Two old Western whittlers compared.

In 1911, H. N. Platts, was able to draw on his extensive friendships and family connections in the cutlery world to start Western States Cutlery and Manufacturing of Boulder Colorado. At first only a jobbing business, by 1920 construction and machinery purchases were underway to begin manufacture of knives. Through name changes--to Western States Cutlery Co. in 1953, then Western Cutlery Co. in 1956--and moves first across town and later to Longmont Colorado, the company stayed under the leadership of the Platt family until 1984. In that year, the company was sold to Coleman, becoming Coleman-Western. Eventually purchased by Camillus in 1991, Western continued until Camillus expired in 2007.
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Two old Western whittlers compared.

Post by Colonel26 »

Gentlemen, I'm still learning about these old Western knives. I love them, and man what steel, but the more I fool with them the more I'm convinced I'll never become an expert, lol. Here I have two two old whittlers. One that I know is the real deal is marked 461, so that's what I'll call them.

The first one comes to me from Coffeecup, the real expert. It has well worn blades and a big ol hunk missing out of the handle on one side that's been filled with paint. But man does it get sharp, it's tight, snappy, and a real nice edc. As you can see it has a shield, it's marked Western Boulder Colo made in USA.

The second one has no shield, is marked Western Boulder Colo, and has no pattern number. Now Coffeecup has informed me on another knife that not having a pattern number marked is not an uncommon thing with older westerns, so that doesn't concern me so much. Here are my questions.

1) Are both knives from the same time period? I ask because of the different tang stamps. If not which would you say is older?

2) The pins on the second knife are definitely of a different material than the bolsters. Does this mean the knife has been apart? Could it be factory?

3) I thought the lack of a shield was suspicious on the second knife. But the few pics of this model I've found on line show no shield. Does any know when the stopped putting shields on this pattern?

Thank you in advance. Any information you could shed on these knives for me would be greatly appreciated. If you have an example of this Western pattern, please share with us. I'd love to see them
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
“There are things in the old Book which I may not be able to explain, but I fully accept it as the infallible word of God, and receive its teachings as inspired by the Holy Spirit.”
Robert E. Lee
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Re: Two old Western whittlers compared.

Post by Colonel26 »

Here's the second knife.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
“There are things in the old Book which I may not be able to explain, but I fully accept it as the infallible word of God, and receive its teachings as inspired by the Holy Spirit.”
Robert E. Lee
djknife13
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by djknife13 »

The second one has been repined but may still be correct. I have a beautiful 461 like your's that isn't pattern stamped with the Western States "arched" stamping(pre 1950) along with a few latter ones I would have to do some digging to locate. Around 1953 Western's pattern number for your 1st knife was 6346 and came in bone and composition (No.2346). About that same time they made a B364 black composition with a shield, and a 6346(same number but different frame and blades) also a whittler, 1/2 inch smaller, pen blade instead of the coping blade. That same time they made a B346 black composition same frame and blades as your 1st knife. To complicate things even more, latter on they made a 6504 that they actually stamped 'whittler' on the back of the master blade, but this one is on a stockman frame, not a actual whittler pattern, but came with a heavier spring than the 657 stockman. They used that 657 frame back in the boulder days with bone scales (latter were delrin) and a Calif. clip master blade and a yellow composition scales one with a regular master blade, both unmarked. Sorry if I'm confusing the issue with too much info. Western kind of did there own thing. They were famous for giving their employees alot of freedom on their fixed blade knives to use wharever spacers they were in the mood for. I ve collecting Western for 20 years and still find variations on the same pattern number. Do the blades seem to fit the frame on knife No.2 It doesn't look right to me. good luck. Dave
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Colonel26 »

Thank you Dave. That's exactly what I was looking for. It seems there are few absolutes with western.

The fit issue is probably due to my photo skills. In hand the blades on the one are more worn, but they fit identically in the frame.

I agree it looks to have been repinned for whatever reason. Blade fit, type, etc is spot on from what I can tell.

Now, as to the frame, I did notice one thing. The bolster on the knife with the shield is a tad larger. The shape is the same though.
Robert E. Lee
djknife13
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by djknife13 »

If you can find a copy of Harvey Platts book"knife Makers Who Went West" without paying an arm and a leg for it, you'll find a lot of info. on Westerns, although even that doesn't have everything in it. Dave
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Colonel26 »

Thmaks Dave. Yeah, I've been looking for a copy of the book. Wow, those prices are way up there though. I'll keep snooping around though.
Robert E. Lee
tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

Nice to see a fresh post on a neglected company. Those whittlers make a great carry knife. Although I have not handled a Western personally, they seem to be nearly identical to the Schrade, called the 81004 3/8 before 1947 and then the 804 until they quit making them about 1973. Thanks for posting!
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Colonel26 »

Thank you sir! I have long admired the Schrade 804, and intend to have one eventually.

I'm a recent convert to Westerns. I got my first one here in a trade, it was a 742C. It turned out to be one if the best knives I've ever had. Since them I've accumulated a few 742's, birth from the 79's and the older Boulder stamps. If there's work to be done, I'm packing a good old 742.

From the comments here, having the knife in hand, and looking at the few examples I can find online, I believe its genuine. I believe it's been repinned for whatever reason, but the frame, blade fit, etc...lead me to think its genuine.

It's good enough, and I paid little enough that replaced pins won't make a difference as an edc. I'll pack it and whittle with it, I'll let my sins worry about replaced pins after I'm gone.
Robert E. Lee
djknife13
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by djknife13 »

I go back a little farther with Westerns. About 1954 when I was just tall enough to see into a glass front cigar case in an Army surplus store in a small northern Minn. town I saw a L28 childrens fixed blade and asked my Dad for it. He knew where every penny he earned as a small town meat cutter with 7 kids was going so I didn't figure he would get it for me, but he did and I still have it along with hundreds more including almost every small Western and many other brands of 1950's and 60's Kids knives. Funny how these things start. Dave
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Colonel26 »

That's an awesome story. Thanks for sharing that.
Robert E. Lee

Return to “Western Cutlery Collector's Forum”