Western #658

In 1911, H. N. Platts, was able to draw on his extensive friendships and family connections in the cutlery world to start Western States Cutlery and Manufacturing of Boulder Colorado. At first only a jobbing business, by 1920 construction and machinery purchases were underway to begin manufacture of knives. Through name changes--to Western States Cutlery Co. in 1953, then Western Cutlery Co. in 1956--and moves first across town and later to Longmont Colorado, the company stayed under the leadership of the Platt family until 1984. In that year, the company was sold to Coleman, becoming Coleman-Western. Eventually purchased by Camillus in 1991, Western continued until Camillus expired in 2007.
treefarmer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Western #658

Post by treefarmer »

Can anyone help with dating this little knife? The tang stamps are shown in the pictures and I haven't found any info on a #658 Western. Had to reprofile the clip blade as it had been tipped and was able to remove quite a bit of rust and stains. Has great snap on all 3 blades. The closed length is 3 7/16".
Treefarmer
Attachments
001.JPG
002.JPG
003.JPG
004.JPG
007.JPG

A GUN IN THE HAND IS BETTER THAN A COP ON THE PHONE.
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Re: Western #658

Post by Colonel26 »

It should be about 1950 to 1961 if I read the tang stamp correctly. Nice little knife for sure!
“There are things in the old Book which I may not be able to explain, but I fully accept it as the infallible word of God, and receive its teachings as inspired by the Holy Spirit.”
Robert E. Lee
treefarmer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by treefarmer »

Thanks Colonel,
Seems like the last couple of knives I've gotten have had tang stamps that are not as easy to pin down. I saw the tang stamp chart for Western knives, but this 658 is not exactly as the chart, but it is probably the closest to the one you pointed out ::shrug:: .
Treefarmer

A GUN IN THE HAND IS BETTER THAN A COP ON THE PHONE.
gino

Post by gino »

Nice looking Western ::drool::
-( life is too short to carry a cheap knife )-

Return to “Western Cutlery Collector's Forum”