The Western Bowie / W49 Identification Thread

In 1911, H. N. Platts, was able to draw on his extensive friendships and family connections in the cutlery world to start Western States Cutlery and Manufacturing of Boulder Colorado. At first only a jobbing business, by 1920 construction and machinery purchases were underway to begin manufacture of knives. Through name changes--to Western States Cutlery Co. in 1953, then Western Cutlery Co. in 1956--and moves first across town and later to Longmont Colorado, the company stayed under the leadership of the Platt family until 1984. In that year, the company was sold to Coleman, becoming Coleman-Western. Eventually purchased by Camillus in 1991, Western continued until Camillus expired in 2007.
Khopesh

Re: The Western Bowie / W49 Identification Thread

Post by Khopesh » Tue Apr 30, 2019 11:17 pm

Hey thanks for the reply Doubble Z.

I just now, today realized I posted in a “Western Bowie” thread, in which this knife is not. I was up late and a bit groggy! LOL

So, how long do you believe this knife to be from stem to stern (end to end)? The condition looks rough. I’ve only seen the pics so far. Also, (I know it’s difficult to assess from only pics) but if you were to ‘take a stab’ at the value, what would it be.I have not ruled out buying it, but unsure what to offer.

Thanks again for any replies!

Oh, right after I sent the first message I found this...
(Isn’t that how it always goes though!)
Attachments
Western 1
Western 1
Western 2
Western 2
Western 3
Western 3
Western 4
Western 4

zzyzzogeton

Post by zzyzzogeton » Wed May 01, 2019 2:14 am

Value is hard to determine, especially just from pics. In general, the 48As will run from $20 to $80, depending on condition and who's looking for them at the time.

That one looks like it's been rode hard and put up wet. Probably will clean up well, but the sheath will always stay rough. I personally would not pay over $30 or $40 for it, but then I have a bunch of then already.

Khopesh

Post by Khopesh » Wed May 01, 2019 3:17 am

Okay great. Thanks for the advice. I don’t have any of them, and was going to start with this one if I can get it for cheap.
It was posted at $150, which made me laugh. I initially was going to offer $20, and see how many swear words I can evoke from the fellow! LOL

People often think I’m lowballing them, but in reality I’m just offering what I think is a fair price, condition and all.

Thanks again ZZ.

Return to “Western Cutlery Collector's Forum”