Western USA L36 Knife

In 1911, H. N. Platts, was able to draw on his extensive friendships and family connections in the cutlery world to start Western States Cutlery and Manufacturing of Boulder Colorado. At first only a jobbing business, by 1920 construction and machinery purchases were underway to begin manufacture of knives. Through name changes--to Western States Cutlery Co. in 1953, then Western Cutlery Co. in 1956--and moves first across town and later to Longmont Colorado, the company stayed under the leadership of the Platt family until 1984. In that year, the company was sold to Coleman, becoming Coleman-Western. Eventually purchased by Camillus in 1991, Western continued until Camillus expired in 2007.
bugwump

Western USA L36 Knife

Post by bugwump »

Hey all, my first post here.

My dad recently passed and one of the things handed off to me was an old Western L36 knife. I am trying to dial in the possible year(s) it was produced and haven't yet come across a thread that really identifies it. The base of the blade isn't stamped at all, the guard is brass and the markings are stamped in the top of the guard. Here are some pics. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Trying to figure out if I get this cleaned up and display it because it has some value/history behind it or if I get it cleaned up, sharpened and use it as a camp knife just to have something of his carry on. Thanks for all your help!
Attachments
WesternL36.jpg
WesternL36_2.jpg
WesternL36_3.jpg
treefarmer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Western USA L36 Knife

Post by treefarmer »

Howdy, bugwump! ::welcome::
Go to the top of the page and type in Western fixed blade under the search button and a bunch of info comes up.
I've got several Western fixed blades and about all I know is the "L" indicates a leather handle, if there is a "W", it would be a wooden handle. Not much help from me, but there are several on AAPK that know all about Western knives.
Treefarmer

A GUN IN THE HAND IS BETTER THAN A COP ON THE PHONE.
coffeecup

Post by coffeecup »

Ads from 1968 said that the knives were "now marked on the guard". The practice seems to have been discontinued by about 1977; the end date is a bit "fuzzy" because marked guards would be used until the stock was gone, which differed depending on orders and sales.

Personally, I'd use it. The sentimental value far exceeds the cash value.
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

Welcome to AAPK! ::tu::
coffeecup wrote:Personally, I'd use it. The sentimental value far exceeds the cash value.
I agree with Jim, the sentimental value would be worth far more to me than the $50 or so you might get for that knife.
Dale
AAPK Administrator

Please visit my AAPK store: www.allaboutpocketknives.com/orvet

Job 13:15

"Buy more ammo!" - Johnnie Fain
“Evil is Powerless If The Good are Unafraid.” – Ronald Reagan
royal0014
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by royal0014 »

Make Dad proud.... use it but don't abuse it.
Chris
i woke last night to the sound of thunder
how far off i sat and wondered
started humming a song from nineteen sixty two
aint it funny how the night moves

Return to “Western Cutlery Collector's Forum”