Western Boulder Colorado pearl handle.

In 1911, H. N. Platts, was able to draw on his extensive friendships and family connections in the cutlery world to start Western States Cutlery and Manufacturing of Boulder Colorado. At first only a jobbing business, by 1920 construction and machinery purchases were underway to begin manufacture of knives. Through name changes--to Western States Cutlery Co. in 1953, then Western Cutlery Co. in 1956--and moves first across town and later to Longmont Colorado, the company stayed under the leadership of the Platt family until 1984. In that year, the company was sold to Coleman, becoming Coleman-Western. Eventually purchased by Camillus in 1991, Western continued until Camillus expired in 2007.
theworstever

Western Boulder Colorado pearl handle.

Post by theworstever »

Found this at a garage sale. No sheath, but sharp as hell. Tungsten blade I believe. I think this is rare with the saber blade. Wonder how much it's worth?
Attachments
image.jpg
theworstever

Re: Western Boulder Colorado pearl handle.

Post by theworstever »

Can someone tell me if I am right. My grandfather had one just like this one and he said it was rare. I'd like to have some info please.
olderdogs1

Post by olderdogs1 »

Welcome to the forum. I am not sure about your knife and value. The handles look like cracked ice as opposed to pearl though. Not as many folks collect the fixed blades on here, although some do.
basser5

Post by basser5 »

Welcome ::handshake::

Here is one to watch to get a round about value.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Western ... 19e3c7ef2c

Tim
My name is Tim and i'm a stagoholic.
theworstever

Post by theworstever »

Thanks guys. That's the one and I have the same sheath.
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

theworstever wrote:Can someone tell me if I am right. My grandfather had one just like this one and he said it was rare. I'd like to have some info please.
I sold one within the last two years. I think I got $75 for it.
They are excellent knives, super good steel, but not what I would call especially rare.
Dale
AAPK Administrator

Please visit my AAPK store: www.allaboutpocketknives.com/orvet

Job 13:15

"Buy more ammo!" - Johnnie Fain
“Evil is Powerless If The Good are Unafraid.” – Ronald Reagan
Dragunski

Post by Dragunski »

They are worth more with better handles like bone or stag. But the cracked ice wouldn't make that much difference on an older one. I think you could safely add 50-75 percent if it says "Western States" instead of just "Western". It's an older stamp and highly sought after by collectors.
theworstever

Post by theworstever »

Just western. Is the blade tungsten? Also wasn't taken care of that great. Should I polish out the scratches? I'd like to sell it too maybe. I paid 20.00 for it. Except the scratches knife is in great condition. Maybe I could get 70.00 to 90.00? I guess eBay?
IMBand

Post by IMBand »

basser5 wrote:Here is one to watch to get a round about value.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Western ... 19e3c7ef2c
That knife is a relist......it failed to get an opening bid at $48 last time it was up for sale. (not my knife or listing)
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Western ... 19e2ec3b7b

IM
:)
AAPK #6581
theworstever

Post by theworstever »

Mine looks similar, but it only has two lines on the top and bottom of handle. I can't find anything about it anywhere.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

theworstever wrote:Just western. Is the blade tungsten? Also wasn't taken care of that great. Should I polish out the scratches? I'd like to sell it too maybe. I paid 20.00 for it. Except the scratches knife is in great condition. Maybe I could get 70.00 to 90.00? I guess eBay?
The blade is carbon steel.
Prices are low now on most knives, especially on ebay.
The really rare knives still bring good prices, but the Western is just a great quality knife and an excellent user.
It is not rare or especially valuable. It is a great knife for the guy who wants to buy a knife to use for 40 or 50 years and pass it along to his grandkids. It appears to have a couple lifetimes of use left in it with a little care.
Dale
AAPK Administrator

theworstever

Post by theworstever »

Thanks for the info. Trying to find out how to get rid of the scratches now. I thought it might be tungsten because of how sharp it was. Whoever sharpened it did a great job.
theworstever

Re: Western fixed blade.

