Unusual Western States Advertiser

In 1911, H. N. Platts, was able to draw on his extensive friendships and family connections in the cutlery world to start Western States Cutlery and Manufacturing of Boulder Colorado. At first only a jobbing business, by 1920 construction and machinery purchases were underway to begin manufacture of knives. Through name changes--to Western States Cutlery Co. in 1953, then Western Cutlery Co. in 1956--and moves first across town and later to Longmont Colorado, the company stayed under the leadership of the Platt family until 1984. In that year, the company was sold to Coleman, becoming Coleman-Western. Eventually purchased by Camillus in 1991, Western continued until Camillus expired in 2007.
pirate_king

Unusual Western States Advertiser

Post by pirate_king »

Hi guys,

I've been lurking here for some time, but until now I never had a reason to post. I'm posting now, because I added a few knives to my collection this weekend. Most of the knives, while cool, are pretty straight forward (a Buck 313 and an Imperial with a trick lock. But there's one that I just can't seem to find out anything about. It's made by Western and has the tang stamp with Western State arched over Boulder, Colo. There one normal blade and one curved file/blade. The knife is engrave with:
"E.M. MCCORD
WORRELL MFG. CO.
ST. LOUIS"

Its a nice little knife and I'd love to know more if anyone has any information. Pictures are below for reference.

Thanks,
PK
Attachments
IMG_6312.JPG
IMG_6311.JPG
IMG_6306.JPG
IMG_6303.JPG
IMG_6302.JPG
IMG_6299.JPG
FRJ

Re: Unusual Western States Advertiser

Post by FRJ »

Welcome here, Pirate.
It's a nice little Lobster pattern with a desirable curved stamp from a great old maker with lots of history.
You got a good one.
Joe
pirate_king

Post by pirate_king »

Thanks Joe. I do really like this one. It is now my second western states knife, and I suspect it won't be my last.
btrwtr
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by btrwtr »

Thanks for posting pirate_king. The stamp on your knife falls in the 1911-1951 time frame.

Information from a quick Google search indicates Worrell made insecticides and disinfectants. Not much found after the 1920's so you might assume they changed names or went out of business after that.

Western did quite a bit of business with celluloid handled advertising knives in the area around Boulder Co. I'm sure they made a respectable marketing effort to acquire sales closer to home and away from the big cutlery companies in the east.

Thanks for showing!

Wayne
If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants.

Wayne

Please visit My AAPK store https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/catalog/btrwtr
pirate_king

Post by pirate_king »

Thanks Wayne. That jives with what I was able to find our about Worrell as well. Leads me to believe that the knife was made around 1920.

Return to “Western Cutlery Collector's Forum”