Knife

Post by jerryd6818 »

Hal -- The condition of the knives you find, never ceases to amaze me. I might accumulate more older knives if I could find them in that condition. Very nice.
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
thawk

Post by thawk »

jerryd6818 wrote:Hal -- The condition of the knives you find, never ceases to amaze me. I might accumulate more older knives if I could find them in that condition. Very nice.
Well thanks Jerry. It does not always come easy. Often times the ones that are obviously old and nice are too high priced. I usually have to scour the landscape for a diamond in the rough.
Hal
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

The knives you post are testimony to your success and must make the effort worth it.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
thawk

Post by thawk »

For example. I had a pretty good hunch, but this knife with these exact pictures sat unbid on for about 9 days. They did not enlarge in the auction either.
6490_1.JPG
6490_1.JPG (6.3 KiB) Viewed 2815 times
6490_2.JPG
6490_2.JPG (6.25 KiB) Viewed 2815 times
Hal
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Which proves good clear pictures can make all the difference when selling. I'll continue to preach that until my dying day.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
thawk

Post by thawk »

I've sold a lot of knives, and you speak the truth. Great photos and accurate descriptions will return many bids. Low starting prices will generate more people in the competition too. It also helps develop loyal customers.
Hal

Return to “Western Cutlery Collector's Forum”