Post by theworstever »

Is there something up with my knife? I can't find one that has the two white rings top and bottom. The combo is three black then white. One black then white. Then two black again for the top. The bottom combo is two black then white. One black then white. Then two black for the bottom. The handle is amber under cracked ice. I've searched everywhere but none have the same handle configuration. I'm stumped. Please help.
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

Leave the scratches.
The only way to get the scratches out is to remove metal from the knife.
If you remove the scratches you will also remove the grind lines or wear them down and soften them.
That will hurt the value of the knife more than the scratches.
Dale
AAPK Administrator

orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

I think the answer is pretty simple, someone used an extra black spacer instead of a white one when they assembled the knife.
It may be that it was done in error or they may have put some of them together that way for a while.
Either way, I don't think it significantly effects the value of the knife.
Dale
AAPK Administrator

tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

orvet wrote:I think the answer is pretty simple, someone used an extra black spacer instead of a white one when they assembled the knife.
It may be that it was done in error or they may have put some of them together that way for a while.
Either way, I don't think it significantly effects the value of the knife.
I believe that in some time frames at Western, now lost information, probably, Different color combinations of the spacers were indicators of year of manufacture, although this is hear-say, and I can't remember where I read it.
Western made a small number of those #39 pattern knives back in the (1950s?) that had tungsten or tungsten carbide treatment of one side of the blade, and one would only sharpen the softer side. With the correct box, one of these was sold last year for quite a lot of money. I believe that Schrade did the same experiment about the same time. Neither venture caught on. It would be easy to see whether one had one of those; it would stand out as odd.
The #39 pattern was one of the biggest sellers by several companies back in the day. For Western, it was also the pattern which they based their "changer" knife/hatchet combo on, and I think those all had the cracked ice celluloid.
PigSticker

Post by PigSticker »

I believe I read about dating Western's in an issue of Blade World back in the early 90's the spacers do date them prior to the Coleman days that's why you see so many different spacer combinations
NEVER DOUBT YOUR DAWG
Dragunski

Post by Dragunski »

It's a nice knife, but you're a little optimistic thinking you can triple your money on it. The one on Ebay is still sitting at 24, and yours has a nasty grind mark on it. As Orvet said, it only hurts the value more if you grind it down.

I would keep it and use it. It's worth just about what you paid.
tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

Dragunski wrote: I think you could safely add 50-75 percent if it says "Western States" instead of just "Western". It's an older stamp and highly sought after by collectors.
The fixed blade knives made by Western States between 1928 (when they started making their own fixed blades) and when they stopped using the Western States tang stamp NEVER were stamped Western States. That stamp was reserved for their folding knives. Platts, in his book on the subject, says his company stopped using Western States on their paperwork in 1941 or 1942. Some other source, widely quoted, says the company was Western States until 1951. That is hardly likely, and especially since the same source gives 1911 as the beginning of Western knives. Platts states that they never even had a building until 1918, when the War was over. I do however have a knife made in the Eastern U.S. and wholesaled to Western, before their own bifurcated tang knives were begun to be manufactured. It has WESTERN stamped on the 'left' side, and WESTERN STATES/CUT.CO.DISTR./BOULDER,CO. stamped on the 'right' side. It is the only Western States knife I have ever seen with a WESTERN STATES tang stamp. It was not made by them; it was made FOR them. In other words, the word 'STATES' did not ever appear on their fixed-blade knives. With the immensely informative book by Platts, THE KNIFE MAKERS WHO WENT WEST, the pre-war knives can be identified with "some" accuracy. The original poster's knife was built in the 1950s, incidently.
knife-nut

Post by knife-nut »

I have had several Western miniature sheath knives with the western states tang stamp. Maybe an exception to the rule. The first three on the left side in the picture are stamped Western States in a arch. Usually this is the only pattern of their miniatures that were stamped. Most of the rest have no tang stamp. Some times you can find one with the Western States etch on the blade. The only way to know they were Westerns is that they were shown in "Knife Makers that went west". Mark
Attachments
figural%20010.JPG
figural%20010.JPG (31.15 KiB) Viewed 4136 times
tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

knife-nut, thank you for clarifying! Learned something today!

Return to “Western Cutlery Collector's Forum”